A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 09:22:58 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming to a Theater Near You...  (Read 5833 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: October 11, 2007, 12:01:37 pm »

An abortion film that will certainly stir the issue up again.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=071011133309.vhjahw6y&show_article=1

Someone please defend the practice after reading the article about one particular scene involving the doctor (you will know it when you read it)

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:32:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

Someone please defend the practice after reading the article about one particular scene involving the doctor (you will know it when you read it)

So you missed the "but Kaye also doesn't shy from showing pictures of a kneeling and bent-over naked woman who died after performing a botched abortion on herself with a wire coat hanger."

"There are conflicting values and taken in isolation each of these values is quite legitimate," he adds. "Choice is legitimate, preserving life is legitimate."

If the film arrives at any conclusion it is neatly summed up by Harvard University law professor Alan Dershowitz when he says: "Everybody is right when it comes to the issue of abortion."

The thing about these discussions is that everyone will see or hear what they want to see or  hear.  it seems, just like you did Guido.
rwarn17588
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:35:06 pm »

Guido, you're free to be an advocate for anything you want.

But ultimately, I want people making these decisions, not the government.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 01:14:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

+1

In fact, I strongly encourage people to advocate against abortion as a choice and especially to offer alternatives.  Support groups, easy adoption programs, funding for medical care, and so on.  So many people want to adopt children in this country.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 01:15:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

quote:

So you missed the "but Kaye also doesn't shy from showing pictures of a kneeling and bent-over naked woman who died after performing a botched abortion on herself with a wire coat hanger."

"There are conflicting values and taken in isolation each of these values is quite legitimate," he adds. "Choice is legitimate, preserving life is legitimate."

If the film arrives at any conclusion it is neatly summed up by Harvard University law professor Alan Dershowitz when he says: "Everybody is right when it comes to the issue of abortion."

The thing about these discussions is that everyone will see or hear what they want to see or  hear.  it seems, just like you did Guido.

So, are defending the practice in light of the portion of the article I referenced or are you trying to change the subject so you do not have to address the barbarity?

rwarn17588
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 01:28:02 pm »

It sounds like the film is sending mixed messages. So be it. It's no secret that it's a complicated issue.

As life -- and death -- usually are.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 02:12:14 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

So, are defending the practice in light of the portion of the article I referenced or are you trying to change the subject so you do not have to address the barbarity?

Barbarity?  They're not eating the baby.

Picture what the woman did to herself before she died.  That was a choice too.  A horrible choice that would be made by women all over the country after rape, incest, parental hate, societal neglect.

If there were options that would be supported by the conservatives, maybe there would be less need for abortion.  There is nothing supported.  Lots of ways to kill a criminal but no way to help with adoption, child support, condoms in schools.

You and I won't agree because there are too many reasons for me to support a woman's right to choose.

Don't start the "you're changing the subject" crap.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 02:51:36 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

At least from now on we know what your definition of "barbarity" is.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 02:53:24 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, and that you acknowledge that the unborn is a baby.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 03:01:54 pm »

Were you the Officer involved in the accident on 75 south a couple of weeks back....If you are I think another C.A.T scan is in order....

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 03:05:41 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, and that you acknowledge that the unborn is a baby.

You're one of those forum posters.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 06:01:12 pm »

quote:

RW, You and I have already had this fight if memory serves. The reason I opened this back up again is this movie and the expected visceral response it will garner from all sides. Still, you have to admit that a recognizable image of an unborn (call it what you want) torn apart apparently by its limbs during an abortion and placed on some table literally could change the face of the debate.

rwarn17588
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 06:13:47 pm »

Change the debate of what?

That abortion is icky?

People already know that.

That doesn't mean we're are ready to pull the choices away from people and give it to the government.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 06:46:05 pm »

quote:

That abortion is icky? People already know that.

First of all, "icky?" Describing the mutilation of the unborn (again, whatever you call it) as tantamount to perhaps a child getting in the mud or getting paint on their face speaks volumes to the merits of your position and perhaps how serious you consider the issue.

As for people knowing it's icky, prove that. Do you think the general population knows what really happens during an abortion and what the remains of the unborn really look like? I have always thought that is the real reason why choicers oppose efforts requiring sonograms be taken and perhaps shown to the expectant mother before an abortion or the giving of pre-abortion anesthesia to the unborn to help prevent pain. Choicers do not want people to know the facts.

[/quote]
That doesn't mean we're are ready to pull the choices away from people and give it to the government.
[/quote]

So if the people in Oklahoma chose to ban abortion by referendum, you would support the law? Although I would prefer that abortion never be legal, I support giving the states the right to make the practice legal or illegal. IMHO, the federal government has no business involving itself in this issue.

BTW, government (state or otherwise) persistently takes choices away from people. Choosing to kill my neighbor is unlawful. Choosing to manufacture methamphetamine in my home is unlawful. Choosing to engage in incest or to sexually assault a person is unlawful. Heck, in some states, choosing to smoke in public places is unlawful. So what makes this choice special?

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 07:56:11 pm »

quote:

quote:

That abortion is icky? People already know that.

First of all, "icky?" Describing the mutilation of the unborn (again, whatever you call it) as tantamount to perhaps a child getting in the mud or getting paint on their face speaks volumes to the merits of your position and perhaps how serious you consider the issue.

As for people knowing it's icky, prove that. Do you think the general population knows what really happens during an abortion and what the remains of the unborn really look like? I have always thought that is the real reason why choicers oppose efforts requiring sonograms be taken and perhaps shown to the expectant mother before an abortion or the giving of pre-abortion anesthesia to the unborn to help prevent pain. Choicers do not want people to know the facts.

[/quote]

So if the people in Oklahoma chose to ban abortion by referendum, you would support the law? Although I would prefer that abortion never be legal, I support giving the states the right to make the practice legal or illegal. IMHO, the federal government has no business involving itself in this issue.

BTW, government (state or otherwise) persistently takes choices away from people. Choosing to kill my neighbor is unlawful. Choosing to manufacture methamphetamine in my home is unlawful. Choosing to engage in incest or to sexually assault a person is unlawful. Heck, in some states, choosing to smoke in public places is unlawful. So what makes this choice special?
[/quote]

Ahhhhh...So your a female officer that works for the Sheriffs Department......

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org