A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:18:50 pm
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa's exciting rail possibilities  (Read 91741 times)
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #240 on: May 01, 2012, 06:10:51 pm »

Jacobi asserted that no Tulsan would ever want to visit OKC.  It's that type of arrogance and "looking down our nose" towards OKC that has created the animosity between the cities.  Frankly, OKC has a nice number of attractions that would make for a great long weekend.  That's just the type of trip that would lead a Tulsan to utilize rail service.

In my more reasonable moments, I recognize that we need to compete as a region.  That said, I feel miserable any time I am there.  I always feel like im in the middle of nowhere.  I'd rather spend a weekend in Guthrie than OKC.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »

Why couldn't you build a massive retail center there? 

Weather induced remodeling may give pause to some.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2012, 08:19:32 pm »

In my more reasonable moments, I recognize that we need to compete as a region.  That said, I feel miserable any time I am there.  I always feel like im in the middle of nowhere.  I'd rather spend a weekend in Guthrie than OKC.

Really?
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #243 on: May 01, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »

Really?

Really.  I hate basketball, endless suburbs, and bricktown.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #244 on: May 01, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »

Really.  I hate basketball, endless suburbs, and bricktown.

I like basketball, not a fan of endless suburbs, and Bricktown is cheesy meh. However, if you think that's all OKC has to offer, you really need to look harder. It really is a nice little city.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2012, 11:04:34 pm »

I like basketball, not a fan of endless suburbs, and Bricktown is cheesy meh. However, if you think that's all OKC has to offer, you really need to look harder. It really is a nice little city.

There’s also some lovely landfills er man-made mountains within eye-sight of any four story building in downtown OKC.

As someone who lived part time in OKC for the last 2 1/2 years I envy them for the Oklahoma River, Nonnas, their version of China Town and the Paseo, Tucker’s Hamburgers, and not much else that we don’t have here.  There’s so much wasted space in their version of sprawl it’s sickening. Take a trip east out NW23rd St. or NW10th to Air Depot and you’ll get what I mean.  Their downtown and Bricktown simply don’t feel as comfortable and organic to me as Brady, Blue Dome and BOK districts.  

Not really sure why that is, considering Bricktown feels like a compound with a river on one end, expressways or viaducts on the other boundary lines, really no different than our downtown, but it feels less local for some odd reason.

We certainly don’t have to feel like we need to compete with OKC, but sure doesn’t hurt to make them envy us whenever we can. Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2012, 11:16:31 pm »

There’s also some lovely landfills er man-made mountains within eye-sight of any four story building in downtown OKC.

As someone who lived part time in OKC for the last 2 1/2 years I envy them for the Oklahoma River, Nonnas, their version of China Town and the Paseo, Tucker’s Hamburgers, and not much else that we don’t have here.  There’s so much wasted space in their version of sprawl it’s sickening. Take a trip east out NW23rd St. or NW10th to Air Depot and you’ll get what I mean.  Their downtown and Bricktown simply don’t feel as comfortable and organic to me as Brady, Blue Dome and BOK districts.  

Not really sure why that is, considering Bricktown feels like a compound with a river on one end, expressways or viaducts on the other boundary lines, really no different than our downtown, but it feels less local for some odd reason.

We certainly don’t have to feel like we need to compete with OKC, but sure doesn’t hurt to make them envy us whenever we can. Wink

Neat thing is that in the last couple of weeks since baseball season has started has given me a new reason to explore the different areas of downtown.  That area right around the ballpark just screams 'infill'.  It's a great area with super history and, at least on ball game nights, has an awesome vibe to it.  I'd even go so far as to rate it better than around the BOK simply because you have things around the ballpark within a shorter distance.  I think the railroad tracks create a great urban boundary and I would love to see more businesses go in along Elgin and Greenwood.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2012, 06:05:36 am »

Neat thing is that in the last couple of weeks since baseball season has started has given me a new reason to explore the different areas of downtown.  That area right around the ballpark just screams 'infill'.  It's a great area with super history and, at least on ball game nights, has an awesome vibe to it.  I'd even go so far as to rate it better than around the BOK simply because you have things around the ballpark within a shorter distance.  I think the railroad tracks create a great urban boundary and I would love to see more businesses go in along Elgin and Greenwood.

Well now that the greearch project seems like it's not going to happen, it's maybe a more mixed use friendly structure could be proposed instead.  I just really want the TDA lot on the northwest corner of archer and elgin to go away.

Also, I tried to start a thread about this but no one had any info.  On the city website it said that part of the long term plans involved turning greenwood and elgin into underpasses at the BNSF lines.  I wish I knew if this was actually going to happen and when.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2012, 08:39:36 am »

Dang. Tucker's. Best cheeseburger and fries I ever smeared on my face.

OKC is not Tulsa. We keep comparing them to us and find them lacking but they chose their path, we're choosing ours. Bricktown isn't our thing, but I assure you people visiting from Wetumka are impressed and are spending money there. I think many people think our plans are superior but they have different ingredients to work with. People should understand that belittling them is pointless. We want them to come here on a train to visit our superior charm and sophistication, spend their OKC money and take our Tulsa ideas back with them.

onward...through the fog
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »

On the city website it said that part of the long term plans involved turning greenwood and elgin into underpasses at the BNSF lines.

"Yay."  Angry

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2013, 03:29:47 pm »

Move to Sell Rail Line Could Hurt Effort to Return Passenger Trains to Eastern Oklahoma

http://kwgs.com/post/move-sell-rail-line-could-hurt-effort-return-passenger-trains-eastern-oklahoma

A move contemplated by the State Department of Transportation could kill efforts to return passenger rail to eastern Oklahoma. Rick Westcott, Chair of Tulsa’s Rail Advisory Committee, calls ODOT’s proposed sale of the Sooner Sub line from Sapulpa to Oklahoma City ‘almost the worst news possible’.

The state owns the 97 mile long line, but a freight hauling company is interested in buying it and Westcott believes that would greatly diminish chances of returning passenger rail service to Tulsa.

He urges Oklahomans interested in bringing back passenger trains to contact their representatives and ask them to oppose the rail line sale.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2013, 07:45:06 am »

Tell them to sell the line, and then cut the heartland flyer subsidy. Either that or keep the line and get the train to run where it's supposed to. All or nothing.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #252 on: March 06, 2013, 10:01:51 am »

I have notified my state congress person
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #253 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:25 am »

Move to Sell Rail Line Could Hurt Effort to Return Passenger Trains to Eastern Oklahoma

http://kwgs.com/post/move-sell-rail-line-could-hurt-effort-return-passenger-trains-eastern-oklahoma

ODOT/The state never had the slightest intention to extend rail service to Tulsa. This proves it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2013, 12:16:30 pm »

ODOT/The state never had the slightest intention to extend rail service to Tulsa. This proves it.

You may be right but it is unlikely that that right of way would have been turned into a high-speed passenger line.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org