A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 10:02:06 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bartlett Square Fountain  (Read 81121 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2011, 08:04:41 pm »

They should re-name it "The FADD Fountain"....Fountains Against Drunk Drivers.....

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2011, 06:56:21 am »

They should re-name it "The FADD Fountain"....Fountains Against Drunk Drivers.....

It is time that we gave it a name so it can enter the lexicon of other Tulsa land marks like "Duct Tape Arena", "Hyperdermic Needle" "Homeless Highrise" etc.

I submit the below
Drunk Diver Fountain
Bartlett Square Circle
Car Pool
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2011, 11:40:53 am »

It is time that we gave it a name so it can enter the lexicon of other Tulsa land marks like "Duct Tape Arena", "Hyperdermic Needle" "Homeless Highrise" etc.

I submit the below
Drunk Diver Fountain
Bartlett Square Circle
Car Pool

Bullseye
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2011, 11:42:34 am »

Bullseye

Speedbump
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2011, 11:47:08 am »

Think of the fountain as a harsh punishment for being a stupid driver.  Perhaps an expensive speed bump experience.  A drunk driver trap.

It makes me think about the road around the NW side of Maui (Hawaii). Steep drop-offs, narrow one lane in many spots, blind corners.  My friend and I determined it to be the Maui anti-drunk-driving program to not improve the road.

Edit:
See pictures of the road on Maui
http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Kahekili-Hwy.htm

I have driven that highway in Maui.  Stunningly beautiful but very nerve-wracking.  Luckily I drove it early in the morning when I had to "pass" only 2 cars on a one land road above 200 ft. cliffs with sheer rock on one side and the ocean on the other..

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2011, 12:01:35 pm »

Speedbump
Bartlett... Oh, wait
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2011, 01:10:17 pm »

I have driven that highway in Maui.  Stunningly beautiful but very nerve-wracking.  Luckily I drove it early in the morning when I had to "pass" only 2 cars on a one land road above 200 ft. cliffs with sheer rock on one side and the ocean on the other..

Did you go around the SE part of the island too.  Also very pretty.  The General Store in Kaupo (sp?) was an interesting collection of old cameras and typewriters.  I bought a Tee shirt.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2011, 02:01:08 pm »

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=14335889

TULSA, Oklahoma -- A City of Tulsa engineer says damage to the fountain in Bartlett Square is severe and could require replacement of everything but the plumbing.

A driver ran his pickup into the fountain early Sunday with enough force to vault over the backside of the fountain and land just outside the intersection.

The plumbing in the fountain continued working, though the concrete on all sides is damaged.

The driver was injured and Tulsa Police officers at the scene suspected he had been drinking. A blood alcohol test was ordered and authorities are waiting for the results before pursuing charges.

Engineer Chris Cox said if the fountain is rebuilt with the current design, the City would add steel bollards around the perimeter to protect it.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2011, 02:11:01 pm »

But really, if someone's drunk, that the first thing TPD tells the media, right?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2011, 02:11:39 pm »

Hazzard Founty
Main Distraction
Cheerleader Magnet
Oh Crap
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2011, 06:35:18 pm »

The full damage:

http://twitpic.com/4eduts/full
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2011, 06:38:08 pm »

I think it should be replace with a giant cone.  That way when somebody tries to jump the fountain as long as they are going, say.. 35mph or higher they can make it to the other side.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2011, 07:08:03 pm »

I think it should be replace with a giant cone.  That way when somebody tries to jump the fountain as long as they are going, say.. 35mph or higher they can make it to the other side.

Watching too much "Dukes of Hazard"?

Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2011, 05:43:14 am »

Watching too much "Dukes of Hazard"?

I sure wish the powers that be would admit that paltry fountain was a huge mistake and put something in that is more substantial. 
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2011, 06:11:32 am »

I sure wish the powers that be would admit that paltry fountain was a huge mistake and put something in that is more substantial. 
Like a Sherman tank?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org