A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 09:31:17 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone buying an IPhone today?  (Read 12512 times)
iplaw
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:48:00 am »

Anyone?

I personally am not going to purchase one of them since it's first generation technology.  It also only runs on Cingular's pathetic "EDGE" data service and not the new 3G.  Just bought a new TREO 750 that I'm happy with, so I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon, and with Apple's "new product every 14 days" mentality, I'm sure the IPhone 2.0 will be out by the end of the summer.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:22:26 am »

Are you kidding?  If a phone doesn't look like a candy bar or bigger and have the fewest features possible, I break out in hives...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:32:34 am »

ummm, no thanks... it is a toy...

my reasons which may not matter to most people-
no 3g
no one touch dialing
no voice dialing
no stereo bluetooth- no a2dp
no expandable storage
no mms
no im client
no gps support- even with external bluetooth
no user replacable battery
no stylus support
no flash support
no java
no sdk- means limited apps
no mp3 ringtones
no blackberry server support
limited exchange serever support- pull only
only plays itunes aac music files
only 2mp camera
only available locked to att with a contract extension

i'll keep my hacked/modded htc tytn, which can do all of the above and then some, for another couple of months and get a htc kaiser in august...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:01:49 am »

I wonder if the people waiting in line to get one will get into another line to send it back...

With it's slow EDGE internet connection it wont be capable of doing all the broadband magic people will be paying $600 upfront and $100 monthly for.

The phone it was allegedly copied from, the LG PRADA, isnt locked into AT&T and Apple, has expandable memory, stereo bluetooth and plays real MP3's, for example.

I think Id rather spend the money on a 3G air card or a 3G handset I can tether to a laptop.  

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:06:35 am »

I am getting one as my personal phone. I have a work phone (blackberry) as well which has a lot of the stuff brunoflipper mentions but I wouldn't give $50 for it. I have used a lot of 3g stuff and have not been impressed with the data speeds on 3g over edge, especially since AT&T updated the edge network yesterday.

The LG prada look is a coincidence and coincidentally it, and many other phones are currently banned from import into the US due to copyright violations.
iplaw
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:14:44 am »

quote:
This part really pisses me off.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:19:37 am »

I want to go the other direction.

My phone already does things I don't use...I swear it can land airplanes and bake potatoes.

I want to be like Sheriff Taylor on the old Andy Griffith show.

I want a phone I just pick up and say "Sarah, give me the diner".

Power is nothing till you use it.
iplaw
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 10:27:24 am »

quote:
bake potatoes
They already bake our brains, why not?
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:28:12 am »

I'm still on the fence. The cool factor cannot be denied - but it won't be so cool in December (Christmas gift, new gadget month) when the new wave of iphones inevitably will leave this one in the dust after I invested $500 and committed to 2 more years with Cingular, AT&T, Cingular, the NEW AT&T.

Who knows, my inner geek might take over and I'll find myself in line behind sgrizzle giggling like a fat schoolgirl on pizza day at the cafeteria.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 11:06:24 am »

no kidding... planned obsolescence drives me nuts...

it's just not all that and a bag a chips... i can't stand it when people call it revolutionary... it is asinine...

finally, run the numbers... you are looking at a $3000 commitment for that phone...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 11:12:10 am »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

no kidding... planned obsolescence drives me nuts...

it's just not all that and a bag a chips... i can't stand it when people call it revolutionary... it is asinine...

The iphone is the phones like the ipod was to mp3 players. The ipod had the worst battery life and the lowest capacity. However, they had the best marketing and smoothest interface. In that sense, they are both like Windows as well. Overpriced, low on features, and horribly made. In all 3 cases, everyone snagged them up. However since the iphone runs unix and the rest of the smartphones run windows or palmOs, I'm happy to use it. Not to mention they have said additional features will be added after the phone goes live. Youtube was not originally included but added already.

What is your computer running?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 11:18:53 am »

Negative....

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 12:06:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

I wonder if the people waiting in line to get one will get into another line to send it back...

With it's slow EDGE internet connection it wont be capable of doing all the broadband magic people will be paying $600 upfront and $100 monthly for.

The phone it was allegedly copied from, the LG PRADA, isnt locked into AT&T and Apple, has expandable memory, stereo bluetooth and plays real MP3's, for example.

I think Id rather spend the money on a 3G air card or a 3G handset I can tether to a laptop.  

The LG Prada costs $800, is not 3G, has no internal memory (only expansion card), lower battery life and has the same camera. Unlike your previous statements allude to, the iphone plan is the same as any other phone plan ($59 and up with unlimited internet) as opposed to the $90 to get a blackberry up and going on a similar plan. And yes, the iphone plays mp3's just like every other ipod. Only zune has been dumb enough to lock out other file types.

The prada phone may also be an AT&T exclusive.
Wilbur
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 03:39:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by iplaw

quote:
This part really pisses me off.

That's what they say about ipods too, but that is not correct.  Apple will replace you ipod battery for around $80.  I bought one off the internet for $9.99 (and the battery lasts twice as long), which came with tools to open the ipod and simple instructions for changing it out.

It's an Apple thing!
Wilbur
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 03:43:07 pm »

I'd actually like to have one, but will absolutely not deal with AT&T.  So, as long as that phone is only available through AT&T, I guess I'll have to do without.[V]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org