A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 02:24:07 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridge Collapse in MN....  (Read 5179 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« on: August 02, 2007, 07:55:16 am »

I think it's only a matter of time before something similar happens here....But not on such a large scale.....I see the government has already pledged 5 mill in aid so far....Does anyone recall if Oklahoma recived any aid for the I-40 brige collapse.....

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:01:00 am »

I believe they did, especially since it was an interstate.

Where are the gas tax hike people? "Oklahomans for Safe Bridges and Roads"

Their website is down.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:00:23 am »

So far we just have parts of our bridges falling off.

Maybe this will draw attention to bad infrastructure care.
NellieBly
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 01:24:55 pm »

I wonder if something like this happened in Tulsa, if we would change our priorities to address our aging infrastructure rather than moving city hall or filling up the river.
Wilbur
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 07:42:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by NellieBly

I wonder if something like this happened in Tulsa, if we would change our priorities to address our aging infrastructure rather than moving city hall or filling up the river.

I was thinking the same thing, only on a larger scale.  Perhaps now, instead of filling the transportation bill with huge amounts of pork, perhaps our representatives will realize why we send them to Washington.
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 08:10:58 pm »

I couldn't help but notice yesterday that among the first people on the scene and the first boat was...an airboat. Great rescue vehicles.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:14:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

I think it's only a matter of time before something similar happens here....But not on such a large scale.....I see the government has already pledged 5 mill in aid so far....Does anyone recall if Oklahoma recived any aid for the I-40 brige collapse.....

I found this article

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/fhwa2202.htm

^ Bush Admin promised $3 million directly after the bridge collapse.

And then this one from when the bridge re-opened:

http://newsok.com/article/894007

^ It was completed in 2 months, way ahead of schedule.  Total cost of around $30 million when they took into account all of the repairs that had to be done on the alternate routes during the I-40 closure.

I haven't found a follow up since that article, but it said Congress had already approved $12 million in federal funds, and that Brad Carson was trying to get the rest, or most of the rest, paid for by the feds as well.  The State may have paid for some of it (Or all of it, and got reimbursed for it afterwards), since it mentions the State paying for the bonus paid to the construction company for completing it ahead of schedule.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 07:35:23 am »

The bridge had known problems since 1990:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1649458,00.html

Most interstate bridges are 50 years old at their core, the ones in the north have salt dumped on them on a regular basis, in Minneapolis that is for 6 months out of the year.

From a politicians perspective, you could either fix a 1 mile bridge (structurally) or 100 miles of surface streets with the same money.  The surface streets are more likely to get you re-elected.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:14:54 am »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20099119

Dry table but you can see all the deficient and obsolete bridges listed in Oklahoma.

We're not the worst but we're bad enough to be concerned.  Apparently Oklahoma has been consistently screwed by the federal government for many years.  I wish we could have a Ted Stevens.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 10:21:00 am »

Maybe its time (again) to see how well our state leadership is spending money collected for road and bridge repair on, well, road and bridge repair.  

Voters dont like being asked to pay twice for the same thing.  What's to guarantee another new tax to pay for bridges (that were supposed to already be funded) wont itself be raided to pay for some other pork or corporate welfare later on?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
NellieBly
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 11:11:37 am »

" I wish we could have a Ted Stevens."

You're kidding right?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 11:51:13 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

Maybe its time (again) to see how well our state leadership is spending money collected for road and bridge repair on, well, road and bridge repair.  

Voters dont like being asked to pay twice for the same thing.  What's to guarantee another new tax to pay for bridges (that were supposed to already be funded) wont itself be raided to pay for some other pork or corporate welfare later on?

The roads & bridges people suggested a locked fund, as well as raising diesel taxes to match gasoline, and were dismissed.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 12:05:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by NellieBly

" I wish we could have a Ted Stevens."

You're kidding right?

His ability to secure federal funding for the state.  Not the bribery.  At least we don't have the brib...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 12:06:05 pm »

Why was I not surprised that Tulsa had more than any other county on the list. We had 140 out of 422 for the state.
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 06:44:42 pm »

Pigeon poop....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org