A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:23:18 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keystone Lake Flooding  (Read 7331 times)
baby83
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:30:09 am »

I know on the news they are saying that keystone can hold alot more water. Well, I went over the Keystone Dam yesterday and it's about 10-15 Foot from going over the top!  The whole Keystone State Park is flooded.  There's already houses in the Prue area that are flooded! Let's hope the dam doesn't break. If anyone knows any websites for early tulsa flood pictures.  I would appreciate it.
Porky
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 08:37:31 am »

I'll wander over there this morning and take some pics. If Prue is getting flooding, Cleveland should be as well.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 08:38:26 am »

Not even close to what happened in 86.....

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 08:50:36 am »

They say since the new flood controls installed in 1984 Tulsa will flood no more. This is putting Tulsa to the test big time. If Tulsa can stay dry now Tulsa's future flood worries may be over. The problemo is the ground is just over saturated. Water has no place to go. Thinking about that, it's no wonder that 1957 Plymouth vault flooded, saturated ground from all the flooding years of the past. We are lucky in the mid-west we have dry & sunny weather this summer season.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
rwarn17588
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 10:09:33 am »

Since I actually live in Tulsa, sauerkraut, I can vouch that the drainage system during the recent rains has worked like a champ.

You had the usual places where it flooded, such as underpasses. But that system installed in the 1980s has been showing its worth throughout.

And since we're forecast to have a few days with no rain, I think we're out of the woods.

BTW, "10 to 15 feet from the top" of any dam isn't all that worrying.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:12:59 am »

I rode over the Dam on Weds.  It's high, but I wouldn't worry about it.  Breadburner is correct, they have much more data gathering equipment these days to keep flood waters better managed.  They have many upstream and down stream stations to help keep water managed better.

I wouldn't worry about the strength of the dams, they will hold.

Tulsa Corps Website

I'm going up to Oologah tomorrow.  I've heard they won't let us out to sail.  The water is up 18 feet higher than it was this time last week.  I was up there Sunday when it was already up 5 feet.  They originally thought it would be higher than '86, but so far, so good.

My boss' brother was just in my office.  He lives near Edwater Acres and Twin Mounds off Oologah.  He said the water is up over their fenceline and in places the fence is completely under water.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 01:40:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Since I actually live in Tulsa, sauerkraut, I can vouch that the drainage system during the recent rains has worked like a champ.

You had the usual places where it flooded, such as underpasses. But that system installed in the 1980s has been showing its worth throughout.

And since we're forecast to have a few days with no rain, I think we're out of the woods.

Yes but the flood controls can't help much when the ground is all saturated with water and the water has no place to go but build up in pools and puddles and spread out. It no longer can drain away in the soil. If the rains keep up you'll get flooding.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
shadows
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 02:11:19 pm »

We have been assured that the dams will hold by the corps.  Rumors that there are cracks in them is false.   They are made of better concrete than our overpasses, bridges and roads are made of.

The drainage basin of the 61 square miles of the Mingo has not received past or present the rainfall that created previous floods.  One could check with the weather bureau and the storm water management water gages before we get too excited  

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
edward_apovi
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 02:20:50 pm »

yeah its monsoon season here lately, i much prefer this to dry seasons from years past tho, its less hot and everything still grows. you can go outside in the rain and swim and have fun still, and the rivers are nice.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 02:21:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Yes but the flood controls can't help much when the ground is all saturated with water and the water has no place to go but build up in pools and puddles and spread out. It no longer can drain away in the soil. If the rains keep up you'll get flooding.

The point is, we've already had our flooding, we are waaaaay past saturated.  This is as bad as it will get for this rainy season, unless the weather patterns change again and we get a ton more rain up-stream.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 05:16:33 pm »

I think someone on the news said that we have only received about a third of the rain in the Keystone watershed that we got during "the great flood".  Just heard them say that right now the Arkansas in Tulsa is flowing at about 60,000 cubic feet, it can handle 100,000 cubic feet, and to put this in perspective during "the great flood" it was flowing at 300,000 cubic feet.  Lake Keystone and the Arkansas in Tulsa is no where near flooding like it did then.

Course my backyard has turned into a marshy, mosquito infested swamp. [xx(]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Porky
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 05:40:07 pm »

I didn't see any flooding today and that included my trip to Prue. So everything is fine there baby83. [Smiley]

I agree with all of you that there isn't a problem in Tulsa with flooding coming our way, unless we get some real storms to the north.

Saying that, Keystone Lake and the Arkansas River are brim full. Here's some of the pics I took today:

Click Here------>  http://tinyurl.com/25acpk

....you can see in the pictures where the River Walk in Jenks might have a situation, if flooding would occur.
cks511
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 09:10:21 am »

I taught school and lived in Bixby in 1986....this is nothin.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 09:23:28 am »

Riverwalk crossing is on the outside of the Jenks Levee.  As I remember water went over the levee in '86 didn't it?

We went paddling in a canoe on the sod farms down in Bixby that year. [Wink]

waterboy
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 09:44:19 am »

We have to put our faith in the guys opening the gates ever so carefully. They all know what happened when they were careless in the past.

My memory is that we have exceeded 100,000 cubic feet per second since that time and have not had flooding. You could find a history on the corps release site. Spokesman for corps said they may have to go to 130,000 about a week ago but never did and its currently 58,000cfs. I am not too concerned. But I live atop a hill, I'm only worried if the dam breaks and I'm jogging on the path!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org