A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 08:58:29 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon v. AT&T v. Sprint v. US Cellular  (Read 12823 times)
Hometown
« on: October 18, 2007, 11:47:43 am »

I’m unhappy with the way AT&T Wireless turned over client records to the government.  I was impressed with the way Verizon did not.  Consequently, I’m considering a switch to Verizon.  [FYI, I was wrong about Verizon.  Other posters pointed out Verizon also turned over client records.]    

Does Verizon or other wireless providers have good service and good coverage in the Tulsa area?  I would greatly appreciate hearing from users of other cell phone services.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:07:24 pm »

What client records did AT&T turn over to the gov't?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:08:43 pm »

I switched from Cingular/AT&T a few months ago due to declining service.

I moved to Verizon and have had no issues. In fact I think the call quality is higher and I'm getting a stronger signal. Not to say everyone would get a better signal, but at least where I use my phone the most that is the case.

I have the LG VX8600 phone and love it.
Hometown
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:14:33 pm »

First thing that popped up on Google.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/26/us/26nsa.html

"Judge Rejects Customer Suit Over Records From AT&T
By ADAM LIPTAK
Published: July 26, 2006
A federal judge in Chicago dismissed a class-action lawsuit yesterday against AT&T that claimed it had illegally given information about its customers to the National Security Agency. The judge, Matthew F. Kennelly, based his ruling on the state secrets privilege, which can bar suits that would disclose information harmful to national security. ..."

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:16:52 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

I’m unhappy with the way AT&T Wireless turned over client records to the government.  I was impressed with the way Verizon did not.  Consequently, I’m considering a switch to Verizon.  

Does Verizon have good service and good coverage in the Tulsa area?  I would greatly appreciate hearing from you Verizon users.

Doesn't seem so black and white to me:

Verizon hands over records without warrants:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/15/AR2007101501857.html

Verizon shares customer data with business partners:
http://www.rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071012/FREE/71012004/1002/FREE
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:39:13 pm »

I could not be more happy with At&t wireless......

NellieBly
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:45:31 pm »

ATT and Verizon handed over customer records. I think Qwest was asked and refused.
USRufnex
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:59:09 pm »

http://www.rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071012/FREE/71012004/1002/FREE

Actually, that's a new story and is pretty BIG news for VZW.

You'll notice previously it was Verizon and NOT Verizon Wireless that engaged in those  practices...
The incident 1-2 years ago was a public relations black eye for AT&T and Verizon.  

Actually, VZW is very much a separate company from Verizon Communications.  This becomes problematic b/c VZW will be unable to offer the kind of "bundled" services AT&T seems to be pushing these days... Verizon's workers are largely unionized, VZW's are not...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:07:27 pm »

I don't use my cell phone to talk to terrorists, make threats against the gov't, order illicit drugs, or prostitutes so I really don't give a rip.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hometown
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 02:00:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by NellieBly

ATT and Verizon handed over customer records. I think Qwest was asked and refused.

I stand corrected.  Looks like Verizon did the same thing as AT&T.  Well, what is Qwest like?  Any Qwest users?  Is there a viable alternative to AT&T and Verizon?

I generally like to direct my dollars to companies I feel good about though it is becoming more difficult to find companies I feel good about.  

I've got several boycotts of retailers going.  Thank goodness for Target and Dillards.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 02:11:42 pm »

quote:

quote:

I stand corrected.  Looks like Verizon did the same thing as AT&T.  Well, what is Qwest like?  Any Qwest users?  Is there a viable alternative to AT&T and Verizon?

I generally like to direct my dollars to companies I feel good about though it is becoming more difficult to find companies I feel good about.  

I've got several boycotts of retailers going.  Thank goodness for Target and Dillards.

Qwest doesn't do anything in Oklahoma.

I'm on day 19 of living walmart free myself. That's the longest I've ever made it. I need a patch or some gum.
Rowdy
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 02:53:42 pm »

Verizon rocks.  Their coverage is very good and their network is growing monthly.
Noodlez
Activist

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 04:26:35 pm »

I use Sprint and a Motorola Q, overall i am happy. Price can't be beat with a SERO plan. My signal strength isn't always the best where I live but I never get dropped calls and they still sound fine.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 05:47:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

quote:

Qwest doesn't do anything in Oklahoma.

I'm on day 19 of living walmart free myself. That's the longest I've ever made it. I need a patch or some gum.

I'm on my second year of Wal-Mart free living.  Once you get used to it, you forget it even exists.  Living in midtown helps since there isn't one that close.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 07:39:16 pm »

I have a supercenter and a neighborhood market, both within a mile.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org