A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 04:27:15 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Art Deco Park  (Read 7426 times)
sportyart
« on: March 27, 2007, 12:51:16 am »

Downtown lacks green space and I thought it might be a neat idea to take the parking lots back on the block of 6th/main/7th/boston and turn it into a nice park with swings and everything but in a more art deco style to reflect and to give information about the art deco buildings that surround it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 06:16:26 am »

That is the future location of "The Centennial Green."
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 02:38:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

And it should advertise for bids soon.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 02:53:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vision 2025

quote:

And it should advertise for bids soon.

Finally!

Got any more good news? I'll call you Santa!
sportyart
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:34:07 pm »

Sorry, I thought that project was dead sence nothing has happend.
Rico
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 09:05:41 pm »

Nice to see you are still with us SA^...

I was thinking.... all the underground work that has been going on in that area.....?
Yeah... they may need restrooms in the park....

Maybe even a drinking fountain or a water feature.. Not all that easy to do when the lines have been capped and the Public Works Dept. only has a vague idea what street they are buried on...

[}:)]
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 11:35:47 pm »

It's too bad we can't take every downtown surface lot and convert them to something more attractive. Then the people who complain about downtown parking might actually have something to complain about.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 06:18:26 am »

I thought plans were posted her somewhere but I don't think they include a bathroom.

If the city had unlimited funds, they could build a half dozen garages and close all surface parking.
Rico
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 08:30:23 am »

quote:

I thought plans were posted her somewhere but I don't think they include a bathroom.

If the city had unlimited funds, they could build a half dozen garages and close all surface parking.

^ Well if that is the case it will not be a Park designed for an afternoon or even a lunch hour...

Or just possibly the Metro Chamber is going to let the Park Goers have use of their facilities...?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:09:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

quote:

^ Well if that is the case it will not be a Park designed for an afternoon or even a lunch hour...

Or just possibly the Metro Chamber is going to let the Park Goers have use of their facilities...?

I doubt any half-block park really needs to be "full service" to get use. The plans called for a performance area and large fountain. If you add full restrooms you'd only have room left for about 6 people.
Rico
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 12:42:27 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

I doubt any half-block park really needs to be "full service" to get use. The plans called for a performance area and large fountain. If you add full restrooms you'd only have room left for about 6 people.

My apologies....... I was under the impression that it was to take up the block...
Just slightly larger than a pocket park eh....

The hobos are not going to like this..
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 01:15:56 pm »

quote:

My apologies....... I was under the impression that it was to take up the block...
Just slightly larger than a pocket park eh....

The hobos are not going to like this..

The building on the SE corner might mind.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 01:41:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sportyart

Downtown lacks green space and I thought it might be a neat idea to take the parking lots back on the block of 6th/main/7th/boston and turn it into a nice park with swings and everything but in a more art deco style to reflect and to give information about the art deco buildings that surround it.

I agree, as long as the Art Deco used in such a project is of the original 1920's-1940's vintage, and not a replica. The craftsmanship and sensibilities that went into the original Art Deco can never be replicated. I do remember Tulsa having some exquisite Art Deco at one time, but I also remember them tearing alot of it down too.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 02:22:10 pm »

I was looking at the Christies Auction site the other day and noticed they had an auction coming up that had a collection of Art-Deco pieces.  It occured to me that an Art-Deco Museum in downtown Tulsa would be a neat idea.  People love art-deco and some of the sculpture and paintings from that era are still reasonably priced.  Many available works, large sculptures, and paintings are quite stunning. Having a large collection of them in one place would be very enjoyable.  A museum of this type would be a unique promotional asset that would compliment and build upon Tulsa's art-deco heritage.

Rather than furtively searching for an image or copying what other cities have done.  
This could be yet one more example of taking something that Tulsa already has which already makes it unique compared to most cities, and building on it.  

A project like this could be started small, still be very enjoyable, and built upon over time. A couple of ground floor rooms in one of those currently unused art-deco buildings downtown would be great.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Kiah
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 12:14:42 pm »

Land Legacy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org