A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 01:40:10 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlett Square Fountain  (Read 80931 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2007, 01:06:57 pm »

I can see it now -- an impenetrable barrier made up of $1500 Acorn lights.  ...or maybe if it's bright enough the drunks will actually slow down thinking they can order a Big Mac...

Downtown fountain hit a third time; lights slated

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=070303_Ne_A11_Downt16464

Like moths unable to stop themselves from flying into a flame, some drivers seem to be drawn to the Bartlett Square fountain, which was struck in the dark by a motorist for the third documented time.

A security guard discovered an abandoned car that had crashed into the fountain, located in the middle of a traffic circle at Fifth and Main streets, early Friday.

Jim Norton, president of Downtown Tulsa Unlimited, said Friday that repairs to the fountain will begin soon.

"We're going to put lights on it and make it more visible when it's repaired," Norton said. "It will be a matter of days before it (repair work) begins."

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2007, 02:58:52 pm »

This is absolutely baffling.  How can people be driving forward and not see that fountain?  Its not that dark in that area no matter what time of night it is and if your driving at night you would have your car lights on anyway.   Its not like that fountain is unexpectedly darting out into the middle of the street like a child or another car.  I mean if you can't see something that large, right in front of you and not moving, how do these people drive at all?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2007, 04:48:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

This is absolutely baffling.  How can people be driving forward and not see that fountain?  Its not that dark in that area no matter what time of night it is and if your driving at night you would have your car lights on anyway.   Its not like that fountain is unexpectedly darting out into the middle of the street like a child or another car.  I mean if you can't see something that large, right in front of you and not moving, how do these people drive at all?

Alcohol has been involved in all three crashes.

I drove past it this afternoon, doesn't look too bad. Nice scuff marks on the curb.
deinstein
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2007, 12:47:07 am »

This is the second Owasso girl's MySpace...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=46588518

She went to high school with my roommate. I think this is her third DUI he said. We had a laugh about it. These people could have rides if they would just make a simple phone call.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2007, 07:35:52 am »

Third! Thats horrible. Don't they have a 3 strikes and your out law? She should go to jail before she kills someone.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2007, 08:46:48 am »

Are there even any bars in that area of downtown? How are drunks even finding that place?

I've been drinking enough times downtown to know that you'd almost have to go out of your way to do something that foolish.

---Robert
deinstein
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

Well, they are girls from Owasso...not the sharpest tools in the shed.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2007, 01:46:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

Well, they are girls from Owasso...not the sharpest tools in the shed.

**ouch* (or as spelled in Owasso: ouwach)
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2007, 02:56:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

Are there even any bars in that area of downtown? How are drunks even finding that place?

I've been drinking enough times downtown to know that you'd almost have to go out of your way to do something that foolish.

That's what I want to know!  I've been to a lot of bars downtown, and I have NEVER wound up on Main...All the bars seem to be north of the railroad tracks, and Main doesn't even go through to that area.  Seems like you see most traffic zooming down Cincinnatti or Denver to get to the BA or Riverside.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2007, 03:16:12 pm »

I am not here to argue in favor of more drunk Owasso girls coming to Tulsa...but I can see how people would hit this fountain.

First of all, where else in town do you have a little traffic circle like this? The fountain is small, dark and dull colored, and the driver is distracted by looking at all the tall buildings.

I think the size of the fountain is the biggest problem. It is too small to see and too big to be in the middle of the road.

We can do better.

Power is nothing till you use it.
deinstein
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2007, 08:25:28 pm »

Personally, I think people driving drunk is the biggest problem. [}:)]
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2007, 01:42:24 pm »

On the bright side, the fountain prevents northbound drunks from crashing into the Crowne Plaza Hotel (which is in the middle of the street another block or two up the road)!
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2007, 09:00:46 pm »

"Three strikes and you're out."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070303_Ne_A11_Downt16464&breadcrumb=Article%20Search

The article says that the fountain was first turned on in March of 2005, and was hit for the first time in May 2005.  So it was in operation for...uh...2 months...2 years ago?

Perhaps instead of repairing it, DTU should replace it with a rubber one.  Or maybe the fountain could be like one of the city park's "splash pads."  The jets of water would come right out of the ground.  You could drive over it any time you wanted to rinse the salt from the undercarriage of your car...
MichaelC
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2007, 09:02:41 pm »

Make it to where it explodes on contact.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2007, 10:58:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC

Make it to where it explodes on contact.

Feeling a little bloody today, arent we?
Maybe not a deterrent, but at least no repeat offenders:

Light fixture kills motorist
http://www.starnews.com/article.php?lightpm0103.html
The Indianapolis Star

A 24-year-old woman died this morning when her car struck a light pole and the lamp crashed through the sunroof striking her, Marion County sheriff's deputies said.

The victim, Shawna Perry, 8100 block of Ehlerbrook Road, was the only occupant in the car.

Her car left the roadway in the 7800 block of Shelbyville Road on the Southeastside. The car struck a light pole marking a neighborhood entrance.

The decorative, cast iron fixture and glass globe, fell through the car's sunroof and struck Perry in the head, said Sgt. Jan Kistler. Perry, a waitress, died at the scene.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org