A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 10:44:12 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart Car Demo?  (Read 4348 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: October 17, 2007, 01:46:33 pm »

Did anyone go to the Smart Car demonstration at the coffee shop on Cherry St. last Saturday?  

I had forgotten all about it until Sunday night.  Their small size intimidates me since I'm used to driving a full size truck.  Just curious what the impressions were if anyone drove one.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Aa5drvr
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 02:16:05 pm »

Just returned from Barcelona and Rome.  They are EVERYWHERE!  Its funny seeing them parked lengthwise in parallel parking spots.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 04:11:02 pm »

I was there on Saturday, but I was pressed for time and didn't go for a drive.  But I did take some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8188326@N02/

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Wingnut
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 04:13:53 am »

I think they're kind of funky looking, but I used to have a video of a test with one of them being driven straight into a wall at 70 mph. The drivers door wouldn't open very well, but the passenger side door opened as usual. It was considered a very survivable crash. Very impressive.
I'll look and see if I can find the video.
Wingnut
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:38:21 am »

I found it but I don't know how to post it.
Any ideas??
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 06:42:29 am »

post it to youtube or google video, then you can post a link here..
mspivey
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 07:25:54 am »

I've been following the Smart Car for months. I was down there Saturday morning and drove one. It is very comfortable. I'm 6 ft tall and I had to pull the seat forward to reach the pedals. I'm guessing I drove it 1/2 mile on slow streets. The 3 cylinder engine was pretty weak. I've always liked small cars and I was prepared to like it but I really was not impressed. It just seemed kinda klunky.
Wingnut
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 08:06:38 am »

There are several videos online already. Just google it. I don't know if any show it hitting the wall, though.
I can't work with videos at work so it would be later today before I can figure out how to post it somewhere.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 09:52:02 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mspivey

I've been following the Smart Car for months. I was down there Saturday morning and drove one. It is very comfortable. I'm 6 ft tall and I had to pull the seat forward to reach the pedals. I'm guessing I drove it 1/2 mile on slow streets. The 3 cylinder engine was pretty weak. I've always liked small cars and I was prepared to like it but I really was not impressed. It just seemed kinda klunky.

Yeah, but let's look at our personal perspective when you and I are used to this kind of accelleration [Tongue]:

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 09:57:04 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

Here is the video from the show Top Gear in England.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 11:25:01 am »

They sure could have chosen a better venue for this.....Blocking Cherry Street off from 9 to 5 was just plain silly.....

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 07:20:15 pm »

I drove one. The next car I buy will probably be a  SMART car, unless I can buy a Tango(0-60 in 4 seconds) for a comparable price. Although, I hear there might be an EV SMART car in production soon. Hmmm.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 09:39:09 pm »

What's the price on a basic smart car?

Crashing one into a brick wall is one thing, getting run over by a semi on 244 is quite another.

dbacks fan
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 12:03:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Crashing one into a brick wall is one thing, getting run over by a semi on 244 is quite another.

I think the base price is around 12,500 to 13,000 with the top of the line model at about 17,500.
tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 03:30:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

How often does any car get "run over" by a semi. I am tired of hearing these kind of statements as an excuse for Americans to drive big inefficient vehicles. Besides, with the Smart car tridiron cage, you'd probably come out better than if you were in a mid size sedan. They are surprisingly safe.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org