A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 08:44:54 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elvis is Dead!  (Read 4726 times)
aoxamaxoa
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:10:24 am »

Where were you when you heard the news?

I was driving in the bay area when Tom Donahugh
came on the air at KSAN.

The world stood still 30 years ago today.

Anybody catch his list of drugs that his handlers were providing him. He was the king of druggies.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 09:48:36 am »

I was 6.  I was standing in my neighbor's front porch in NJ listening to the radio about it.  One of my friends had a Fonzie T-shirt on and the other was wearing Elvis.

The Elvis T-shirt's mother cried.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:48:50 am »

When I listen to people who think Elvis is still alive, I remind them that his body was found sitting on the toilet.

Nobody fakes the death sitting on a toilet.

Power is nothing till you use it.
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:28:39 am »

I was sitting out by the pool at Candlewood Club on a very hot Tulsa summer afternoon when the news came on the radio. I remember everyone freaking out, or so it seemed to a six year old who had no idea who Elvis was.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:42:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Nobody fakes the death sitting on a toilet.

Or so Elvis would have you believe!  Fools, ha!  The perfect crime.  [Cheesy]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 11:56:46 am »

I was at Camp Takatoka.  Another camper who had been up at the chow hall heard it on a radio and came running into the compound where my cabin was with the news.

Still remember hearing about John Lennon being gunned down as I was listening to the radio about to drift off to sleep.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:01:23 pm »

I was a rotten 11-year-old...my mom told me he had died and I just said "Good. I didn't like him anyway."

She was so mad at me! She told me to go to my room and pray about what I had just said.

It was terrible thing to say. I guess I still feel kinda bad about it.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 12:27:21 pm »

I was with my Grandparents... Two Aunts...Cousin...Sister....On a Trip To L.A. in the Family Truckster....We had stopped in Arizona at one of those Indian knick knack places....The younger of my two Aunts heard it on the radio.....She had actually seen him in concert here in Tulsa......

tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:19:02 pm »

I was in my crib a few weeks away from my first birthday.  I think I remember crying.  [}:)]

We lived near Memphis, so my mom kept a few of the local newspapers from that day, even though she wasn't really a fan.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:22:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I was at Camp Takatoka.  Another camper who had been up at the chow hall heard it on a radio and came running into the compound where my cabin was with the news.

Still remember hearing about John Lennon being gunned down as I was listening to the radio about to drift off to sleep.

Let me guess...Camp Takatoka was founded by some folks living chemically enhanced lives
Wilbur
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 03:04:20 pm »

You folks are fools!  

I saw Elvis at Louie's just last weekend!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 03:07:41 pm »

Remember those bracelets that said WWJD (What would Jesus do?)

My friend made up his own WWED (What would Elvis do?)

The answer was usually "sing a song" about it.

Power is nothing till you use it.
rwarn17588
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 03:14:01 pm »

My bracelet says WWJCD, as in "What Would Johnny Cash Do?"

I was only 10 when Elvis passed. I didn't know his significance at the time, other than he was famous. My respect for him has only grown, though. Read the two-volume Peter Guralnik set to get a feel for his underappreciated musical gifts and the tragedy behind his death (poor Southern boy didn't know any better with prescription drugs).
T Badd
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 06:48:07 pm »

I was 12 and heard it on the radio. We were packing for a trip to Memphis to see my Grandparents who lived in Whitehaven. By the time we made to Elvis Presley Blvd, the crowd outside of Graceland was beyond my little brain's comprehension.

For years afterwards, my family were always amazed at how many people made the "pilgrimage" to Graceland.
Rowdy
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 03:50:44 am »

How does the human body sit upright dead on a toilet?  That would be some serious rigor mortis or either he fell over to one side resting on the toilet paper.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org