A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 02:19:39 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City to Increase Mowing for PGA  (Read 9032 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 08:06:00 am »

Here's an idea... let the citizens enforce the cities laws against the city.  Right of way not mowed and the grass is knee high and going to seed?  Citizens go mow it and send a bill to the city.  Cops speeding past you, running red lights, and making wild lane changes?  Pull 'em over and do a sobriety test along the side of the road.

When the rules don't apply to government it is no longer a government of the people.
- - -

Aside from that tirade, they had best get a start on it.  It will take several week of actual mowing for them to look like mowed medians instead of cut hay.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dbacks fan
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 08:55:21 am »

I borrowed this link from another thread. I think this is an example of "Deffered Maintenance"(The snapped pole is not part of what I am refering to). I seem to remember years ago that the city had routine mowing and trimming of the right of ways and it was never put off because of excessive rains, and TPS also was regular about the upkeep of the landscape as well. The last time I was in Tulsa was '04 for a funeral, and the thing that amazed me the most was how overgrown and unkept things had become since my previous visit in '99. I was amazed as to the change in such a short period of time. It just makes me wonder what happened.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7038
Hometown
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 11:48:24 am »

Steve, It’s unbelievable to me that the city budgeted money to mow city property 6 times this year.  If a neighbor of mine did that I would be writing letters and trying to file a complaint.  What if you lived next to city property and had an open house planned to sell your home the day before they mowed, and the grass was up to your waist.

I say increase personal and corporate income taxes and make them more progressive.  Eliminate the sales tax on groceries.  Allow cities to capture some of those income taxes.  Tulsa may even want to enact her own city income tax.

There is a direct correlation between Oklahoma’s low income taxes and our poor quality of life.  

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »

City Councilor Cason Carter tried to add a couple of hundred thousand dollars into the city budget for extra mowing of parks and rights-of-way, but was unable to get the other councilors to support the idea.

We should contact our local elected officials and tell them more often mowing is a priority to us.

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 12:26:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

There is a direct correlation between Oklahoma’s low income taxes and our poor quality of life.  

New Hampshire has lower taxes than we do.  But somehow they have one of the highest quality of life indexes.  Mississippi has higher taxes than we do, yet they are consistently one of the lowest quality of life states.  

Alaska has the lowest taxes, Georgia the highest.  I would say your claim of a direct correlation is a bit of a stretch.

If only "RAISE TAXES" was really the solution to all of our problems, things would be so easy.  The problem is, when you raise taxes the public infrastructure may improve but personal property, local businesses, and real property suffers.  Shiny new streets running along side neglected houses with crappy cards...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaSooner
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 12:43:32 pm »

On the bright side, since they mow so infrequently, perhaps the city could realize a small profit by selling off the hay.  [Cheesy]
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 12:48:52 pm »

I still think that we could employ goats in our parks. Goats are also fun for all ages.

I am dyslexic...I once got invited to a toga party and brought a goat.

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 01:00:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

If only "RAISE TAXES" was really the solution to all of our problems, things would be so easy.

Raising taxes is the only solution when you're not willing to address waste.

Of course, my suggestion has been to take a look at the millions squandered on poorly-designed streetlighting -- the cost of which has doubled between 2003 and 2006!    

...but that's just one suggestion, from one area.  Ill bet there are more if we put our minds to it and realize it's not rocket science to keep our grass cut.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacks fan
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 02:11:23 pm »

I've been thinking about this for a little while today, and have come to a conclusion, (admittedly, it's rather tounge in cheek) it seems as the mayor is trying to spruce Tulsa up with the PGA coming to town (so she can try and pitch Tulsa as a destination for trade and tourism). Think about it, tearing down the Camelot with QT buying the land = "The City is working with local businesses to revitalize an area of town", moving city hall = "The City is saving the taxpayers money buy moving into a newer facility to better serve the community", annex the Fairgrounds = "The City is improving on the number of venues for potential users while not increasing the tax rate charged to the citizens, and looking to build new attractions where a rundown amusement park was" (not a jab at Bell's, just looking at the way the mayor might try and spin it), more grass cutting = "Aggressive maintenance of the cities landscaping".

Forgive me, it's just the cynic in me coming out. [}:)]
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 02:28:49 pm »

I change my vote to goats.

Think of it, shock collars to keep them on the medians.  Man that would rule.  Just goats standing around everywhere being all goat like.  It would be therapy too, when upset you could just go pat a goat (you'd have to find a nice one).

As a side note, goats are against city ordinance.  A buddy of mine wanted one to 'mow' his backyard.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org