A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 10:01:17 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlett Square Fountain  (Read 81118 times)
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2010, 11:58:37 am »

They need to put some barriers around it that can stop a vehicle from crashing into it.  While they are at it, make it an impressive water fountain and traffic circle.  That's the least they could do to make up for tearing out the main mall.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2011, 10:19:54 am »

TULSA, Oklahoma -- A driver appears to have survived a close encounter with a downtown Tulsa fountain. Tulsa police were called to the traffic circle at Main and 5th Street just after 3 a.m. Sunday after a pickup hit the fountain in the middle of the street.

Corporal August Terbrock said the driver failed to follow the circle and instead hit the Bartlett Square fountain, ramping over the concrete water feature and landing on the other side of Main. There was significant damage to the truck and the fountain.

Terbrock said the driver, a male in his 20s, was knocked unconscious at impact and was taken to a Tulsa hospital.

There was some talk about not enough light, but in the photo, it looks like their might be the wrong kind of light.
Some (not all) city planners just dont realize that Acorn lights are mostly glare, which results in poor night vision, which results in...

* 14329441_BG3.jpg (34.62 KB - downloaded 228 times.)
* 14329441_BG1.jpg (43.52 KB - downloaded 237 times.)

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2011, 10:42:20 am »

TULSA, Oklahoma -- A driver appears to have survived a close encounter with a downtown Tulsa fountain. Tulsa police were called to the traffic circle at Main and 5th Street just after 3 a.m. Sunday after a pickup hit the fountain in the middle of the street.

Corporal August Terbrock said the driver failed to follow the circle and instead hit the Bartlett Square fountain, ramping over the concrete water feature and landing on the other side of Main. There was significant damage to the truck and the fountain.

Terbrock said the driver, a male in his 20s, was knocked unconscious at impact and was taken to a Tulsa hospital.

There was some talk about not enough light, but in the photo, it looks like their might be the wrong kind of light.
Some (not all) city planners just dont realize that Acorn lights are mostly glare, which results in poor night vision, which results in...

No offense patric, but I doubt very seriously lighting was the contributing cause. To pull an Evel Kienevel and jump the fountain he had to be doing over the speed limit which is 25 IIRC.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2011, 11:20:39 am »

Indeed, speed and alcohol much more likely culprits than lighting.  Was an Owasso cheerleader in the truck?

Possibly a preview of things to come at 10th/11th & Elgin.  Maybe that plan should include the installation of rubber bumpers.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2011, 11:29:06 am »

Knocked unconscious or passed out?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2011, 11:44:40 am »

Maybe that plan should include the installation of rubber bumpers.

Rubber bumpers would bounce the offending vehicle back into traffic.  Something along the line of the yellow barrels that are by bridge piers on the turnpikes would certainly be advisable.

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2011, 12:18:27 pm »

Lets turn it into a giant pit that swallows cars.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2011, 12:20:32 pm »

Lets turn it into a giant pit that swallows cars.

It would have be pretty huge to not quickly fill up.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2011, 12:24:55 pm »

No offense patric, but I doubt very seriously lighting was the contributing cause. To pull an Evel Kienevel and jump the fountain he had to be doing over the speed limit which is 25 IIRC.

No offense taken.  Speed appears to be the culprit, but something else may have contributed to him not being able to see the fountain he Dukes-of-Hazard-ed over.   

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2011, 12:33:17 pm »

Blind drunk?

No offense taken.  Speed appears to be the culprit, but something else may have contributed to him not being able to see the fountain he Dukes-of-Hazard-ed over.   

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2011, 12:42:21 pm »

Blind drunk?

Likely.  Also consider texting etc.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2011, 12:43:57 pm »

Blind drunk?

+1

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
ttownclown
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2011, 12:53:19 pm »

I think it's time we cut our losses and remove the fountain from the middle of the street. That thing is trashed.

The original concept photos of the "New Main Mall' showed another fountain at the southeast corner of 4th & Main (caddy corner to Arbys).  I think the convenience store at the corner still has those photos up on his wall. Maybe they can use the insurance money to re-build it there?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2011, 01:05:29 pm »

I think it's time we cut our losses and remove the fountain from the middle of the street. That thing is trashed.

The original concept photos of the "New Main Mall' showed another fountain at the southeast corner of 4th & Main (caddy corner to Arbys).  I think the convenience store at the corner still has those photos up on his wall. Maybe they can use the insurance money to re-build it there?

Think of the fountain as a harsh punishment for being a stupid driver.  Perhaps an expensive speed bump experience.  A drunk driver trap.

It makes me think about the road around the NW side of Maui (Hawaii). Steep drop-offs, narrow one lane in many spots, blind corners.  My friend and I determined it to be the Maui anti-drunk-driving program to not improve the road.

Edit:
See pictures of the road on Maui
http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Kahekili-Hwy.htm

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:42:36 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »

Think of the fountain as a harsh punishment for being a stupid driver.  Perhaps an expensive speed bump experience.  A drunk driver trap.

It makes me think about the road around the NW side of Maui (Hawaii). Steep drop-offs, narrow one lane in many spots, blind corners.  My friend and I determined it to be the Maui anti-drunk-driving program to not improve the road.

Edit:
See pictures of the road on Maui
http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Kahekili-Hwy.htm

Yes, it is the Bartlett Fountain Hall of Shame - never underestimate the power of public humiliation.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org