A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 08:28:49 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good Bye Civic Center  (Read 27854 times)
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2007, 05:26:37 pm »

KTUL just announced that on the news at ten they will interview Councilors who will vote against the One Tech move, according to the reports they claim to have enough votes to kill this move.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Wrinkle
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2007, 07:09:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Isn't that what this whole mess is about? The current city hall isn't the latest fashion and therefore below the extravagant standards of our high maintenance Mayor. Image over substance seems to be the guiding principle in making this unnecessary move such a priority.

Wrong.  The current city hall is an embarassment.  No respectable, efficient business has a headquarters like that.  It is a direct reflection on our city.

I understand the position that the current deal wouldn't make sense for the city.  I disagree with that position but I respect it.  But don't try to put lipstick on a pig.  This deal makes sense in a lot of ways.  If you want to frame it in terms that are appropriate for talk radio, go ahead, and the adults will make the decisions for you while you froth at the mouth.

I disagree, there's much there to be admired, even if it has not been well maintained. And, I bet, there's other's who would agree with me.

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2007, 07:18:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

quote:

Isn't that what this whole mess is about? The current city hall isn't the latest fashion and therefore below the extravagant standards of our high maintenance Mayor. Image over substance seems to be the guiding principle in making this unnecessary move such a priority.

Wrong.  The current city hall is an embarassment.  No respectable, efficient business has a headquarters like that.  It is a direct reflection on our city.

I understand the position that the current deal wouldn't make sense for the city.  I disagree with that position but I respect it.  But don't try to put lipstick on a pig.  This deal makes sense in a lot of ways.  If you want to frame it in terms that are appropriate for talk radio, go ahead, and the adults will make the decisions for you while you froth at the mouth.

I disagree, there's much there to be admired, even if it has not been well maintained. And, I bet, there's other's who would agree with me.

LOL, thats something I never thought of.  Looks just like City Hall!

Well I guess it is easier to get a nice new building when you are spending other peoples money.

Rico
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2007, 07:24:49 pm »

If you have any question as to why Tulsa is a circular, downward spiraling City, just take a few moments to read this entire article.

"Venture Capital" is a non starter..........
Even when brought about by Muni. Bonds....

Do we really need the Arena...?

Do we really need the New Jazz Hall of Fame....?

We could have had quite a few roads fixed with the money V2025 cost..
of course they would have all been roads to nowhere....

But what the Hell...

Tulsa thinks that the "armpit" attempt at City Hall is a classic "Modern" example of architecture.

Government is just like any other business...

You take a few bucks=to make a few more bucks...

We have a "bean counter" on the Council that thinks that "Stay the course take the safe and tried and true path.... keep a few back for a rainy day..." is going to accomplish all that Tulsa deserves..

It will....!

just not in any of our lifetimes..

"trickle down economics"  fits this proposal.. The growth that would be stimulated would trickle down on all of Downtown and Tulsa.

If the proposal is killed by the Council.... They in effect are saying they know better than the EDC..
The very body of the Government in charge of finding good sound economic ideas for Tulsa..

"Most people do not know a gift when it hits them in the face."

Wrinkle
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2007, 08:02:45 pm »

I bet Mr. Himelfarb won't include this one on his resume when he's soon looking for work.

THIS EDC has lost its' collective mind, especially if they feel this is "right out of the conservative Republican playbook".

This deal is, as I first stated, an idealogical delusion.
TulsaSooner
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2007, 07:49:35 am »

From watching the report on Channel 8 last night, I will be shocked if the council passes this.  Those that were interviewed were leaning towards voting NO and it was stated that 7 YES votes were required to pass it.  I'd say that was never very likely in the first place because I figure Henderson/Turner would vote NO no matter what unless they were voting to move to north Tulsa.

That's a shame, because City Hall is an absolute dump.  Perhaps they can find the money to perform the MUCH-needed deferred maintenance at least.
Hometown
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2007, 12:17:17 pm »

I for one am disappointed that our mayor did not seek public input, has not been forthcoming about all the details of the deal, and has asked the city to bypass competitive bidding.  

My first impression of Taylor was that she governs by consensus and that she would routinely seek public input.  I thought we had a mayor that believed in transparency.  I hope this episode was an aberration.  

I am also disappointed that the Tulsa World didn’t print any criticism of the deal until today, the day of the council vote.  They need to add some weight to their claim of being balanced.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2007, 01:42:49 pm »

I'm not surprised.

She represented herself as "Tulsa's CEO".

CEO's frequently make decisions in an apparent vacuum and are used to being accountable only to a board of directors (and to a lesser extent investors) they have to sell an idea to.

CEO's can back-room deal all they like, and move about in a ghost-like fashion with corporate decisions and face minimal criticism.  Ostensibly everything she's done and is doing is within the law, however, it's not being done in a fashion many Tulsans like myself are comfortable with.

IMO- Mayor Taylor incorrectly views the council as her board of directors and the citizens as share-holders.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2007, 02:12:12 pm »

<center>
</center>
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2007, 02:18:42 pm »

quote:

You know AA, you like to toss around the “corruption” charge a lot, but didn’t you personally work on the campaign for Don McCorkell? Who was at the center of one of the foulest smelling deals in state government history?

The same “Don” who turned a $1 investment into millions in a sweetheart deal owning a power plant in Jenks just after he retired from the state legislature? And after backing legislation making that power plant possible?

Makes me wonder who is buttering your bread AA and what ax you have to grind.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2007, 02:24:56 pm »

That reminds me Swake.  I never could figure out how a "career" state legislator could afford a personal loan of $750K to his campaign.  That must explain it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2007, 02:26:31 pm »

Same reason US Senators have an 'average' return on their portfolios of nearly twice the average of professional brokers...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

That reminds me Swake.  I never could figure out how a "career" state legislator could afford a personal loan of $750K to his campaign.  That must explain it.

It exactly explains it, and is why I fully expect the current FBI investigation into Gene Stipe and friends will eventually mention good ole Don.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2007, 03:33:27 pm »

I've always been a volunteer on any campaign I've been involved in. I've never gotten anything in return for my involvement in any campaign, monetarily or otherwise. Yes, I supported McCorkell because A.) I am a Democrat and B.) He was the lesser of two evils between (Lafortune and Taylor). That and he pulled himself up by his own bootstraps instead of marrying into money.

<center>
</center>
TulsaSooner
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2007, 04:12:50 pm »

quote:

That and he pulled himself up by his own bootstraps instead of marrying into money.

If you're referring to Mayor Taylor, my recollection is that she did the exact same in going from poverty to a law degree.....long before she married anybody.

I could be wrong on that but I seem to recall having read that story somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org