A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 06:31:35 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Main Tent Collapses at Octoberfest  (Read 6326 times)
Rowdy
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:06:47 pm »

After storm, over 20 people hurt and a Triage is being set up there.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:17:06 pm »

I was there.  Just got home.  Very scary.  The main tent and a secondary tent both collapsed.  I was in the secondary tent (the one north of the main tent) when it started collapsing.  The large poles were falling all over the place.  I ducked under a cart and covered my head like we were taught in school....I saw a few people with bloody faces, and I heard people screaming about a man with a broken leg...I hope no one was killed.  Those poles could definitely cause damage. [:O]

CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:18:31 pm »

38 - 40 injured.

CRZ
Citizen

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:25:12 pm »

My back porch(westport) overlooks the octoberfest festivities.  I could hear the wind picking up and went outside to see what was going on. What I saw was amazing, the main tent was flapping in the wind like a flag.  Everything seemed to be going sideways.

I feel for anyone that was inside.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:30:08 pm »

I go to this party every year, but couldn't because of a hospital visit. It is one of the best events in Tulsa.

Let's hope everybody is OK.

I am sure Oktoberfest volunteers responded quickly and helped people as fast as possible. I used to volunteer at this festival and it is one of the best prepared volunteer corps around.

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:44:21 pm »

(TULSA, Okla.) October 17 – Tonight’s storm causes a tent collapse at Oktoberfest, injuring about 40 people.

Police say 21 people were transported to the hospital, while others were treated at a triage center at Oktoberfest.

Oktoberfest is closed tonight, but will be open tomorrow.

Police believe the tent collapsed from water build-up.

Video:  http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=5822e804-09d4-4863-90c6-b434837f674c

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 11:05:24 pm »

I'm pretty sure it didn't collapse so much as it blew away pulling out the poles as it went.

tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:33:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by CoffeeBean

I'm pretty sure it didn't collapse so much as it blew away pulling out the poles as it went.

I agree.  From inside, it looked like the roof lifted up, then the poles started coming out of the ground and falling over..  If you look at the pictures on the Tulsa World website, you can see where the main tent was picked up and moved over, exposing about half of the picnic tables.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 07:10:57 am »

FYI this was all over CNN and the Today Show according to friends of mine.   Everyone but one person was released, they are in "critical" condition.  Most were injured by the poles coming down on them.

The Tulsa World has a good photo exposition on it a hera:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/2007/slideshows/octfest/index.html

However... the beer must flow.  Operations are set to open tonight at 5pm sans Das Bier Garten.  NO giant tent, that makes me sad. Study mother nature.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 08:50:43 am »

Two of my friends hid in one of the many port-a-johns during the hail.

Any port in a storm.

They said they were poo free after the storm.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 09:49:02 am »

I was driving down Riverside between 41st & 21st right at the time the storm front hit.  Damn glad I was in my truck and not a tent.

There wasn't near as much water to contend with as there was wind.  60 MPH wind will tip a mobile home over- and will collapse a tent.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 10:13:17 am »

KOTV is reporting it as a microburst, as opposed to the "water buildup" attributed to police spokesmen.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 10:49:41 am »

I'm smelling a lawsuit(s).  A woman  interviewed last night said people were turned away from shelter in another tent by festival officials or security.

"They were more concerned about protecting their beer than festival patrons."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 11:28:26 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I'm smelling a lawsuit(s).  A woman  interviewed last night said people were turned away from shelter in another tent by festival officials or security.

They were trying to get out of the hail......Hard to believe they were turned away....Very poor judgement on someones part.....A friend of mine was conked by a pole but is ok.....

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 11:32:47 am »

quote:

Hmmm...Sounds like an affirmative defense

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org