A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 01:32:09 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Police Using Cameras For Red Light Runners  (Read 12384 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2007, 03:28:26 pm »

I think I know where this is going:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/handcuff.asp

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 07:30:36 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Other than AAA condemning Red-Light cameras for widespread abuse, we have a state law that essentially says a vehicle cant be charged with a crime -- you have to cite a driver.

Yes, but they get around that. There's also places that have automatic red-lite cameras that take the picture and mail it in. No cop is involved. Yet when ya go to court you have a right to face your accuser and a right to cross-examin your accuser, but they have ways around that. It does not apply here, the picture is all the proof that's needed for a conviction. They have your face and your license plate & your nailed. It's been thru the courts and most have up held the automatic cameras as being legal, also the camera company gets a cut of the ticket money too. Some people have said the camers are set too fast and will nail ya when the light is really yellow. Arizona and parts of Iowa use the automatic red lite cameras, and many east coast states use them.[xx(]

Have you ever been to traffic court in Tulsa? You are guilty when you walk in the door. A few years ago, I had to go in for multiple infractions (a very long story) and the judge was the most arrogant, self-absorbed, disrespectful person I had ever seen. The judge told people to shut up; Told people to plead guilty and just pay the fine; Explanations were cut off mid-sentence and people were told they were wasting the court's time.

It was merely a collections process. Cruel - at least in my mind - was that even those who fought back and were found not guilty, had to pay court fines, other fees, and lawyer fees. The message is: If a cop stops you for a traffic violation - just pay the fine - you're gonna lose anyway. It is part of the fund-raising monster the system has created.

And people wonder why so many people are afraid of the police and why they freak out when they're stopped.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 10:13:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by restored2x

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Other than AAA condemning Red-Light cameras for widespread abuse, we have a state law that essentially says a vehicle cant be charged with a crime -- you have to cite a driver.

Yes, but they get around that. There's also places that have automatic red-lite cameras that take the picture and mail it in. No cop is involved. Yet when ya go to court you have a right to face your accuser and a right to cross-examin your accuser, but they have ways around that. It does not apply here, the picture is all the proof that's needed for a conviction. They have your face and your license plate & your nailed. It's been thru the courts and most have up held the automatic cameras as being legal, also the camera company gets a cut of the ticket money too. Some people have said the camers are set too fast and will nail ya when the light is really yellow. Arizona and parts of Iowa use the automatic red lite cameras, and many east coast states use them.[xx(]

Have you ever been to traffic court in Tulsa? You are guilty when you walk in the door. A few years ago, I had to go in for multiple infractions (a very long story) and the judge was the most arrogant, self-absorbed, disrespectful person I had ever seen. The judge told people to shut up; Told people to plead guilty and just pay the fine; Explanations were cut off mid-sentence and people were told they were wasting the court's time.

It was merely a collections process. Cruel - at least in my mind - was that even those who fought back and were found not guilty, had to pay court fines, other fees, and lawyer fees. The message is: If a cop stops you for a traffic violation - just pay the fine - you're gonna lose anyway. It is part of the fund-raising monster the system has created.

And people wonder why so many people are afraid of the police and why they freak out when they're stopped.

Cheer-up. Traffic court is the same all over. Your guilty and the cops word is worth more than yours and your wintesses combined. That's true in all the places I have lived. From Texas to Michigan to Ohio & Oklahoma and Nebraska. Ohio used to have a crooked town that ran speed traps that was just closed down. here's the web site of it..www.newromesucks.com

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 06:05:39 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tulsascoot

quote:

Funny they can't also sit and look for suspected illegal aliens driving. They cause many more accidents than red lite runners and are by far the greatest threat to public safety on the roads.[B)]

That's a red herring, and not provable. I think we have a lot more problems with home grown white trash and gang banger wannabes than illegal immigrants. You should probably find some new FOX news talking points.

I am sick of the white trash morons who terrorize our streets. If these cameras help, then good. Maybe I can get all the white idiot people to slow down for the illegal Mexicans walking through my neighborhood.

Huh are you for real? you think it's a good idea to let illegals drive with no understanding of the language, road signs, or traffic laws & No drivers license, no insurance and when they cause a major accident it's tuff rocks to who-ever they hit. The victim is stuck with the bills. The illegal alien flees and a week latter is back driving. The only good idea would be to deport them as law enforcement comes across them. A cop stops a car with a busted tail light finds out the driver is illegal- Goodbye! He's gone! That's why car insurance is so high in Texas and California. Someone has to pay for all the accidents unlicensed & uninsured illegals do.

I don't approve of the illegals, but I have equal concerns about the legal residents with no insurance and licenses. I don't want to get hit by white trash either, unless it's my family, of course. Wait, no, I don't want them driving either.

I think the illegal thing is always blown out of proportion as a media scare tactic.

And we don't live in Texas.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2007, 06:42:50 pm »

If you think the illegal thing is blown out of proportion spend a morning and afternoon in traffic court....

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 09:41:15 am »

"They cause many more accidents than red lite runners and are by far the greatest threat to public safety on the roads."

I thought you were referring to TPD.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org