A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 12:19:45 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asian festivals or anything?  (Read 7436 times)
kongsuni
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:39:01 am »

Hiya [Cheesy]

Just wondering if Tulsa (or Oklahoma or surrounding areas for that matter) has any Asian festival type things... Like.. If there's a place to celebrate Chosun or Chinese New Year, etc.. Do any of you know any places that celebrate those types of things?.. Or where I can get a list of upcoming events? Cheesy Oh, and where's the nearest chinatown?.. [:I]

Also, I heard there was some sort of Korean museum type thingy here... Anyone know about that? (I really need to get out more.... I've been living such a boring life the past year.. LOL)

Oh, the reason I'm asking all this is because my future boyfriend (I'm working on it *wiggles her eyebrows* lol) is going to be coming to Tulsa in December. I want to go eat at some of the restaurants and actually spend some time at places before I take him there.. I want him to have a lot of fun here & have the option to actually be in a semi-familiar place if he wants to be, while he's in Tulsa. Smiley Cheesy

I'm trying to plan some stuff that will be new & different & show off some of Tulsa's assets & interests & culture, while also having the option to take him to do/see something familiar or to some familiar place, so I can learn some stuff about him & his culture, too.. Smiley We both love museums, he's really into renaissance sword fighting & he is Korean (I know, odd combination, but he's really dreamy!). He's also my hero.. *heart flutters* LOL (I know, I am such a nerd.. [:I]) *sigh* I can cook Korean food, so I have the "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" thing covered... [^] [:I] I just don't get out that much & I need some help with finding places to go & things to do, so when my fella gets here, I can be like "heyyyy wanna go do/see ____?". [|)]

Man.. I haven't been this excited in years!! lol [Cheesy] I'm all happy now. LOL ~~ Thank you in advance for your help! [Cheesy]

~ Kongsuni
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:43:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by kongsuni
...so I have the "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" thing covered...

It is slightly lower for most men.

Power is nothing till you use it.
kongsuni
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:53:33 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

It is slightly lower for most men.

[Sad!][:O] LMAO [Cheesy]

That's so wrong! LOL
MichaelC
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 11:11:39 am »

The closest "Asian" district is in OKC.  It's very nice.  It's on Classen I think, it's easy to find.  In Tulsa, the higher concentration of Asian businesses is probably in East Tulsa.

There are a lot of good restaurants here, there's a good sized Vietnamese grocery store over at 21st and Garnett.  It's called "Nam Hai", there are other stores but I don't know anything about them and I doubt they're as big as Nam Hai.  

The Korean Museum, I think you're referring to the Richardson Asian Art Museum.  It's at 47th and Harvard.  It's relatively new, and I haven't been there.  So, can't tell you much there.  What little I've seen as far as news clips, it looks like they've got a lot of interesting stuff.

Events, unfortunately are going piecemeal.  Hanging around the Asian grocery stores, might give you a clue on events.  Also, TU or one of the other local universities might have something going on.  Just have to dig around.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:22:56 am »

The museum is a strange place, I've never actually ventured in:
http://www.richardsonart.org/

Otherwise there is some good Asian food to be had from Indian to Korean.

That said, I would imagine he would be disappointed if he came to Tulsa and did Asian things.  How would you like to go to McDonald's in Seoul?  Take him to the Philbrook, to the Tall Grass Prairie, to Ty's...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
kongsuni
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 12:04:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC

The closest "Asian" district is in OKC.  It's very nice.  It's on Classen I think, it's easy to find.  In Tulsa, the higher concentration of Asian businesses is probably in East Tulsa.

There are a lot of good restaurants here, there's a good sized Vietnamese grocery store over at 21st and Garnett.  It's called "Nam Hai", there are other stores but I don't know anything about them and I doubt they're as big as Nam Hai.  

The Korean Museum, I think you're referring to the Richardson Asian Art Museum.  It's at 47th and Harvard.  It's relatively new, and I haven't been there.  So, can't tell you much there.  What little I've seen as far as news clips, it looks like they've got a lot of interesting stuff.

Events, unfortunately are going piecemeal.  Hanging around the Asian grocery stores, might give you a clue on events.  Also, TU or one of the other local universities might have something going on.  Just have to dig around.

Cheesy Thank you! Smiley Now I know what that museum is called!! Cheesy woo hoo!

I actually do frequent the Asian markets around Tulsa, because I cook quite a bit of Korean food. Smiley There's a couple Korean stores here. One is at 12771 E 41st & the other one (that I know of) is at 3171 S 129th... I like those better (they're a lot cleaner).. Lately Nam Hai seems to have a lot of Mexican stuff. They do have better ox tails than what's in the supermarkets- they're bigger. But... I wouldn't buy meat from them.. [xx(]

There's also a Hmong market @ 10915 E 31st, Indonesian/Pakistani (I guess) market at 2615C S Memorial.. There's also a place called Nuyaka- I'm not sure what that is, exactly, but it *sounds* Japanese (I'll have to check it out)... :/ Then there's Asia Oriental Market @ 1132 S Garnett Rd & Tulsa Oriental Market @ 11320 E 21st.. (according to the phone book anyway lol)

I've only been to Nam Hai & the 2 Korean stores (one is next to the Korean Garden & a gym) & has a big sign in Hangul (Korean) & the other one is called "New Seoul Market".. Smiley New Seoul Market has a lot of frozen foods & a bigger refrigerated section. They also have really good deals on Korean/Asian cookware & dishes. Koreans use these air tight glass containers that I really like. Cheesy They sell them there for like 99 cents per container. They also sell my favorite kind of kimchi by the tub (I can make regular cabbage kimchi, but my favorite kind is made out of Korean chili peppers, covered in chili sauce, with green onions, garlic & shredded carrots) The Korean market on 41st sells Korean chopsticks & spoons for 10 cents a piece (Korean chopsticks are made out of metal) & they have a really big snack section & they have tons of different types of Miso & Korean condiments. Most places only carry either red or white miso, but they carry an entire refrigerator full of various shades of miso. It's really awesome. [Cheesy] They are also extremely friendly people- much moreso than the folks at Nam Hai.

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

That said, I would imagine he would be disappointed if he came to Tulsa and did Asian things.  How would you like to go to McDonald's in Seoul?  Take him to the Philbrook, to the Tall Grass Prairie, to Ty's...

LOL Good point, but, when I was in Seoul & Gwangju & Mokpo & stuff, I was actually pretty curious about the McDonald's & Subway & etc.. They have different flavors of icecream & different sandwiches & hamburgers than they do in the US. Like in Japan, they have a shrimp burger & a teriyaki burger at McDonald's, but I get your point!! lol You're absolutely right, but I just want to be prepared in case he wanted to go to some place like that.

What are the Tall Grass Prarie & Ty's?... [:I]

Thanks again!! Cheesy

Best Wishes,
~ Kongsuni
USRufnex
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:17:38 pm »

There's a "Hmong Cafe" that just opened on the northwest corner of 31st and Garnett.  Pretty simple menu... family owned.  I ate there a couple of weeks ago and took a menu home with me...

kongsuni
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 12:45:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

There's a "Hmong Cafe" that just opened on the northwest corner of 31st and Garnett.  Pretty simple menu... family owned.  I ate there a couple of weeks ago and took a menu home with me...

That sounds pretty nice!! I'll have to check it out. Smiley
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 02:44:30 pm »

The Buddhist Temple usually has a clue as to what's going on in the Asian community...They usually do a thing for Chinese New Year and stuff like that.  There are some older Vietnamese ladies there who will do gala-festival type catering for hire.  Good Luck!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 03:20:40 pm »

quote:

McDonalds serves lobster rolls when they are in season up in New England.  Still McDonald's quality, but they do have a way of trying to include local tastes.  I've still never figured out why they think Oklahomans like the "McRib" fabricated pork sandwich...blech!

Kongsumi- Ty's is a hamburger restaurant at 16th & Harvard.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 05:01:27 pm »

To find out about activities, I would look to the Tulsa Global Alliance (www.tulsaglobalalliance.org).  We have sister cities in Japan, China, and Taiwan--unfortunately, none in Korea.  You can find out about events on their website, eg, the Japanese Sister City group just had a Bon Odori party.  Many of the events, but not all, are designed with kids in mind.  There is an Asian festival in the summer, which I believe is held at the Martin Library.  Its a good one--great drumming, dragons, etc....

inteller
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 06:18:16 pm »

The Tulsa Chinese association usually has a big new year's event if they aren't busy fighting among themselves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 08:24:32 pm »

If you want to travel just a bit to Fort Smith, Ark, I am sure you will find some decent VietNamese or Laotian culture/food.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
perspicuity85
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 02:40:51 am »

Let me take the chance to recommend RiLe's at 91st  and Yale.  I believe there used to be a Midtown location as well, but I think there is only one location now.  RiLe's has outstanding Vietnamese food.  The entrees and homemade sauces are very unique to the Tulsa area.  The owner, who also cooks, usually comes out in the dining area to make sure guests are enjoying their meal.

Also try Mekong River Vietnamese Restaurant on the NW corner of 71st and Memorial.  They aren't as well known as RiLe but are almost as good.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 01:57:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

McDonalds serves lobster rolls when they are in season up in New England.  Still McDonald's quality, but they do have a way of trying to include local tastes.  I've still never figured out why they think Oklahomans like the "McRib" fabricated pork sandwich...blech!

Kongsumi- Ty's is a hamburger restaurant at 16th & Harvard.

I asked a Philipina girl what she thought the difference was between MCD in Manila and in the US. She said she knew the burgers are bigger (they aren't) and she was pretty sure the rice servings were much larger in the US.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org