A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 04:26:18 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City unearths sidewalk lights  (Read 4207 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: June 08, 2007, 12:56:29 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070608_238_A1_hUnex60111

My friends working at 5th and Boston are wondering why Boston isn't shut down to hurry this along.  I saw the area, no usable sidewalks at all.  People are walking in traffic to get to work.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 02:41:52 pm »

The property owners would throw a fit if you shut down auto traffic. Only traffic they care about.

I want them to restore the skylights.
Steve
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 06:28:59 pm »

I read the article in this morning's paper, but it was very sketchy.  Were these uncovered shafts actually skylights to let in natural light to the basement, or were they ventilation shafts?  As I recall, the article only mentioned the skylights early on, and then shifted focus for the remainder 3/4ths of the article to construction.  There was no definate proof presented that these were originally basement skylights, only speculation.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:04:29 pm »

Ive visited some larger cities where it was not at all unusual to have sections of sidewalk made of glass bricks, and at night to be able to see a glow coming up from beneath them from the rooms below.

Surely someone will figure out what an architectural treasure we've stumbled across, and will modify their plans to restore it rather than cover it over with concrete.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:28:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Surely someone will figure out what an architectural treasure we've stumbled across, and will modify their plans to restore it rather than cover it over with concrete.

Please do tell...how is it that you've come to the automatic conclusion that these skylights are now "architectural treasures"??

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:59:23 am »

If they are anything like the "glass sidewalk" I described earlier they might be worth preserving, but if your point is that I havent actually seen the ones at the Kennedy building yet, that is so.  Might be a nice, historically significant touch to the streetscape (much more so that a sucky reproduction Acorn light in your face) and an opportunity that shouldnt be overlooked.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 10:02:28 am »

Sounds to me like any glass/glass bricks are gone since they are talking about concrete falling into a basement, not into a window.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:10:42 am »

I would guess they won't replace the skylights in the sidewalk. They'd be pretty, though!

If they did, some jerk would break through, enter the building, hurt himself and sue the city.
TurismoDreamin
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 08:26:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bacjz00

quote:

Please do tell...how is it that you've come to the automatic conclusion that these skylights are now "architectural treasures"??

It's for all the [ahem] business men in downtown who can look up womens skirts on their lunch break...sad sad..

LilMikey
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 11:11:55 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TurismoDreamin

quote:
Originally posted by bacjz00

quote:

It's for all the [ahem] business men in downtown who can look up womens skirts on their lunch break...sad sad..

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org