A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 08:36:48 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what is going in at eight one eight?  (Read 4072 times)
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« on: June 07, 2007, 11:03:05 am »

rumor has it that it is elliot nelson with another venture...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
southerngirl
Citizen

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 09:00:42 pm »

According to a recent Urban Tulsa story, the owner and another young developer of downtown will be revamping the space:

One young mogul trying to change that is independent developer Micha Alexander. The owner of 8 One Eight Lounge, 818 E. 3rd St., has decided to close his bar and focus on affordable residential development in an effort to bring people downtown--not just to work and play, but also to live.

He's already filled his Virginia Lofts, at 3rd and Lansing, as well as the few lofts he opened above his bar, and now he's focusing on building urban, loft-style houses that people can buy rather than rent, so they're investing their money and planting their seeds in downtown.

Alexander said he isn't closing his business for any financial reasons; it just took up a lot of his time, and he "recognize the fact that I need to bring more people down here to live, so I'm going to focus my energy on my manufacturing company [Maverick Machine] and building housing."

As of yet, he plans to build a three-story house on what is currently 8 One Eight's patio and two other houses next door. When asked for his opinion on what he calls the "never ending chicken and egg discussion," Alexander said, "My feeling is that once more people are living down here, more businesses will be attracted to the area."

Alexander also owns a handful of retail spaces, currently leasing them to the owners of Elements Salon, the Pearl Gallery, Fringe! Knit Café, a doggy daycare and a barbershop.
(From the "Wildflowers" cover story, 4/25/07)

I hope he keeps the mural on the patio wall...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 08:34:42 am »

Pardon my ignorance, is 818 the old "Fur Shop"?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 08:57:44 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Is "fur Shop" code-speak for something naughty?   As far as i know 8 One Eight was a "wine bar".
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 09:15:37 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BKDotCom

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Is "fur Shop" code-speak for something naughty?   As far as i know 8 One Eight was a "wine bar".

[}:)]

One of Nelson Roger's sons (Nelson's Buffeteria) opened a bar down in an old fur storage building on E. 3rd about ten or so years back.  I just can't remember the hundred block it was located in and I seldom drive by there anymore.  I usually get off the IDL at 7th St. to go where I'm going downtown.

It was a stand-alone building with a large fenced-in patio.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 09:44:29 am »

I dont know if this is good news or bad news.  Closing an existing business to try and develop housing downtown.  Lose one in the hand for 2 in the bush?  D'oh, keep 'em all!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:48:49 am »

the point was, i know that it micah closed it but elliot is reportedly developing something in the space... the "fur shop" was/is at 2nd and frankfurt and has been closed for a couple of years (it was the sharps i love the oscn)... it has been two or three extra crappy bars since then (recently it was "cronies" and maybe somethingelse)... the worst thing they ever did was closing off the front door and filling the steps with concrete... well that and the drugs and underage drinking, which really had more to do with a few employees...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
bigdtottown
Activist

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:47:21 am »

My wife and I loved 818, I think they were sort of a Martini bar although I never had one there.  I'd heard Micah's residential projects were all very successful and he seems to be tapping into an unmet demand.  Hopefully Elliot will keep the cool atmosphere...it was not your typical beer joint, which most cities have plenty of.  BTW, I really enjoy Elliots other place...reminds me of The Gingerman.

Buck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org