A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 02:18:16 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quik Trip - manipulating gas  (Read 9985 times)
TeeDub
« on: October 15, 2007, 01:30:11 pm »

I noticed no one posted this yet.
http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=e5f4390f-284d-46eb-a8ac-3484313a993b&rss=701

Quiktrip uses a 10% ethanol/gas blend.   So, in short, you get worse gas mileage AND they pay less for gas.

Seems convenient for everyone.  Well, at least for some people.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 01:41:22 pm »

Or you could say:

QT is reducing our dependence on foreign oil while aiding the economics of the American Midwest and reducing pollution.  And maybe this help from QT is what is all of a sudden pushing Tulsa's gas below the regional (and OKC's) average?

Not to mention, the facts about ethanol helping or hurting an engine at a 10% ratio are hotly debated.  Some think it helps, some thinks it hurts, and most think it doesnt matter.  I'm from Iowa - 10% ethanol is standard.  I've never had a problem with cars (1972 super beetle, 1984 volvo, 1991 buick, 1992 Corsica, 1974 Super beetle, 1996 Taurus... nor my parents cars including old MGs).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:43:24 pm »

Scandalous! How dare they use alternative fuels! I want 100% foreign oil from Iran to burn in my gas guzzler.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:44:14 pm »

Do you know the difference in making corn ethanol and corn moonshine?

Nothing.

If the revenu-ers found my still, I would use the "fuel for my tractor" defense.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:45:30 pm »

Not to mention almost every station in Tulsa is doing this, not just QT. Plus QT is 10c lower or more than Phillips66, Shell, etc.

So we get basically the same gas mileage AND we pay less for gas.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:56:17 pm »

I have no objection to ethanol in my car, but it strikes me as something they should tell you they are doing.  Seems a bit deceptive to sell us a blend of gasoline and ethanol when they advertise gasoline...  Has QuikTrip looked at the Deceptive Trade Practices Act, I wonder?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 01:59:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Oil Capital

I have no objection to ethanol in my car, but it strikes me as something they should tell you they are doing.  Seems a bit deceptive to sell us a blend of gasoline and ethanol when they advertise gasoline...  Has QuikTrip looked at the Deceptive Trade Practices Act, I wonder?

It says in the article they are working on labelling.
TeeDub
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 02:03:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

It says in the article they are working on labelling.

Especially now that they got caught.
rwarn17588
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 02:06:43 pm »

This is ridiculous.

Gas/ethanol blends are ridiculously common, especially in the Midwest. Nobody there complains it the "corn likker" is put into gasoline. In fact, it's encouraged.
TulsaJayhawk
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 02:10:11 pm »

The 10% ethanol blend is a major mistake that is costing all of us a small fortune.  Not only does it cause harm to some engines and reduce MPG for most, and use more energy to produce than it saves, the use of the nation's corn corps to produce ethanol has caused prices to soar for countless food products as corn supplies dwindle for food and feed.

I will continue to patronize stations that offer an ethanol-free product, no matter the cost difference.
Who Cares
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 02:13:47 pm »

One thing that people don't seem to know including kjrh, is that Gas stations are using the 10% ethanol gas because it is now required by law in most states!!! They use to use 10% MTBE but that has been frowned upon because of it's harmful effects on the enviroment.

list of states banning MTBE: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicerpt/mtbeban/table1.html

A few quotes from Wikipedia:
MTBE, as used in motor gasoline, is a fossil fuel. In the United States, it was produced in very large quantities (more than 200,000 barrels per day in the United States in 1999) when it was being used widely as a fuel additive there. Because of widespread releases of MTBE-containing gasoline from Underground Storage Tanks all over the US, various jurisdictions banned the use of MTBE and production was reduced. MTBE contamination in drinking water aquifers is a serious concern in many states (most famous cases are Lake Tahoe and Santa Monica). By late 2006, most American gasoline retailers had ceased using MTBE as an oxygenate, and accordingly, US production had declined.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005, passed in the House on April 21, 2005, did not include a provision for shielding MTBE manufacturers from water contamination lawsuits. The lack of MTBE liability protection is resulting in a switchover to the use of ethanol as a gasoline additive, which is in limited supply in April 2006. Some traders and consumer advocates are blaming this for an increase in gasoline prices.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 02:15:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaJayhawk

The 10% ethanol blend is a major mistake that is costing all of us a small fortune.  Not only does it cause harm to some engines and reduce MPG for most, the use of the nation's corn corps to produce ethanol has caused prices to soar for countless food products as corn supplies dwindle for food and feed.

I will continue to patronize stations that offer an ethanol-free product, no matter the cost difference.

Good, then they'll quit filling use with corn oil fried, corn syrup diet. The majority of Corn grown in the U.S. is just making us fat. Now many it can help get our fat assets around.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 02:23:41 pm »

What? The manual for my Sequoia plainly says to not use ethanol blends in it. Frickin great...I use QT gas almost exclusively.

Pretty sure my wife's Acura's handbook says the same thing.

Looks like I need to find a station that doesn't use a blend.

NellieBly
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 02:26:28 pm »

The only local store that doesn't sell ethanol with their gas is Kum and Go
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 02:27:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

What? The manual for my Sequoia plainly says to not use ethanol blends in it. Frickin great...I use QT gas almost exclusively.

Pretty sure my wife's Acura's handbook says the same thing.

Looks like I need to find a station that doesn't use a blend.

I believe they are talking about E85, not E10.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org