A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 08:16:02 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: College for Downtown Tulsa.  (Read 14941 times)
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 10:25:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

Why cater to the automobile?

All you would take away are the the Cincinnati and Detroit downtown exits. Which is really one exit considering they are one way streets.

And yes, make them use the Highway 75 east section of the IDL instead...

You don't need highways on all four side of downtown. Not in the city at all...

I'm with deinstein on this one. The north leg of the IDL can go. I've thought that for years.
MichaelC
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 01:09:01 pm »

From Tulsa World

quote:
Oklahoma State University-Tulsa is researching the local cost of building student apartments after an out-of-state consultant placed the cost for about 200 units at $17.6 million.

Campus leaders still do not know whether they would break even on student housing, but they do not want to end up subsidizing it, OSU-Tulsa President Gary Trennepohl said.

MGT of America Inc. advised OSU-Tulsa's governing boards that housing would be financially feasible and that, conservatively, 228 students -- or 290 by the consultant's "moderate" estimate -- would want to live on campus in fall 2008.

Juniors, seniors and graduate students at OSU-Tulsa and Langston University-Tulsa and medical students at the OSU Center for Health Sciences, just west of the Arkansas River, would live on campus, as would married couples and families.

"It's going to be a little more mature group than you would see in the dorms in Stillwater because we don't have any freshmen or sophomores," Trennepohl said.

The housing most likely would open in July 2009, he said. OSU-Tulsa would issue bonds to pay for construction.

The board that makes decisions about the campus' land and buildings will consider housing at its next meeting April 26
or earlier, if leaders finish their research into local housing costs before then, Trennepohl said.

Housing would change the culture of the campus because students would be present all the time, he said.

It would benefit international and out-of-state students who might not know where to find a place to live, he said.

Students surveyed by MGT said they want housing to be within eyesight of the rest of the campus.

OSU-Tulsa's master plan places housing north of downtown's Brady District, but a site has not been chosen, Trennepohl said.

Students like the idea of being near campus services and living in an academic community, the survey found.

More than half of undergraduate and health sciences students were extremely or somewhat interested in campus housing.

"We want to be at a price point that is attractive and reasonable to students," but campus leaders do not know whether they can do that and still provide all the amenities students said they want, Trennepohl said.
deinstein
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2007, 02:00:54 pm »

That's great news.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2007, 09:55:09 pm »

I don't know, sounds like there are still plenty of ifs and buts that could derail any start soon.  I also have to point out an "I told ya so" on the "they want housing to be within eyesight of the rest of the campus" comment.

This comment is an especially troubling tea leaf.

"We want to be at a price point that is attractive and reasonable to students," but campus leaders do not know whether they can do that and still provide all the amenities students said they want, Trennepohl said.

Thats not the kind of thing that people who are excited and actively searching for creative solutions would say. Instead it sounds like the set up for an excuse.

Not saying the excuse may not be legitimate if they "do not want to subsidize" the housing.  The question will have to be answered,,, Will the students pay to stay at the campus housing versus other very cheap housing in the immediate area?  If the campus housing is nice it will cost more.  Will living on campus in more expensive housing be more desirable than living nearby in cheaper, not as expensive housing?  Do you go cheap with the campus housing to compete with cheap nearby housing?  Or is it your trying to build nice housing to compete with the "trendy" stuff downtown? The "dont want to be left subsidizing" comment is veeeery interesting.

April 26th will tell.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
osupokie
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2007, 09:09:16 pm »

OSU-T is an excellent start for downtown, but it is going nowhere rather quickly.  There is such a plan as 20,000 students by 2020 which will never happen.  More like 5 to 10,000.  What should happen is that TCC and OSU-T should combine campuses, funding, and faculty.  This would eliminate duplicate personel and degrees.  Slowly closing wasted TCC campuses and building up OSU-T would be a huge benefit for Tulsa.  Tulsa would have a MAJOR university in the area with 20,000 students!  TCC could keep a campus going just for students who wish to get an associates degree.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2007, 09:53:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by osupokie

OSU-T is an excellent start for downtown, but it is going nowhere rather quickly.  There is such a plan as 20,000 students by 2020 which will never happen.  More like 5 to 10,000.  What should happen is that TCC and OSU-T should combine campuses, funding, and faculty.  This would eliminate duplicate personel and degrees.  Slowly closing wasted TCC campuses and building up OSU-T would be a huge benefit for Tulsa.  Tulsa would have a MAJOR university in the area with 20,000 students!  TCC could keep a campus going just for students who wish to get an associates degree.

TCC is a COMMUNITY college. They have 4 regional campuses for a reason, to educate the masses. The includes associate degrees, certification programs, continuing education, etc.

Other than a few courses, OSU and TCC do not really overlap that much. NSU works cooperatively with TCC and graduates hundreds in Broken Arrow. Plenty of cities have community colleges and universities operating in parallel and Tulsa can easily do the same. OSU has been dragging it's feet on new construction like the student housing while many times scapegoating TCC. There has been mention of some legislation that will help OSU Tulsa but that is not the only thing stopping OSU from expanding. OSU is not desperate to become the #1 supplier of "freshman comp" classes in Tulsa so they have little to worry about.

Keep in mind that OSU in Stillwater has a ton of students from Tulsa, many of which started at TCC. Teaching that same student base in Tulsa is a no-brainer.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2007, 08:25:44 am »

So you're moving to OKC because of TCC?  I'm so confused.  I was under the impression that TCC does their job well, serving as a JuCo for the uneducated and poor masses.  Its no Harvard, but it is also damn near free.

Does this mean I don't have to support the Tulsa Roughnecks anymore?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2007, 03:57:23 pm »

Sounds like TCC and OSU are starting to cooperate more and more. This from the OSU Tulsa/ TCC website

"  Tulsa Community College and Oklahoma State University-Tulsa are working together for Tulsa. This partnership enables students to earn a bachelor's degree while staying close to home. Students can complete freshman and sophomore courses from TCC then take junior and senior courses at OSU-Tulsa.

TCC and OSU-Tulsa students have a lot in common. Many work and have families. Many others are recent high school graduates.

The TCC/OSU-Tulsa connection gives students the "home advantage". Students can stay at home near family and work while they earn an OSU degree. TCC and OSU-Tulsa help students make a seamless transition between institutions through academic planning, joint scholarships and shared knowledge. To make advising and enrollment easier, TCC has advising staff housed at OSU-Tulsa. TCC representatives provide advising and counseling as well as admissions and enrollment information. Students can complete admission applications and registration for TCC classes. Some TCC classes are even offered on the OSU-Tulsa campus.

Both TCC and OSU-Tulsa are centrally located and have flexible schedules. OSU-Tulsa is minutes from home near downtown, just off I-244 and Highway 75. TCC has four campuses throughout the city - Metro, Northeast, Southeast, and West. Both schools offer a variety of night, weekend and distance learning courses to accommodate your schedule.

Joint Scholarships

TCC and OSU-Tulsa offer joint scholarships that make it easier to afford four years of college. The TCC/OSU-Tulsa Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to incoming TCC students who plan to transfer to OSU-Tulsa to earn a bachelor's degree. For more information, call TCC at 595-7155 or OSU-Tulsa at 594-8355. "

It would be interesting to figure out how you could psychologically connect OSU Tulsa and TCC metro to be in effect part of one campus or related.  If there was student housing on OSU Tulsas property, first year students could easily bike or shuttle to TCC metro.  Even having TCCs banners and logo half the TCC logo and half the OSU logo could create the feeling that you are going to a place that is part of one over all school.

Just like Union has a middle school and high school that are different campuses but are the same school. TCC OSU metro could be the freshmen sophomore campus and,  OSU Tulsa would be the Senior/graduate campus.  A TCC OSU metro campus hybrid could be used by OSU Tulsa in promotion and advertising as basically part of its own campus and class/degree offerings.

Oooor better yet OSU Tulsa and TCC could some day merge and become the Tulsa City University. Accepting easy tranfer of class credits from Stillwater, its satellite campus. [Tongue]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
USRufnex
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2007, 10:34:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

So you're moving to OKC because of TCC?  I'm so confused.  I was under the impression that TCC does their job well, serving as a JuCo for the uneducated and poor masses.  Its no Harvard, but it is also damn near free.

Does this mean I don't have to support the Tulsa Roughnecks anymore?

I deleted my previous post because it implied I was moving after barely being back here in Tulsa for six months.  No, the issue here is that a few years down the road moving to OKC or elsewhere could be the case for me... AGAIN.  [B)]  

It's especially frustrating when you like your current job and wouldn't want to move elsewhere... this happens to people alot in Tulsa... a city that seems to serve as a revolving door for far too many talented people... needlessly, in my opinion...

Wichita has Wichita State... OKC has UCO and OU... even Springfield, MO has Missouri State...

I just have never understood the $$$ Tulsa has showered on a junior college... it doesn't make sense... it's never made sense... how many community colleges have their own Performing Arts Center?

However, I do take exception to your statement that TCC serves "the uneducated and poor masses."  Community colleges serve everyone.  If you want to take a class here or there and don't feel like pissing your money away paying TU or ORU private school tuition for coursework, TCC's there for you...

As far as supporting efforts to secure a team from the ONLY professional major league organization that has consistently given Tulsa the time of day... a league that has off-and-on over the past decade actively recruited Tulsa to join...

I'll support any efforts for Major League Soccer in Tulsa no matter where I live... because it was great for Tulsa the last time we had it, and when I drive around east Tulsa these days, I see a community MORE likely to support high level professional soccer than the one I remember that embraced the Roughnecks back in the late 70s and early 80s...

And I may from time to time, remind Tulsans of how close we've been to getting a team in MLS...

from the April 12, 2003 New York Times (Jack Bell article)...
quote:
(MLS Commissioner Don) Garber has been trumpeting expansion, projecting a 20-team league down the road. The league knows that the Anschutz Entertainment Group, which runs six teams, is a savior and an albatross. It has provided M.L.S. with security but has also scared away some potential investors, like the billionaire Paul Allen, who do not want to sit at the children's table. Instead, it is more likely that M.L.S. will expand to smaller cities, like Cleveland, Minneapolis or Tulsa, Okla., and broaden the pool of investors before putting teams in places like Philadelphia, Houston and Seattle.

I have always been curious about what political mountains were moved to get IUPUI (Indiana Univ-Purdue Univ-Indianapolis) to become what it is today... it'd be a good model (near downtown Indy) for Tulsa to look at for what OSU-Tulsa could become...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org