A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 01:31:30 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tulsa State Fair  (Read 7000 times)
deepestblue82
« on: July 18, 2007, 04:29:43 pm »

I'm sure you're aware of the story of Bell's being forced to close. Well I decided to do something about it. I've started a petition to effectively boycott the Tulsa State Fair because of Bell's absence. I think the only thing that will get the attention of Tulsa County is to see how many people not just in Tulsa, but all over Northeast Oklahoma are distraught by this. Some of you may agree, some of you may not...that's your right. But I'd like you to consider that what this petition states is where $110,000 a year of your tax dollars are going. Not just that, but the man that Tulsa County hired that booted Bell's, may have been hired illegally.

You be the judge.

http://www.petitiononline.com/TSF2007
mdunn
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:39:24 pm »

what would be the goal of this petition??Bells is gone,and I doubt they would ever bring it back.Bells had its good years and now its time for the bells to move on.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 07:44:47 am »

Were our tax dollars used to help Bells move? I remember there was talk but I was unsure what ultimately happened.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 07:56:17 am »

The county paid to help move zingo.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 08:09:41 am »

Lets see if we can make the fair a failure too.  Perhaps, with just a little effort, we can turn Expo from an amazing urban success into a wasteland once we chase away Bells, the fair, get the Driller's to leave, and close Big Splash for safety.  

Moving Bells was not handle well imho.  But punishing the fair seems to be a relatively unrelated affair and will have no meaningful effect on the underlying grievance.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 09:20:27 am »

Eventually the fairgrounds will only be fairgrounds and no private enterprises leasing space.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 09:42:13 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

The county paid to help move cut up and destroy zingo.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 09:44:17 am »

Deepest blue,

What is your particular axe to grind?  I'm unhappy about Bell's being booted out as anyone.  Just curious if you are a concerned citizen, former employee, or something closer than that.

Interesting background check you did on Bjorklund on the web site that links from your personal info page.

I can assure you Randi Miller won't get a supporting voice from me next time around.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Sangria
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 10:43:28 am »

We will know one way or another after this year if it was a good idea or not to remove Bells.

Perhaps when Randi Miller's office is up for election people will remember this and get rid of her once and for all.

You want to stop what's happening then cut it off at the roots - Randi Miller.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 11:02:36 am »

A brief Google search will tell you all you want to know about our new poster, and more.

An interesting, and angry person, to be sure.  But not associated with Bell's in any way.

Tip for ya'.  As you strive to be taken more seriously you may have to tone down the information that is available about you on the internet.  Some details of ones personal life and views are best kept personal, especially in lieu of your political aspirations.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 01:06:49 pm »

Well,

Affiliations like this:

http://www.tulsaleather.com/members.htm

Will kill any public political aspirations in our conservative little 'burg, assuming this is the same person.

deepestblue82
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 03:29:30 pm »

My goal here is not to "restore Bell's to its former glory". My goal is to inform the taxpayers of Tulsa County of something that I think was not in our best interest, and to hold to account those who made those decisions. My personal affairs are my own, and are not the issue....nor are my political aspirations, or lack thereof. I am a citizen concerned with the fact that our tax dollars may not be necessarily used as effectively as they could be. Was the clock ticking on Bell's being on the fairgrounds? Yes. It was only a matter of time. They would have eventually been a victim of "progress". Do I think their demise was unnecessarily expedited? Absolutely. I don't think that the Tulsa County Public Facilities Authority cares about what the people of Tulsa County think about this. Moreover, I think the only way for them to grasp it is to hit them where it hurts. There's power in the pocketbook. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion, right?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:31:56 pm »

They look like they should be hanging out at the blue oyster club....

DM
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 03:38:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Eventually the fairgrounds will only be fairgrounds and no private enterprises leasing space.

Sounds good to me. [Cheesy]
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 03:40:41 pm »

Right on many counts Blue82.

I think Bells sat on the cash cow so long that it was just a matter of time before they got the boot.  At the same time, I do not think the county was particularly concerned about public opinion on the subject.  And yes, there is power in the pocket book - but punishing the fair for transgressions of the County will do nothing to undue the harm that was done.  Next election will do more to show them how they screwed up.

You're personal affairs and political aspirations are a non-issues in this matter, indeed.  But the only way I was able to discover that was by research.  For all we knew you were in the Bell family, an employee, or a political candidate that lost to Randy.

And yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  Welcome to Tulsa Now.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org