A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:23:05 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Police Using Cameras For Red Light Runners  (Read 12385 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: July 19, 2007, 09:40:49 am »

I saw with interest on the news last night that the TPD is using digital cameras for stop light enforcement.

It's a relatively low-tech approach, it involves a lawn chair, an officer, and a digital camera to shoot photos of the license plate.

Cool part is, one of our forum members was interviewed in the story.

Make sure to stop and offer your local officer a frosty cold beer while he/she is sitting in the hot sun. [}:)]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:05:04 am »

Is it a black & white lawn chair?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:19:04 am »

I don't remember.  I hope he shows up for lunch today so we can ask more about it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:20:10 am »

I missed it, what news station?

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 11:39:52 am »

Other than AAA condemning Red-Light cameras for widespread abuse, we have a state law that essentially says a vehicle cant be charged with a crime -- you have to cite a driver.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Other than AAA condemning Red-Light cameras for widespread abuse, we have a state law that essentially says a vehicle cant be charged with a crime -- you have to cite a driver.

Run through a toll gate and see what happens.......

Wilbur
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 06:24:19 pm »

Not to take pictures of the license plate, but to take the picture of the car driving through the red light - then staple the picture to the ticket issued by the officer in case the driver goes to court.

Actually, the camera idea isn't working that great.  Too many problems using the digital camera.  May need to look at video, but stapling that video to the ticket could be a problem.[Wink]
Rowdy
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 07:02:06 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

Not to take pictures of the license plate, but to take the picture of the car driving through the red light - then staple the picture to the ticket issued by the officer in case the driver goes to court.

Actually, the camera idea isn't working that great.  Too many problems using the digital camera.  May need to look at video, but stapling that video to the ticket could be a problem.[Wink]

Good luck getting a digital camera to take a picture of a moving object.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 08:25:27 pm »

quote:

Check to see if your camera has a "sports" mode for fast moving objects. A burst mode that takes several snaps at the push of a button which also helps.
Rowdy
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 12:50:40 am »

Is that so you can get Santa on the bicycle?
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 08:32:45 am »

Funny they can't also sit and look for suspected illegal aliens driving. They cause many more accidents than red lite runners and are by far the greatest threat to public safety on the roads.[B)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 08:42:37 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Yes, but they get around that. There's also places that have automatic red-lite cameras that take the picture and mail it in. No cop is involved. Yet when ya go to court you have a right to face your accuser and a right to cross-examin your accuser, but they have ways around that. It does not apply here, the picture is all the proof that's needed for a conviction. They have your face and your license plate & your nailed. It's been thru the courts and most have up held the automatic cameras as being legal, also the camera company gets a cut of the ticket money too. Some people have said the camers are set too fast and will nail ya when the light is really yellow. Arizona and parts of Iowa use the automatic red lite cameras, and many east coast states use them.[xx(]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 08:56:40 am »

Does anyone know if Tulsa still has two intersections on the nations top ten most dangerous intersections list?

This was a statistic compiled by State Farm, I believe. 51st & Memorial and 71st & Memorial were the two with the honors as I recall.

tulsacyclist
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 08:59:16 am »

quote:

Sounds like you might need to talk them in to upgrading to a DSLR instead of a little point and shoot. It'll do the trick for you guys, I'm sure.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 09:05:21 am »

They were number five and six most dangerous intersections in the country on the last list I saw.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org