A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 12:24:00 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma at Disney World in Epcot  (Read 2410 times)
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« on: October 24, 2007, 11:38:28 pm »

took the kids to Disney World last week for fall break... in the middle of a furious "drink around the world"*  competition (getting past germany is always difficult but made more so by the "food and wine festival" throwing in several normally unrepresented countries), i was shaken from my beer goggled stupor by a large art deco image off in the distance... i thought at first it had to be boston avenue and it turns it was...

it was a whole "land" dedicated to Oklahoma... with many shots of tulsa (check out the gut wrenching use of a downtown photo from the 40s)... it only runs for 6 weeks and the disney folks said it was a special case... they've never allowed any single state to have this sort of display...

but anywho, it was pretty damn cool... went back a second sober day early in the am to get pics...

the international tourists were all over it...

they had trick ropers performing and some fancy dancers... and it was all staffed by reall ive oklahomans... the three sisters cafe had amazing seared buffalo with a wild onion roulade and zuchini/corn/bean chowder... the wild onion kitchen had indian chefs cooking authentic meals  with an overhead viewing mirror and live demonstration... there were three oklahoma wines... but sadly, no beer... however, there was porter peach cobbler and pecan pie... it really gave a great impression...

i was suprised i had not heard about it...
it was really very, very cool...
kinda made me misty...

our friends from iowa, were jealous and commented how "it really makes you guys look great"...

here is a link to a short video (the resolution sucks) but it gives the scale and layout...
youtube oklahoma at epcot...

here are a few pics...
a link below is for the entire set...

flickr oklahoma at epcot photoset

* "drink around the world" details

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Johnboy976
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:54:39 am »

Hmmmmmm... early 1970s Tulsa. Wow.... that picture makes Tulsa look like it has some puny buildings downtown.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:24 am »

Wow that's pretty neat!  I'm glad they showed us as more than just cowboys and indians.  I wonder if this was because of the centennial or what?  I'm surprised this hasn't been publicized locally.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:15:51 am »

Bruno, thanks for capturing all this on film.

Where should I mail you a care package of hang-over remedies to show my appreciation?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:27:48 am »

Bruno has kids?

Based on your picture, I am surprised that Disney officials let you in the park.

Please tell me you wore that hat.

Power is nothing till you use it.
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 09:06:31 am »

Thanks for sharing those pics. My friends from New York called me last week (in a drunken stupor) to tell me they were eating buffalo in "Oklahoma". I was very confused until they finally let on they were at Epcot. I was just there last month and missed it! I still don't get how a state in the US got a spot in the world showcase of countries around the world, but it's very cool nonetheless. Will they be doing a different state every 6 weeks? That would be great.

'Beers around the world' has always been my favorite Disney pastime.

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 09:13:38 am »

official "drink around the world" rules require
1) photographic proof of the beer of the country
2) with a hat from the country on your head
and, ideally,
3) your arm around a terrified college intern (disney employee) native of said country...

so the tinfoil hat kinda gets in the way...

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 09:14:50 am »

quote:
Originally posted by azbadpuppy

Thanks for sharing those pics. My friends from New York called me last week (in a drunken stupor) to tell me they were eating buffalo in "Oklahoma". I was very confused until they finally let on they were at Epcot. I was just there last month and missed it! I still don't get how a state in the US got a spot in the world showcase of countries around the world, but it's very cool nonetheless. Will they be doing a different state every 6 weeks? That would be great.

'Beers around the world' has always been my favorite Disney pastime.

the disney person we spoke with said it was a "one time deal" but who knows... disney changes their mind all the damn time...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org