A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 11:21:18 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kaiser River Plan Revealed  (Read 21895 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« on: February 09, 2007, 08:26:20 am »

River Parks Plan: Gift lets trails double up
By P.J. LASSEK World Staff Writer
2/9/2007

Kaiser donation of $12.4 million set for parks
The George Kaiser Family Foundation will announce Friday that it is giving $12.4 million to create a premier trail system in the River Parks.

The donation is the largest private gift in the 32-year history of the River Parks Authority.

The funds will be added to $2.4 million in 2006 third-penny sales tax money allocated to River Parks for a total of $15 million to fund the project.

The money will be used to create a dual trail system for pedestrians and cyclists that replaces the existing River Parks trails on the banks of the Arkansas River between 11th and 71st streets.

The river has become an area of intense interest for the community, and "the trail system is something that can be done irrespective of what else is done along the river," George Kaiser said.

A news conference to announce the trail enhancements will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at 41st Street and Riverside Drive.

Kaiser said the first step to improving the river "is to bring the trail system up to the standards of excellence that we think Tulsa deserves."

The 32-year-old trails have outgrown their use, he said.

"We want to create a trail system  

that has community gathering spots, places where people from all ends of the community come to recreate, celebrate or exercise." Kaiser said.

"We have the bare beginnings of that . . . but much more can be done," he said

Read On
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 09:27:20 am »

Turkey Mountain:

Crow Creek Bridge:

Map:
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 09:27:59 am »

Overall a very welcomed change.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 10:01:16 am »

Finally, somebody that gets it. It's kinda off the subject, but I think it would be really cool if there was a carousel ride in river parks like the one in Central Park.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 10:14:29 am »

All the talk about doing something with the river, finally someone steps and DOES something.

Thank you.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 10:54:43 am »

I agree the monies are great, but with that much money we can do much more than just jogging trails. Not everyone is into jogging. We can make River park a show place.

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 10:57:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

I agree the monies are great, but with that much money we can do much more than just jogging trails. Not everyone is into jogging. We can make River park a show place.

It would be nice to do more, but the jogging trails, biking trails, as well as safety barriers and landscaping will improve the overall infrastructure and allow for future projects. It is a very good place to start from.
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 11:02:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

It would be nice to do more, but the jogging trails, biking trails, as well as safety barriers and landscaping will improve the overall infrastructure and allow for future projects. It is a very good place to start from.

I agree. Considering this is private money being used for public improvements of a basic nature, it is hard to be too critical.

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 11:20:14 am »

I completely agree that these improvements will lead to other good development. Huge chunk of private money - no complaints from me there.

However, the 'chat' material has really got me concerned.  
Are they really planning to use mining waste that contains lead, cadmium, and Zink?  
Does this hold up t the "standards of excellence that we think Tulsa deserves."?!
Was this a foot-in-mouth use of the word 'chat'?

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 11:20:28 am »

Tulsa's finest asset!
waterboy
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 11:41:49 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

I completely agree that these improvements will lead to other good development. Huge chunk of private money - no complaints from me there.

Are they really planning to use mining waste that contains lead, cadmium, and Zink?  
Does this hold up t the "standards of excellence that we think Tulsa deserves."?!

I thought the poster was joking. Chat is not just from Picher and loaded with Zink and lead. It is crushed rock from many sources. I saw nowhere any mention of using tainted chat. Thats how rumors get started I guess.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 11:48:46 am »

I'm not trying to start any rumors, but I have never heard that term used to refer to any other sort of material.  This dangerous material is actually currently being used as a paving material.  There are trucks running day and night out of Pitcher, OK carrying the stuff to who knows where.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Chat, a local term for mining waste, is a lead/Zink mining waste from the tri-state mining district. Chat, also known as granular mine tailings, is composed of chert-like material, containing lead, Zink and cadmium contaminants. The tri-state region covers approximately 2,500 square miles and includes parts of Ottawa County, Oklahoma; Cherokee County, Kansas; and Jasper and Newton Counties, Missouri.

Chat is usually found in large mounds, called chat piles, that appear grayish white in color and impact surrounding environments severely. Chat can be used to sprinkle on snow-covered roads to improve traction. The surrounding area of a chat pile usually appears desolate and destroyed, with decaying trees. It is unsafe to inhale the vapors around large amounts of chat.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 11:50:37 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

I'm on the river trails every day. Personally I like to run on the pavement, but many people prefer to run on the gravel. A bifurcated jogging trail gives everyone the surface they prefer. On top of that it looks like there will be extensive soft-scaping done so that the trails will appeal to people that just want to take a stroll, or look at the river.

It is interesting that the plan includes the west bank at 21st St and that the article mentions the public projects in the 3rd penny (there were also $1m or so for bank improvements in V2025).

Just to re-cap a few of those projects are:
* An Improved "River's Edge" restaurant
* A stage at 21st on the East Bank
* A new theater on the west bank
* a marina where the current theater is
* Improvments to restrooms and the west bank play area

Sounds like Kaiser knows there will always be a west bank.
waterboy
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 11:54:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

I'm not trying to start any rumors, but I have never heard that term used to refer to any other sort of material.  This dangerous material is actually currently being used as a paving material.  There are trucks running day and night out of Pitcher, OK carrying the stuff to who knows where.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Chat, a local term for mining waste, is a lead/Zink mining waste from the tri-state mining district. Chat, also known as granular mine tailings, is composed of chert-like material, containing lead, Zink and cadmium contaminants. The tri-state region covers approximately 2,500 square miles and includes parts of Ottawa County, Oklahoma; Cherokee County, Kansas; and Jasper and Newton Counties, Missouri.

Chat is usually found in large mounds, called chat piles, that appear grayish white in color and impact surrounding environments severely. Chat can be used to sprinkle on snow-covered roads to improve traction. The surrounding area of a chat pile usually appears desolate and destroyed, with decaying trees. It is unsafe to inhale the vapors around large amounts of chat.

i'm guessing that definition was different before the internet and Wikipedia. Chat is often used as a word to describe crushed rock. If you're really worried, call someone at the Kaiser foundation and ask.
waterboy
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 12:00:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

quote:
Originally posted by jne

It is interesting that the plan includes the west bank at 21st St and that the article mentions the public projects in the 3rd penny (there were also $1m or so for bank improvements in V2025).

Just to re-cap a few of those projects are:
* An Improved "River's Edge" restaurant
* A stage at 21st on the East Bank
* A new theater on the west bank
* a marina where the current theater is

I'm sorry, these make me laugh! A marina? A stage? A theater? Please. Improving "Rivers Edge"? That wouldn't take much. How did I miss this stuff. Silliness.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org