A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 12:40:56 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75% of bombs not detected at airports  (Read 5682 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: October 18, 2007, 09:50:03 am »

In a test 75% of bombs were able to be smuggled onto airplanes at LAX.  60% in Chicago.  The failure rate before the Feds took it over and new draconian measures were put in place was 40%.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20071018/1a_lede18_dom.art.htm

Read that again, at LAX you have a 75% chance of success in smuggling guns, drugs or bombs onto an airplane.    60% in Chicago.   That's ~50% WORSE than when it was private, less intrusive, less expensive, less delayed, and generally less paid attention to.

All hail government effectiveness.  All hail the illusion of safety!  Now get in line and take your shoes off, and off course you can't bring that shampoo on board.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:28:18 am »

I feel much safer now.  The new security measures have made me fly less.
Hometown
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 11:39:08 am »

We have wasted so much money in the hysteria that has followed 9/11.  In the Bay Area they kept National Guard posted on the bridges for months and I would drive past and think, “now what are these guys going to be able see with thousands of cars constantly rushing past them.”  It was all for show, and unfortunately show cost a lot of money and didn’t accomplish much.  

Clearly the answer is technology and if the wasted money had been put into technology from the get go we would be much further along than we are.

I am still haunted by the image of that nice, middle-class woman being held down by fat airport guards in Phoenix and her screaming to anyone that would listen; “I am not a terrorist,” shortly before she was found dead in the holding cell.

We've all heard stories of grandmothers being strip searched at airports, et cetera.

Our Republican leadership has created a lot of fear and unfortunately not the kind of security we really need.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:36:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

Our Republican leadership has created a lot of fear and unfortunately not the kind of security we really need.

and our republican leadership has thus far done nothing to roll back the arbitrary "security" measures.  I don't think this is one party or the other (though I give it to you on fear mongering on the Repubs side on Terror, though I counter with Climate Change on the Dems side).  Basically, playing off of fear is the oldest political trick in the book.

It works best with the stupid, naive, and trusting.  Apparently most Americans are in there somewhere.   [xx(]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
NellieBly
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:53:02 pm »

I have always felt much safer flying knowing that the person sitting next to me doesn't have toothpaste in their carry-on.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:22:08 pm »

This is one example of where the terrorists DID win...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:52:28 pm »

On the bright side, 98% of cologne and deodorant was identified and successfully confiscated!

100% of Dr. Scholl's arch supports were inspected and found to be harmless.
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 02:03:21 pm »

The airports probably aren't even their number one target now. This is guerilla type stuff. You don't attack where they're looking for you.

I would be more worried about hospitals, festivals, stadiums, dams, refineries and harbors. Stuff that no one really expects but are easy as hell to do and cause tremendous emotional damage.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 02:37:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

The airports probably aren't even their number one target now. This is guerilla type stuff. You don't attack where they're looking for you.

I would be more worried about hospitals, festivals, stadiums, dams, refineries and harbors. Stuff that no one really expects but are easy as hell to do and cause tremendous emotional damage.

I don't know about other major dam projects, but when we drove over Hoover Dam last year, they had check points several miles before you cross the dam.

The only two large sporting events I've been to other than the Jenks/Union game since 9/11 have been a pair of NASCAR races.  All the gate security does there is make it a minor PITA to get in and causes longer lines.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Wilbur
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 07:26:41 pm »

The article says:

Screeners at Los Angeles International Airport missed about 75% of simulated explosives and bomb parts that Transportation Security Administration testers hid under their clothes or in carry-on bags at checkpoints, the TSA report shows.

Not sure where we got GUNS and DRUGS out of that little article.  The guns are easy to find.  Drugs are not (by x-ray) and explosive compounds are not.  Bomb parts can be difficult because most look like any other electronic parts people carry on planes.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 07:40:52 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

and our republican leadership has thus far done nothing to roll back the arbitrary "security" measures.  I don't think this is one party or the other (though I give it to you on fear mongering on the Repubs side on Terror, though I counter with Climate Change on the Dems side).  Basically, playing off of fear is the oldest political trick in the book.

It works best with the stupid, naive, and trusting.  Apparently most Americans are in there somewhere.   [xx(]

Wrong CF, it's the republicans and Bush's fault--always. The sooner you acknowledge this, the better off you will be.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
waterboy
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 08:32:36 pm »

Smaller dams are better targets. The Keystone would be ideal, with a large metro downstream. Many of those kinds of flood control dams across the midwest. Look at what the levees failing did to New Orleans. Those are examples of thoughtful targets that are poorly defended and fairly easy to bring down. You need look no farther than OU's exploding student to realize how much damage could have been done had he and a few buddies been sitting in the stands.

But a hospital would be ideal. Simply put on scrubs, walk into key areas like ICU, Pediatrics, cafeteria, lab, or the parking garages and detonate. Refineries? Put on a hard hat and a jumpsuit and walk right in. So many targets, so little defense.

Out of curiosity...did they ever arrest anyone for the expressway shootings here in Tulsa last summer? The ones where they camped behind bridge abutments and sniped at random drivers?
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 09:18:33 pm »

I wonder if the Hoover Dam bypass has been completed....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 09:28:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

I wonder if the Hoover Dam bypass has been completed....

They had columns up early last Nov. No decking at that time.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 09:29:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

Smaller dams are better targets. The Keystone would be ideal, with a large metro downstream. Many of those kinds of flood control dams across the midwest. Look at what the levees failing did to New Orleans. Those are examples of thoughtful targets that are poorly defended and fairly easy to bring down. You need look no farther than OU's exploding student to realize how much damage could have been done had he and a few buddies been sitting in the stands.

But a hospital would be ideal. Simply put on scrubs, walk into key areas like ICU, Pediatrics, cafeteria, lab, or the parking garages and detonate. Refineries? Put on a hard hat and a jumpsuit and walk right in. So many targets, so little defense.

Out of curiosity...did they ever arrest anyone for the expressway shootings here in Tulsa last summer? The ones where they camped behind bridge abutments and sniped at random drivers?

That's the spirit Waterboy, give 'em a few ideas!
[8D]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org