A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 07, 2024, 07:03:08 pm
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlett Square Fountain  (Read 80734 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2014, 03:46:32 pm »

I had this environmental event downtown today on the block to the north of the Bartlett Fountain. We had 30 plus booths and a live band. The fountain sprayed water all over because of the wind and ran down the street to the north in a three foot wide path. If affected the sound systems of the band and meant festival goers to have to jump across the flowing water to get across the street.

I didn't realize that when the Mayor said he was going to put water in the river he meant the new river on Main Street.

River Bartlett.

Well that'll make Mayfest a hoot if there's a breeze.
saintnicster
« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2014, 08:16:47 am »

Well that'll make Mayfest a hoot if there's a breeze.

Since they announced the new fountain, I've been picturing it being used as a splash pad.

Though looking at the implementation, it's a very aggressive splash pad Cheesy
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2014, 09:53:02 am »

Fountain height needs to be inversely proportional to wind speed.

1 word:  anemometer
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2014, 11:05:28 am »

Fountain height needs to be inversely proportional to wind speed.

1 word:  anemometer

It might blow the surge protector
davideinstein
« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2014, 02:56:50 pm »

I am playing it this summer.

Cheesy
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2014, 01:27:19 pm »

I had this environmental event downtown today on the block to the north of the Bartlett Fountain. We had 30 plus booths and a live band. The fountain sprayed water all over because of the wind and ran down the street to the north in a three foot wide path. If affected the sound systems of the band and meant festival goers to have to jump across the flowing water to get across the street.

I didn't realize that when the Mayor said he was going to put water in the river he meant the new river on Main Street.

River Bartlett.
So did you call anyone at Public Works? 

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2014, 05:55:26 pm »

I reported it to Paul Strizek and Tom Baker. Who should I have called?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:12 am »

I reported it to Paul Strizek and Tom Baker. Who should I have called?
Those are great, just wondering if you had done anything with it.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:46 am »

River Bartlet flows anytime the wind downtown is over 10mph or so.  I'd venture 3 days a week.  The rivernisnt because of water blowing that far - the drainage grates are only 4" or so wide.  The water simply flows OVER the grate.

The fountain is the same basic design as one at TU between engineering buildings.  They have a MUCH wider platform (twice as wide) and still have drain grates twice as large.

The downtown fountain should have had another town of drains where the brick starts, or otherwise planned for this foreseeable issue.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2014, 02:39:33 pm »

River Bartlet flows anytime the wind downtown is over 10mph or so.  I'd venture 3 days a week.  The rivernisnt because of water blowing that far - the drainage grates are only 4" or so wide.  The water simply flows OVER the grate.

The fountain is the same basic design as one at TU between engineering buildings.  They have a MUCH wider platform (twice as wide) and still have drain grates twice as large.

The downtown fountain should have had another town of drains where the brick starts, or otherwise planned for this foreseeable issue.

I mentioned it to Paul Zachary today; the fountain appears to have a variable flow controller as does the 6th and Boston fountain which also douses the street when the winds are blowing hard.  It'll get tuned. 

Has anyone else seen the Bartlett Fountain at night, pretty darn cool looking and anyone who drives through/over it will have intended to do so in my humble opinion.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2014, 02:51:19 pm »

I agree!  I like the fountain a lot.  Adds life to the intersection and pretty colors at night. 

You'd just think the fountain designer/engineering firm would have encountered this issue.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »

I agree!  I like the fountain a lot.  Adds life to the intersection and pretty colors at night. 

You'd just think the fountain designer/engineering firm would have encountered this issue.
I'm guessing this is just a tuning issue.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #192 on: April 23, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »

Bartlett Fountain Rededicated

http://kwgs.com/post/video-bartlett-fountain-rededicated

Mayor Dewey F. Bartlett Jr., joined by District 4 City Councilor Blake Ewing and Downtown Coordinating Council Chairman George Shahadi, held a dedication today for the new Bartlett Square Fountain at Fifth Street and Main Street in downtown Tulsa.

The new fountain in the middle of the traffic roundabout features nine water jets springing from openings in the round structure. LED lights illuminate the fountain at night.

Construction of the fountain was completed in March. Tulsa firm Howell & VanCuren designed the plans for the fountain. The City contracted with Voy Construction for this $448,000 project. Funding for the project has come from Vision 2025 funds for historical markers and $100,000 in insurance claims from damage to the previous fountain.

Bartlett Square is named after Mayor Bartlett’s father, Dewey F. Bartlett Sr., who served as an Oklahoma State Senator, Governor of Oklahoma, and a U.S. Senator.

davideinstein
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2014, 02:58:19 pm »

I mentioned it to Paul Zachary today; the fountain appears to have a variable flow controller as does the 6th and Boston fountain which also douses the street when the winds are blowing hard.  It'll get tuned. 

Has anyone else seen the Bartlett Fountain at night, pretty darn cool looking and anyone who drives through/over it will have intended to do so in my humble opinion.

Yeah it's a great addition to the neighborhood for sure.
davideinstein
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2014, 02:28:05 pm »

Broken again?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org