A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 09:41:01 pm
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1957 Plymouth dig up  (Read 120324 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2007, 10:16:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

From what I have read, 1957 was one of the wettest years on record for Tulsa and Oklahoma.  It rained nearly the entire week of the 1957 Tulsarama pageant and car burial.  Seems like history is repeating itself 50 years later!

That's right 1957 was a very rainy year also I understand Tulsa had a big flood in 1959, I have no idea where or what flooded back then. Tulsa also had a big flood in 1984 but that was not near the vault, it was around Mingo Road.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Steve
« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2007, 10:18:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

My dad owned a 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 that car also rusted out badly.

That brought back a memory!  Our neighbors had a 1958 Ford Fairlane convertible (soft top, not the retractable hardtop), red and white color scheme.  I remember riding in that car as a kid and the floor pans were rusted out so badly that we could watch the ground whiz by!  We had to be careful where we stepped getting in and out of that car, so we didn't fall through, and this was around 1965, when the car was only 7 years old!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2007, 10:31:40 am »

quote:

quote:

That brought back a memory!  Our neighbors had a 1958 Ford Fairlane convertible (soft top, not the retractable hardtop), red and white color scheme.  I remember riding in that car as a kid and the floor pans were rusted out so badly that we could watch the ground whiz by!  We had to be careful where we stepped getting in and out of that car, so we didn't fall through, and this was around 1965, when the car was only 7 years old!

WoW...Was that in Tulsa? That kind of major rust most offten happens in northern states.. My dad's 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 was two tone a brown top and white body with brown cloth seats inside. It was a two door. it looked vey nice when new. He had the straight 6 cylinder and stick shift trans. But in the 1960's it turned into swiss cheese, my dad tryed to spray primer on it and bondo up the holes. The top of the headlights rusted out bad. Ford also had a famous "Skyliner" car one year with a retractable roof, but rumor has it  used to break down offten, and the top also got stuck alot. Today those cars are worth alot of money. You also had no trunk space on that "Skyliner" car. I forgot the year I think it was '59 but could of been '57. Ford did not keep that model.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Steve
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2007, 11:23:56 am »

Just watched on TV Ch 2, them raise the old gal out of the vault and put her on the trailer.

I guess it doesn't take much to thrill me, but that was just about the coolest, nifty, tough, neat-o groovy thing I have seen in a long, long time!  Makes me proud to be a Tulsan today!

Now if I can just survive the next 6 hours until the big reveal...
Steve
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2007, 11:30:21 am »

quote:

quote:

quote:

WoW...Was that in Tulsa? That kind of major rust most offten happens in northern states.. My dad's 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 was two tone a brown top and white body with brown cloth seats inside. It was a two door. it looked vey nice when new. He had the straight 6 cylinder and stick shift trans. But in the 1960's it turned into swiss cheese, my dad tryed to spray primer on it and bondo up the holes. The top of the headlights rusted out bad. Ford also had a famous "Skyliner" car one year with a retractable roof, but rumor has it  used to break down offten, and the top also got stuck alot. Today those cars are worth alot of money. You also had no trunk space on that "Skyliner" car. I forgot the year I think it was '59 but could of been '57. Ford did not keep that model.

Yea, that bad rust out was on a Tulsa car.  We do use salt on the streets sometimes for ice, but I think the metal quality of those late 1950s cars was so poor that location did not make much of a difference.

Ford produced the retractable hardtop Skyliner for the 58, 59 and 60 model years I believe.  Originally intended for the Lincoln division, it was put on the cheaper, bigger selling Ford  to help recoup development and tooling costs.  The power mechanism was remarkably reliable, but a bit*h to work manually if it broke down.  The 58-59 cars were badged Fairlane and Skyliner; the 1960 models were badged Galaxie and Skyliner, I believe.
Steve
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2007, 11:47:56 am »

quote:

Just watched on TV Ch 2, them raise the old gal out of the vault and put her on the trailer.

I guess it doesn't take much to thrill me, but that was just about the coolest, nifty, tough, neat-o groovy thing I have seen in a long, long time!  Makes me proud to be a Tulsan today!

When they lifted her up, you could very clearly see the outline of the "sportone" contrasting side trim all down the side of the car, because the baggie was hugging the sides due to water or weight.  What a thrill.

Assuming the microfilm is intact, can anyone verify when they are going to announce the official winning contest entry?  I think they said today on Ch. 2, but I did not catch that part.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2007, 11:55:38 am »

She is in bad shape....I ended up going down....I had a good view of the exposed Fin.....Lots of Cancer on that portion.....

daddys little squirt
« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2007, 11:58:27 am »

My guess for the inside of the car. The cigarettes, change and case of beer are gone. A skeleton of a bum with a sign, "will work for food" behind the steering wheel.[Wink]
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2007, 12:04:50 pm »

I think what you do now is recover the vault she was sitting in and cut the front wall out and disply the car in it's state of the last 50 years (uncovered of course).......Route 66 museum seems like the approprite place to me....

MichaelC
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2007, 12:10:29 pm »

That KOTV e-clip has a good up close glimpse of that exposed fin.  

It was brown, but something I noticed was a whitish area where it had been scratched on the bumper.  As if that brown stuff might be a coating, and the chrome was being exposed underneath.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2007, 12:11:45 pm »

quote:

quote:

When they lifted her up, you could very clearly see the outline of the "sportone" contrasting side trim all down the side of the car, because the baggie was hugging the sides due to water or weight.  What a thrill.

Assuming the microfilm is intact, can anyone verify when they are going to announce the official winning contest entry?  I think they said today on Ch. 2, but I did not catch that part.

Microfilm goes to De Loitte & Touche after they open the capsule.  Winner will be announced next Friday at a news conference.  They have the whole sched at the buriedcar.com site.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2007, 12:20:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

quote:

Microfilm goes to De Loitte & Touche after they open the capsule.  Winner will be announced next Friday at a news conference.  They have the whole sched at the buriedcar.com site.

IN addition to the car, they win the savings account which is worth about $1200 now.  So all would not be lost Smiley

MichaelC
« Reply #177 on: June 15, 2007, 12:21:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC

That KOTV e-clip has a good up close glimpse of that exposed fin.  

It was brown, but something I noticed was a whitish area where it had been scratched on the bumper.  As if that brown stuff might be a coating, and the chrome was being exposed underneath.

Here it is:

http://www.kotv.com/e-clips/?id=6748
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2007, 12:28:12 pm »

I went down there over my lunch break - got there about 12:50 or so - of course the car had already been taken away for "dry cleaning" - but the atmosphere was pretty cool even then.

I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to the Tulsa County officers on duty at the vault. They were smiling and breaking up pieces of the vault seal (cement/gunnite stuff) and handing these mementos out to people. (I got one!)

Their attitude and smiles must make Tulsa look like a great city. I was proud of these guys and gals in tan - GREAT JOB! Thanks for being genuinely nice and pleasant.
jof
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2007, 12:31:12 pm »

Hello,

sounds exciting. Again my question: if somebody took some pictures (or will take some tonight), please send them over here to Germany to jof@gmx.li

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Jörg
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org