A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 07:23:25 pm
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa's exciting rail possibilities  (Read 91793 times)
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2010, 10:09:08 am »

Well, we can't get a train to Tulsa but they can build the biggest train line of them all.

http://cleantechnica.com/2010/03/13/china-wants-to-connect-its-high-speed-rail-to-europe-largest-infrastructure-project-in-history/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cleantechnica%2Fcom+%28CleanTechnica%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2010, 04:12:10 pm »

Well, we can't get a train to Tulsa but they can build the biggest train line of them all.

It helps that they have trillions of dollars of our money to use for these things. If we still made things here other than risky and complex derivatives, we might have some of our money, too. Tongue

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:51 am »

No doubt, I had same discussion with some family members this morning. 

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2010, 10:29:18 am »

We've apparently lost our Amtrak bus service. You could get on Amtrak.com and book travel to/from Tulsa. I believe it was served with a Jefferson Lines bus that stopped at the downtown bus depot and took you to the train in Kansas City or the one in OKC.

The idea of a middle of the night bus ride was not exactly appealing, but some type of connection to our nation's train system is better than nothing.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2010, 10:40:18 am »

We've apparently lost our Amtrak bus service. You could get on Amtrak.com and book travel to/from Tulsa. I believe it was served with a Jefferson Lines bus that stopped at the downtown bus depot and took you to the train in Kansas City or the one in OKC.

The idea of a middle of the night bus ride was not exactly appealing, but some type of connection to our nation's train system is better than nothing.

Any idea on the number of people using the service?

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2010, 07:40:53 pm »

The I-244 bridge over the Arkansas River unveiled:

* ev.owa.jpg (159.6 KB - downloaded 460 times.)

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2010, 08:36:44 pm »

Is that after 20 years of service?  Where's the smoking skid marks?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2010, 08:45:56 pm »

I especially like the person standing to the right on the pedestrian bridge area looking confused.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2010, 08:53:48 pm »

I like the luxuriously deep Arkansas River.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2010, 09:02:28 pm »

I like the luxuriously deep Arkansas River.

And they were somewhat honest in representing the color of the water. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2010, 09:14:41 pm »

Soooo, in thirty some years when the road decking starts to crumble, it'll be dropping on trains and a pedestrian bridge.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2010, 09:21:58 pm »

patric, where did you find that?  The concept is cool but it needs more style.  Hopefully this is a work-in-progress.

dbacks fan
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2010, 09:45:02 pm »

patric, where did you find that?  The concept is cool but it needs more style.  Hopefully this is a work-in-progress.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meetings/a2010/100429/i-244presentation.pdf

This also goes into the possible high speed rail from Tulsa to OKC to D/FW as well as Little Rock to Texarkana to D/FW and then a continuation from D/FW to Austin to San Antonio.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:54:32 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:15 pm »

That'll teach us to only fund half a bridge.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #149 on: December 27, 2010, 11:26:58 am »

Saw this article in the TW about INCOG developing a transit plan for the metro and gathering public input over the next few months before presenting the plan in the summer.  There is a kick-off presentation and open house at the TCC Center for Creativity on Jan. 19 if anyone is interested.  The mayor of Charlotte will be there to discuss how light rail was built in his sprawly Southern city and how it has spurred new development.  I'm hoping this type of dialogue is the precursor to developing a streetcar and/or light rail plan so that when the next V2025 comes along it is heavily transit-based and lots of the planning has already been done.  OKC passed MAPS 3 which will build a streetcar line but little of the planning had been done so actual construction is still several years away.  

http://www.transitsystemplan.org/website/Home.aspx

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20101227_16_A1_JamesW213304

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org