News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

City Hall Consolidation (purchase of One Technolog

Started by rbryant, June 12, 2007, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenosha

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by Walking Point

I happen on this thread while looking for information on the Cith Hall move.  Does everyone know that tha Mayor has agreed to pay the Staubach Company a "commision" of $1,100,000.00?

Are you the only other person besides myself who is troubled by this revelation?

I mean, you agree to pay a consultant a higher fee if the deal goes down than if it doesn't.  Wouldn't that give the consultant all the incentive needed to say this is a slam dunk deal and ignore any of the pitfalls?

**** no it doesn't bother me.

It bothers me that people like you think stuff is and should be free, or else it's not worth it and/or is an "inside" job.

buckeye

What?

The consultant will be PAID MORE if the DEAL HAPPENS.  Don't you suppose that will color his recommendations a little?  He will not walk away empty handed if the deal fails.

Conan71

It hardly should be free, but after reading the account of Himelfarb and the City Council, it was obvious there were some gaps in the consulting report.

Kenosha, are you aware that apparently Staubach was being paid a flat consultants fee for the study and if the city moved to the Borg Cube, Staubach Cos. would get more money?  That has a smell of something other than fishy.

Why would you attach a "bonus" to reach one conclusion or another?  Should be a flat fee and that's it, otherwise if you attach a financial reward to either it happening or not happening, I don't see how you can possibly wind up with an un-biased report.

Personally, I felt the city auditor's office should have done a preliminary study of the move with all the financial info they can access at their fingertips, then bring in an ouside consultant or auditor to verify the books have not been cooked one way or another and to make sure there has been no arm twisting from the admin arm of the city.
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan

swake

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

I hear you Shadows.  Bringing about real change in Tulsa doesn't stop with city government.

You may have read my posts in the past where I have suggested that Tulsa trade in her rich folks for new and improved models.

Or one or two super rich could circumvent the old money crowd and shake things up.  That happened in Fort Worth with their super rich Bass family trumping the old money crowd.

There is a lot of infighting with the rich and the old millionaires can't touch the new billionaires.  The old money crowd has the patina of respectability but not the dough.  But we live in a bottom line kind of culture where it's the dough that matters.

George Kaiser is wealthier than any of the Hunt brothers and I don't know that I would call the Hunts new money. You don't think that maybe Kaiser's $100 million donation to the river might just be trying to shake things up, now do you? Or the Warrens and their proposed $100 million donation to "The Channels"

You know what is really wrong with this town? It's not roads, or crime, or "the good ole boys". It's too many whiny idiots that just love to complain loudly about every issue, real or imagined, and don't want to pay for anything.

Hometown

I've been all around town Swake, and I'm not impressed.  Keep trying.

TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by swake

quote:

I hear you Shadows.  Bringing about real change in Tulsa doesn't stop with city government.

You may have read my posts in the past where I have suggested that Tulsa trade in her rich folks for new and improved models.

Or one or two super rich could circumvent the old money crowd and shake things up.  That happened in Fort Worth with their super rich Bass family trumping the old money crowd.

There is a lot of infighting with the rich and the old millionaires can't touch the new billionaires.  The old money crowd has the patina of respectability but not the dough.  But we live in a bottom line kind of culture where it's the dough that matters.

George Kaiser is wealthier than any of the Hunt brothers and I don't know that I would call the Hunts new money. You don't think that maybe Kaiser's $100 million donation to the river might just be trying to shake things up, now do you? Or the Warrens and their proposed $100 million donation to "The Channels"

You know what is really wrong with this town? It's not roads, or crime, or "the good ole boys". It's too many whiny idiots that just love to complain loudly about every issue, real or imagined, and don't want to pay for anything.

I think we are very lucky to have what money we do in this town and there are plenty of wonderfully generous people who do a lot for our city and communities. The names above are just a few.

Whenever I have daydreamed about winning the lottery. And I bet I am not the only one.  When I imagine what I would do for the city with that money, I always try to figure out how to make the most of it. Even with my wildest fantasy of winning the 200million dollar lottery. "And I dont even play the lottery lol" But its a fun dream[:P] I think of how I can make my dollars go as far as they can. That usually ends up meaning adding on to something the city or someone else is doing and making it better, or saying, here I will give this amount if you add this.  Even with 200 mill I couldnt do all the things I want to do. If the others didnt want to add to what I was willing to do. I wouldnt persue a half a dream or a half arsed project. I just wouldn't do it and would choose another of my goals to persue and hope things would turn out better there.
"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h

swake

quote:

I've been all around town Swake, and I'm not impressed.  Keep trying.

You also are under the impression that City Hall is great Architecture and that the Civic Center Plaza has wonderful possibilities as a great urban public space, so just maybe your judgment is suspect at times.

Hometown

I never used the word "great" to describe City Hall.  Words have meaning.  It's important to use the right word.

Local rich folks ....

I admit I have been favorably impressed by Kaiser based on what little information I have read about him.  I am particularly hopeful about his reference to buying up Sinclair refinery property.  If he is big enough to dislodge Sinclair, I will be sincerely thankful.

And when I went to Greenwood and Archer and saw the Helmerich's name at the top of a list of donors to a memorial there, I said, Helmerich has class.

Conan71

The refineries being bought up and moved are a pipe dream.  Not even God has enough money for the clean up.
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan

Hometown

Excerpt from Kaiser's comments about River plan:

Acquisition: "If you're going to do a prudent development of a new area," Kaiser said, 0 "you want to assure you have all of the land you may need for future purposes."

Land opportunities lie along the river a little on the east bank, but more on the west bank south of the 11th Street Bridge, he said.

Also, there may be opportunities with American Electric Power-Public Service Company of Oklahoma and Sinclair refinery, he said.

waterboy

quote:

Excerpt from Kaiser's comments about River plan:

Acquisition: "If you're going to do a prudent development of a new area," Kaiser said, 0 "you want to assure you have all of the land you may need for future purposes."

Land opportunities lie along the river a little on the east bank, but more on the west bank south of the 11th Street Bridge, he said.

Also, there may be opportunities with American Electric Power-Public Service Company of Oklahoma and Sinclair refinery, he said.

That's a pretty vague statement he made HT. Sinclair and AEP have property holdings over there that may not be necessary to their core production. Just like the soccer fields, they may find it judicious to dispose of them.

Double A

Back on topic, this city hall move will be a clusterf#*ck of epic proportions that Tulsa will not recover from for many, many years.
<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!

Oil Capital

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Back on topic, this city hall move will be a clusterf#*ck of epic proportions that Tulsa will not recover from for many, many years.

Could not agree more.

Renaissance

quote:
Originally posted by Oil Capital

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Could not agree more.

I disagree.  It will be good for city pride and morale.  If all goes well, this move will look both pragmatic and visionary.  Even in the worst case, the city still gets an upgrade and gets rid of a dilapidated embarassment.