A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:11:33 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QuikTrip Expansion at 21st and Harvard  (Read 66788 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 12:51:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by In2neon

Before everyone gets in an uproar about using the Scottsdale fixture be aware some QTs have fitted the Scottsdale (from LSI lighting) with the optional cutoff shield and this seems to direct light where it should be and make this fixture much more friendly...

If glare were measured like tornadoes, a piece of shielding inside that lens would reduce it from an F-5 to an F-3, but my house would still be trashed.

That would be better than nothing, but it's not effective enough to meet either the spirit or the letter of the law.

To get a PUD they must demonstrate that their lighting will meet code before construction begins.
To show compliance, the Kennebunkport Formula is used to calculate where the cutoff line is in relation to the property line.
To have an effective cutoff line, you need to be using either Full-Cutoff lighting, or architectural features that accomplish a full-cutoff effect.
The typical "Scottsdale" installation (even with an internal modification) doesnt meet the definition of (nor behave as) a Full-Cutoff light, and wont work for us.

Glare is an effective marketing tool, and retailers sometimes place that above safety when they fight to keep glarey, obnoxious lighting over eye-friendly lighting that costs them the same (or less) to install.  

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:52:03 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 02:46:54 pm »

I like QT stores and I wish we them in Ohio. QT offers free tire air and free air is hard to find in Ohio, just about every place charges 50-75 cents for air and the air pump things don't even work good.[xx(]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 09:35:35 pm »

There will be a hearing before the Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission on the Planned Unit Development (PUD) for this on Wednesday May 21 at 1:30pm.

Its PUD 756

If you cant make this afternoon meeting, write or call INCOG beforehand at 584-7526.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2008, 03:58:44 pm »

I wonder why they didn't just move across the street to the vacant Mays store.  Plenty of space, already has a big parking lot.  Why mess up the scale of the NW corner when there's already a big open space on the SW corner?

By the way, the QT on Brookside managed to "upgrade" without adding additional asphalt.

Too bad QT (and Tulsa) is so focused on cars and gas.  It would be great to see an "urban" QT like some of the new 7-Elevens popping up in big cities. (It could be small, walkable, and include the famous QT customer service!)  

Here's one in Boston.  Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:59:47 pm by PonderInc » Logged
inteller
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2008, 08:45:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

I wonder why they didn't just move across the street to the vacant Mays store.  Plenty of space, already has a big parking lot.  Why mess up the scale of the NW corner when there's already a big open space on the SW corner?

By the way, the QT on Brookside managed to "upgrade" without adding additional asphalt.

Too bad QT (and Tulsa) is so focused on cars and gas.  It would be great to see an "urban" QT like some of the new 7-Elevens popping up in big cities. (It could be small, walkable, and include the famous QT customer service!)  

Here's one in Boston.  Pretty cool.

because their business model is based on filling your car with ****, and then walking into the store and filling yourself with ****.  you cant have one without the other and you CERTAINLY cant have something like that 7-11 in boston.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2008, 09:06:13 pm »

Not saying that QT should adopt the Boston model at the 21st and Harvard site.  I just like to demonstrate walkable neighborhoods at every opportunity! [Smiley] And I think something walkable COULD go there...if QT would utilize the vacant Mays site across the street instead of turning the existing location into a car-centric development.  

Basically just dreaming...
buckeye
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 10:32:56 am »

Call me crazy, I like my gas stations to be car-centric.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 11:52:50 am »

quote:

Not saying that QT should adopt the Boston model at the 21st and Harvard site.  I just like to demonstrate walkable neighborhoods at every opportunity! [Smiley] And I think something walkable COULD go there...if QT would utilize the vacant Mays site across the street instead of turning the existing location into a car-centric development.  

Basically just dreaming...

QT told us they tried for that site, but the owner is not interested in selling.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2008, 10:44:29 am »

Here's something that should be in the hands of the neighborhood association, as well as QT:

http://data.nextrionet.com/site/idsa/specbull-1-1.pdf

...and I wouldnt mind INCOG looking it over, either.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 04:26:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

quote:

if QT would utilize the vacant Mays site across the street instead of turning the existing location into a car-centric development.

QT told us they tried for that site, but the owner is not interested in selling.

...but there's now a big realtor's "Available" sign out front on the SW corner of 21st & Harvard...

mrB
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 07:34:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

quote:

if QT would utilize the vacant Mays site across the street instead of turning the existing location into a car-centric development.

...but there's now a big realtor's "Available" sign out front on the SW corner of 21st & Harvard...

Upon closer look at the sign, its says something about "Retail Center" space available. Probably putting in a few shops is my guess?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 08:20:09 pm »

Sounds to me like the owners wants to put in a styrofoam and stucco strip mall and collect rent.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 08:42:26 pm »

Or when QT came calling, they envisioned deep pockets and jacked up the price?
joiei
City Father

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2008, 04:57:17 am »

Didn't I read on here that they had applied for a variance for the parking lot on the southwest corner next to the Empire Optical.  And Empire has done a reworking of the exterior of their building.  If they rebuild the exterior of that old drug store to match, that corner would look a lot better.  Plus they would have to throw the temporary plant sellers out of the parking lot.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2008, 01:11:08 pm »

Hmm, are those recessed lights in the canopy of the new QT in BA?

Sure looks that way.  And they still want to use the glare-bomb 'Scottsdale' lights in Tulsa?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org