News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

Randy Miller MIA

Started by Townsend, October 10, 2007, 11:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

"A third of those polled thought it was the Channels plan"

Just goes to show how uninformed the average voter was.

(Or how ignorant they were)

That means the people with the correct answers and plans did a poor job of informing the un-informed with their $1.3mm budget.  Instead they focused on little kids and ridiculous economic impact figures.
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan

sgrizzle

I ran into tons of people who thought this was the islands. The islands made a lot of noise and begat this plan, but only those really active in the community knew that much about the new plans and concepts. Had the Warrens spoken up, said the Channels is cancelled, and they were now backing this cheaper, more spread out plan, it might've swung enough to pass.

However, the Warrens are too concerned with how to make things better for Maple Ridge and believe the city of Tulsa is bounded by 21st and 41st.

patric

Miller:  "There's no Plan B," she said. "River development is over."
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectID=11&articleID=071011_1_A1_hBoth58247

My way or the highway...
No need for a contingency, or another option, such as:

'Last week, officials from the company visited Tulsa to once again say they were interested in building a mixed-use development along the west bank of the river between 11th and 21st streets.
Cox said that's still the goal, but the company will need some type of public funding mechanism or tax increment finance district to help provide infrastructure.'

Given her statements, there likely will be no public river development while Randi Miller's in charge.
"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum

Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by patric

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectID=11&articleID=071011_1_A1_hBoth58247

My way or the highway...

'Last week, officials from the company visited Tulsa to once again say they were interested in building a mixed-use development along the west bank of the river between 11th and 21st streets.
Cox said that's still the goal, but the company will need some type of public funding mechanism or tax increment finance district to help provide infrastructure.'

Given her statements, there likely will be no public river development while Randi Miller's in charge.

Yeah, or conspiracy comment of the day: While Bob Dick is still pulling Randi's strings.
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan

sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

My way or the highway...

Yeah, or conspiracy comment of the day: While Bob Dick is still pulling Randi's strings.

When is is her term up? aka "Miller Time"

breitee

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

quote:

My way or the highway...

When is is her term up? aka "Miller Time"

We need to get rid of Taylor and Miller and run that fossil Bob Dick out of town.

waterboy

Could you guys come to some sort of consensus? Do you want the county involved with river development or not? You complained loudly when she took the lead, which previous mayors only talked about, and now you complain because she drops the lead. Is a person only a good leader when you all agree with them?

Townsend

quote:

My way or the highway...

Who knew she was a Goebbels?  Get the morphine and cyanide.  Call the kids into the room.  "Kids?"

buckeye

Private investment will jump all over the river if it's really a money-maker.  Randi Miller is just whining that she didn't get her way - and as she says, if it's not done her way, the whole issue is dead.  We won't get another chance to develop the river in our lifetimes.

What a crock.  I trust that woman as far as I can spit a rat.  The whole campaign reeked of good-ol-boy backroom agreements with no true regard for the community, only for the moneymaking and powermaking potential for a select few individuals.

As I read the ballot, the county asked for my money to use any way they pleased.  Huh?

This reminds me of school levy votes in my hometown.  The school board presented a number of proposals over the years, finally making a huge to-do (VOTE YES RIVER style) on one campaign. It was voted down.  At the subsequent school board meeting, vituperative constituents stood up making impassioned little speechlettes about how the rest of us hated education.  Uh huh...

Townsend

quote:
Originally posted by buckeye  

I trust that woman as far as I can spit a rat.  

Was that a booth at the fair?

Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

Could you guys come to some sort of consensus? Do you want the county involved with river development or not? You complained loudly when she took the lead, which previous mayors only talked about, and now you complain because she drops the lead. Is a person only a good leader when you all agree with them?

No.

She's probably the least-trusted elected official in the area right now.

Looking at the polling numbers the county wanting to run the show is what killed it.  V-2025 bloated their egos.

YoungTulsan

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

She "took the lead" because it was a way to expand the county budget.  She "took the lead" because of the urgency of the Kaiser Foundation donation rushing the plan out before it had proper time to incubate.  I see your point as no one actually stepped up with a plan until now, it was only just talk until this action.  I think action was forthcoming, maybe not this year, but soon.  We actually have The Channels to thank for that, it got the buzz in the air about actually developing the river.  There also just seems to be momentum towards doing something on the west bank no matter what.

But I think looking at Vision 2025, and looking at this vote, only river communities want to support "river development".  So unless it is one piece of an overall "economic development" issue that has other portions to bribe benefit other parts of the county - Then we need to focus on more local initiatives, city issues.  V2025 was a push to get an arena built that ended up costing nearly a billion dollars to pay off other parts of the community into approving that arena.  I'd rather not see a low water dam and land acquisition issue get bloated into another billion dollar issue just to entice people into accomplishing your initial goal of those river improvements.

Conan71

And at that, only two of the river communities approved the tax- Tulsa & Jenks.

RecycleMichael

I think the Tulsa World math was wrong. I think Bixby passed it as well.
Power is nothing till you use it.

YoungTulsan

quote:

And at that, only two of the river communities approved the tax- Tulsa & Jenks.

I hope you are not considering Broken Arrow a "river community".  They are not built on or around the river, they just happen to have the river as an extreme southern border and general sewage treatment area.  I think Broken Arrow would sooner sprawl east and develop the Verdigris than the Arkansas.  http://www.brokenarrowok.gov/images/maps/city_limits_0604x.jpg

It did look like a couple of precincts in Sand Spring voted yes.  I think between Jenks, Sand Springs, and Tulsa, it would have passed?

Bixby is of course, a river community.  But they are already developing their area with NO plans for a low water dam, and nothing in the vote that benefits them.  I think the only way we could really include Bixby in a river plan would be to 1) Build the 121st and Yale bridge non-toll, and 2) continue Riverside into 121st street all the way to Bixby to feed more people their way around a congested Memorial Drive.

But with something in it for Sand Springs, Tulsa, Jenks, and Bixby, they could probably work together to reach an agreeable solution.