A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 10:16:55 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tears of Crimson and Cream  (Read 4466 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 03:32:21 pm »

The problem with looking at "all championships" is it weights Universities of Virginia's lacrosse and Women's Diving championships from last year the same as Ohio States Football and Mens Basketball championships.  There is much more competition for those and most people would agree they mean more.

From a historical perspective... the East schools had a monopoly on declaring a champion for the first 30 years or so.  Only since the 1950's has the nation really gotten to play for a championship.  The stats on that accord are a bit skewed.

Nonetheless, interesting points.  Clearly OU has a pedigree of football... but for all time is far from the race leader.  According to this website (which is the most comprehensive I have ever 2 find), they are #7 all time in football:
http://www.cfrc.com/Archives/Top_Programs_2006.htm

Notre Dame

Michigan

Ohio State

Alabama

Southern Cal

Texas

Oklahoma

Nebraska

Tennessee

Florida State

The web site explains in detail how the rankings are achieved.  The "champions shops" before the coaches and/or AP polls are counted as suspect.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 03:33:15 pm »

And how many of those national championships amongst all named schools would be forfeited if the NCAA had been enforcing the rules closer back then?  [}:)]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 07:29:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jackbristow

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd
Also note that OU is quick on track to have the most national championships in the NCAA.

Sorry, but I have to point out that this is wrong.  When talking about total NCAA national championships, OU has 18.  The NCAA doesn't name a football national champion, but OU has been recognized as having 7 of those.  So that is a hypothetical total of 25.

NCAA all time team national championships: UCLA 99, Stanford 92, USC 84, Oklahoma State 48, Arkansas 43, LSU 40, Texas 39.  And that's not even counting football, which would affect the total for USC, LSU and Texas for sure.  I'm not sure about the others.

Of course, you meant football championships, and yes OU's 7 is a lot, but here is what they are up against there.  Yale 15, Princeton 9, Alabama 8, Notre Dame 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12, depending on who you call legit.  Tennessee and USC also have 7.  

Quick on track for what again?

Here are my sources.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/championship_summaries/mens_champs_records_summaries.pdf

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/championship_summaries/womens_champs_records_summaries.pdf

Of course its all about football- duh! We are in OK after all. And I don't think we have to worry about Princeton, Yale or Alabama for that matter racking up too many more titles in the near future.

If USC finally gets called out for buying their way into the championships then yes, OU is definitely a contender for top honors.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org