A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 08:54:41 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Have an Update on the Light Rail Proposal?  (Read 7511 times)
Thinker
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:01:16 pm »

I haven't heard anything lately about the proposal for a light rail transit system in Tulsa.

I talked with someone in the Mayor's office in August 2006.  They informed me that they would be receiving RFP's by October (2006) and would have a decision sometime in the Spring of 2007.

I haven't heard anything since.  Does anyone have any news on this subject?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:59:09 pm »

There is still some push for it. The plan is light rail or a move towards large buses/carpooling with dedicated lanes. Tulsa Transit took a megabus for a test drive on the Tulsa-BA route earlier in the year.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:04:07 pm »

The megabus idea is stupid and will fail.

People do not want to ride a bus. Period.

This topic was actually brought up at lunch today and to a man, there were 9 of us at lunch, everyone said they would ride a train but not a bus.

These are people from BA, Sand Springs, Owasso, Bixby and Tulsa.

Fair or not there is a stigma attached to riding a bus.
Chicken Little
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 02:12:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

This topic was actually brought up at lunch today and to a man, there were 9 of us at lunch, everyone said they would ride a train but not a bus.

Bus ridership is way, way up...see for yourself.  Up 17% in one year in Tulsa.  Two years ago I might have agreed with you, but I think the stigma disappeared along with $1/gallon gas.  The real impediment now is having a system that is actually convenient to use.  Hour long waits and a system that shuts down at sundown are the only thing preventing bus use from exploding.
bokworker
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 02:37:49 pm »

CL, I agree with your assessment. In OKC there is a bus that runs from 33rd and Broadway extension in Edmond (there is a closed wal-mart there and commuters use the parking lot) that is a non-stop drive to downtown OKC. Demand has risen to the point there are now 2 busses... leave between 7 and 7:15 downtown by 7:45. Return trip leaves downtown at 5:30 getting to Edmond around 6 pm. I suspect the demand is even higher in the last couple of months.

Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 02:41:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bokworker

CL, I agree with your assessment. In OKC there is a bus that runs from 33rd and Broadway extension in Edmond (there is a closed wal-mart there and commuters use the parking lot) that is a non-stop drive to downtown OKC. Demand has risen to the point there are now 2 busses... leave between 7 and 7:15 downtown by 7:45. Return trip leaves downtown at 5:30 getting to Edmond around 6 pm. I suspect the demand is even higher in the last couple of months.

TTA used to have an Express Bus which ran to Broken Arrow to downtown.  That bus was packed.  

Don't know if it's still part of the route system.

With $2.74 gasoline and the $4-6 day rates for downtown parking, the bus sounds like a bargain.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 02:44:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Little

quote:

Bus ridership is way, way up...see for yourself.  Up 17% in one year in Tulsa.  Two years ago I might have agreed with you, but I think the stigma disappeared along with $1/gallon gas.  The real impediment now is having a system that is actually convenient to use.  Hour long waits and a system that shuts down at sundown are the only thing preventing bus use from exploding.

I agree/disagree with both of you. Ridership is up, but it doesn't mean the stigma is gone. The remaining stigma, plus the fact most bus routes seem drawn by the blind, will keep Tulsa Transit from making any major increases in the near future.
Thinker
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 02:56:42 pm »

Increased usage of Tulsa's buses is great, and I'm glad to hear it.  I don't believe our transit woes can be cured with buses however.  Rail systems are faster, reduce smog, and most importantly remove traffic from roadways.

Just think, if you're not driving to work eveyday that's less wear and tear on the roads (less tax dollars spent on roads), less wear and tear on your car (less money spent on gas and maintenance), fewer chances to be in traffic accidents (lower helthcare cost, lower insurance premiums).

I haven't seen any data yet that proves it's NOT a good idea.  That's what I'm looking for.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 03:00:43 pm »

I think think a future light rail system should definitely be part of the consideration for Tulsas "street repair and maintenance" plan that the mayor is working on.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 03:07:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Little

quote:

I agree/disagree with both of you. Ridership is up, but it doesn't mean the stigma is gone. The remaining stigma, plus the fact most bus routes seem drawn by the blind, will keep Tulsa Transit from making any major increases in the near future.

That's kinda how I see it.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
inteller
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 06:28:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I think think a future light rail system should definitely be part of the consideration for Tulsas "street repair and maintenance" plan that the mayor is working on.

no, since its the BA that the light rail would relieve traffic off of, the state should chip in.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 10:42:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

no, since its the BA that the light rail would relieve traffic off of, the state should chip in.

It should still be considered in an over all plan. Are we going to widen the BA or do rail? what areas do we designate as high density development nodes  along this line with future rail in mind? Are we going to have rail in other parts of the city 20-50 years out? How do we budget and plan for that as part of our transportation costs? How do we encourage high density nodes (71st area) with our street structure, widening or not widening certain streets? Rail on west side of river from the River District (which will basically become downtown Jenks) to Downtown Tulsa, or widen riverside drive?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
USRufnex
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 01:57:52 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

There is still some push for it. The plan is light rail or a move towards large buses/carpooling with dedicated lanes. Tulsa Transit took a megabus for a test drive on the Tulsa-BA route earlier in the year.

Was it specifically this megabus?

http://www.megabus.com/us/

Seems like somebody posted a suggestion about this once upon a time...... hmmm..... [:I]

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4497&SearchTerms=megabus

Chicken Little
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 02:06:36 am »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

Was it specifically this megabus?

Far right, I believe.[Wink]
USRufnex
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 02:35:25 am »

Actually, I think I recognize the one on the left as a proposed 20k capacity Major League Soccer stadium... that can magically transform itself into an 8k capacity minor league ballpark...

"transformers, more than meets the eye..."   [Cheesy]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org