A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:23:00 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mid-Life Crisis !!!  (Read 5208 times)
Steve
« on: October 17, 2007, 07:34:08 pm »

I turn 50 years old, next Monday 10-22.  30 didn't bother me at all, and I didn't give 40 a second thought.  But 50?!?  This one gives me pause.  Perhaps I am now pondering my own mortality, and my place in today's youth oriented consumer culture.

I started receiving AARP solicitations about 2 years ago when I turned 48.  (They always go straight to the trash with me, since AARP is now just a big business receiving nearly half their income from product endorsements and sales commissions.)  I saw on the TV news this week where the U.S.'s first official "baby boomer," born 1-1-46 formally applied for social security benefits, the first of the avalanche to follow.  I think for boomers like me born in 1957, the age now to receive full social security benefits is 67, assuming the fund will be solvent in 2024.  And 2024 isn't really that far away.

Anyone else of similar age as me pondering these issues?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »

Man...you are old.

I won't be fifty till next summer.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Steve
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:33:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Man...you are old.

I won't be fifty till next summer.

We all get to that point sooner or later, God willing.  I am 5 years older than my dad was when he passed, and 1 year away from my mother's age when she passed.

I received a coupon post-card in the mail from Furr's Cafeteria at The Farm inviting me to a free dinner (including beverage!) for my birthday.  I intend to use this on Friday night.  We seniors sure love our early-bird specials and coupons!
mdunn
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:54:48 pm »

I understand your position,although Im 42,Ive dealt with a cancer scare,and 2 situations in military in combat.Ive came to this decision.
Death is one thing we all will meet one day,so you can either fear it,or accept it.
Age is a number,and you could live to 120 or die at 60.Nobody will ever know until it happens,so know this...life isnt long as we all want it to be...just make the best of what ya have!!
I have learned one thing in my 42 years,and this is my take on it.
If you become a giving person,and dont worry so much about your own life,and strive to make a mark,you will find enjoyment in that,at least I do.Kinda hard to express what I am saying,so here is an example.
I live across the street from a elementary school,I noticed a bicycle that was there for several days(a little girls bike).Sunday I watched 2 teenage thugs try to rip it from bike rack,I yelled at them and they ran away.
Yesterday I saw a lady there and little girl,she was crying,I told mom what happened,she said daughter was sick and she picked her up from school,left bike there.And was a single mom and couldnt afford to replace it.
I told little girl I was the magic bike man,and went to wal-mart and got her a brand new one.
Today I gave her the bike..Mom knew I got a new one,but Mom was single and hot,..so what I have now is a happy child and a date with hot mommy!
But that childs smile made my year!!!

The Moral of the story is this...Dont worry...be happy!

Steve
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:03:30 pm »

Your story was very touching and kind, mdunn.  Just one question though.

"THE VOICES!!!!THE VOICES!!!"

How do you deal with this?  I just take a few aspirin and lie down in a dark room until the voices pass.  (And I post this as humorous with no ill intention.)
mdunn
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:08:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Your story was very touching and kind, mdunn.  Just one question though.

"THE VOICES!!!!THE VOICES!!!"

How do you deal with this?  I just take a few aspirin and lie down in a dark room until the voices pass.  (And I post this as humorous with no ill intention.)

Good suggestion,tried that..doesnt work!!
I Find if I watch 2 minutes of a George Bush Speech they go away real quick!Cause they turn into MIGRAINES!
bokworker
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:07:44 am »

mdunn.. would your actions reguarding the bicycle be what Friendly Bear would call "conditional philanthropy"? I am not syaing you would not have done the same thing if the mom wasn't hot.... but I'm just sayin'....lol.

HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 09:48:35 pm »

At least the child got a bike and her mother has a date.  Two for the price of one?[Cheesy]

I agree that we should do good things, and that we should live our lives and enjoy what we have since none of us really know how long or short it can be.

Take my sister for instance.  She is in her 40s and her quality of life since cancer hasn't been exactly great.  But guess what?  Today (at the hospital) she had some European chocolate and that made her so happy!

I asked her how she is able to smile through pain, radiation and chemo...her answer?  I'll do anything to continue living.  

Steve, enjoy your birthday and really celebrate that you are fortunate enough to turn 50. That's an order[Smiley]

restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 02:46:20 pm »

Steve -

I just turned 50 this year, too. In April. I am absolutely the happiest I've ever been in my life. I tell people proudly how old I am. I actually made it to 50!

The coolest thing for me has been the perspective 50 has given me. I'm old enough to be able to remember when JFK was shot, the MLK marches, transistor radios and just three channels on B&W TV. I saw the birth of UHF and shopping malls, the interstate highway system, the pill, Star Trek, Star Wars (the movie and Reagan's). I saw disco come and go. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Janis, Jimi and VietNam. Nixon and his peace sign. Woodstock. Cocaine. Weed. Long hair and bell bottoms. Three-piece-suits and polyester. 45's, albums, 8-tracks, cassettes. Betamax. CDs. Mustangs and Camaros. Continentals and Cadillacs. 23-cent gasoline. Penny candy. 10-cent Cokes. 5-cent candy bars. Baseball cards. Pitching pennies. The invention of skateboards. The list could go on and on. What a privilege to have lived and survived all these years.

Now I've got satellite TV with hundreds of channels, iPods, Tivos, cool cars and an OK job. I know enough to help younger people, and help older folks. I listen to Audioslave, POD and Disturbed. 50 can enjoy the best of both worlds. I still have my mobility, but am OK with the fact that I'll never dunk another basketball.

Cheer up! 50 really is nifty.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 11:23:21 am »

I turned 50 a couple of years ago and find this is the best time of my life so far.  Yes, there is the mortality thing, but I have too much to experience to waste too much time wondering about death.  My goal is I have been given this time, so it is my responsibility to make the most of it.  As for retirement,  I will deal with that later.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
mdunn
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 03:59:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bokworker

mdunn.. would your actions reguarding the bicycle be what Friendly Bear would call "conditional philanthropy"? I am not syaing you would not have done the same thing if the mom wasn't hot.... but I'm just sayin'....lol.

nah!The look on the little girls face when she saw her old bike destroyed was enough to make me decide to help out,the look on her face when she got the new one made my week,and thats the point here.Giving can make ya feel better.
Steve
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 03:54:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by restored2x

Steve -

I just turned 50 this year, too. In April. I am absolutely the happiest I've ever been in my life. I tell people proudly how old I am. I actually made it to 50!

The coolest thing for me has been the perspective 50 has given me. I'm old enough to be able to remember when JFK was shot, the MLK marches, transistor radios and just three channels on B&W TV. I saw the birth of UHF and shopping malls, the interstate highway system, the pill, Star Trek, Star Wars (the movie and Reagan's). I saw disco come and go. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Janis, Jimi and VietNam. Nixon and his peace sign. Woodstock. Cocaine. Weed. Long hair and bell bottoms. Three-piece-suits and polyester. 45's, albums, 8-tracks, cassettes. Betamax. CDs. Mustangs and Camaros. Continentals and Cadillacs. 23-cent gasoline. Penny candy. 10-cent Cokes. 5-cent candy bars. Baseball cards. Pitching pennies. The invention of skateboards. The list could go on and on. What a privilege to have lived and survived all these years.

Great post restored2x.  I remember all those things you mentioned too, and I would add just one thing to your list, man walks on the moon, July 1969.  I think that was the greatest human achievement that I will ever see in my lifetime.

I spent my 50th birthday evening watching old VHS videos of the "Laugh-In" TV show!  You just had to be there....
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 07:23:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:

Steve -

Great post restored2x.  I remember all those things you mentioned too, and I would add just one thing to your list, man walks on the moon, July 1969.  I think that was the greatest human achievement that I will ever see in my lifetime.

I spent my 50th birthday evening watching old VHS videos of the "Laugh-In" TV show!  You just had to be there....

How could I have forgotten the moon landing?
or - records on the back of cereal boxes, secret code rings, 12-cent comic books, Get Smart, Bazooka comics, wood baseball bats, pay phones and actual phone booths, the first Hot Wheels, the Big Wheel, Sting Ray bikes with banana seats, baseball cards (or balloons) in bike spokes, Union No. 5 skates and skate-keys, AMT and MPC plastic model cars, fountain pens, Jack Purcell and PF Flyers tennis shoes, A&P coffee, S&H Green Stamps, shiny silver Christmas trees, Quadrophenia, Walter Conkrite, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Mary Ann of Gilligan's Island, paper sack lunches wrapped in wax paper, telephones so heavy you could use them as a weapon or to defend yourself...

Sounds like you had a great birthday! Laugh-In on VHS - You still own a VHS player? Is it top-loading? (Just kidding) I hope you were surrounded by people who love you and kidded you severely about your advanced age - half a century!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 08:01:44 am »

Steve,

Belated happy birthday...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Steve
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 09:14:54 am »

quote:

Sounds like you had a great birthday! Laugh-In on VHS - You still own a VHS player? Is it top-loading? (Just kidding) I hope you were surrounded by people who love you and kidded you severely about your advanced age - half a century!

Actually I was by myself on my birthday evening, but I did go out to dinner at the Green Onion with friends the Friday before.

That "Laugh-In" tape I have was a recording I made of 2 reunion shows that NBC aired back in 1993.  I loved that show as a kid, saw the dusty tape sitting on the shelf, and decided to take a trip down memory lane.  Most of the jokes were "over my head" back in 1968-1973, especially the double-entendre risque jokes.  I just thought they were silly then; now that I am older and can view it with a more adult perspective, I really "get it!"  The topical/political humor of the show also brings back lots of memories.

I still have a vinyl LP turntable too (with my 1982 Yamaha "rack" stereo system), and I actually use it quite often.  I love me my old LP's.  Just bought 2 new diamond needles for the turntable recently.  A great source for these is needledoctor.com

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes.  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org