A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 05:43:51 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medlock lectures me on "truthiness"  (Read 11608 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: October 25, 2007, 06:05:12 pm »

I guess I am honored that radio guy Chris Medlock reads my posts on TulsaNow. His words probably are not meant as a compliment, however.

http://www.chrismedlock.com/2007/10/hey-michael-patton-who-you-calling.html

The Tulsa Now Forum began as a fairly even handed, on-line opportunity for Tulsans to discuss local issues on politics, culture and development. However, of late, it has degenerated into a very one-sided rant that is very intolerant of those who might enter to express opposing viewpoints. Most troubling about this forum, and most such forums, is the ability of posters to hide behind on-line "handles," which allow them to make anonymous accusations (often personal attacks) against others without scrutiny into their own vocations, political affiliations or personal pasts. When anonymity is granted, falsehoods get ranted.

Currently the carping assemblage is waxing outraged on the decision of Rep. Rex Duncan to not accept a freebie Koran offered by a Islamic group formed by Governor Henry. In this polylogue of opinion and mock-shock, it seems fair game to mix facts in with outright falsehoods to make a good point. One poster who goes by the nom-de-keyboard of "RecyleMichael" is widely known to be local enviromentalist Michael Patton. Patton's style of rhetoric is to play the part of the diplomat, often feigning fair mindedness as his primary concern, but then slipping in some damning statement amid all of the diplopmatic speech.

In regard to Representative Duncan, Patton utilized just such a strategy, hoping when the lie hit, the slander would be just that more effective. Here's what Patton wrote in a forum string entitled "Oklahoma lawmaker shows predjudice against Islam:"

recyclemichaelTroublemaker
Posted - 10/24/2007 : 19:36:51
As disappointed as I am with these legislators refusing a gift from a
different faith, I am not taking the side of the Muslim group passing these out
either.

They had to know that certain legislators were going to make a big deal out
of refusing the books. I believe they did this in full knowledge that this would
identify the elected officials.It was a set up and 22 of the legislators fell
for it.

The elected officials should have quietly accepted the books, then given
them away or disposed of them in some other manner. Instead, the idiot Rex
Duncan called a press conference to sound like an uniformed bigot. [emphasis added by me]

There are no winners here and all of Oklahoma lost on this one.

Dear Mr. Patton, please get your facts straight. It seems it is you, who is uninformed. I just got off the phone with Rep. Rex Duncan and asked him a very simple question. Did you call a press conference or directly contact the press with regard to this story?

His answer?

"No, Mick Hinton [Tulsa World reporter] called me."

In fact, I learned through my conversation with Rep. Duncan, Mr. Hinton called him within just a few hours after Duncan had sent an e-mail to Ms. Marjaneh Seirafi-Pour stating his desire not to receive the Koran. Just a mere two or three hours, Mr. Patton!

Rep. Duncan had placed a phone call to Ms. Seirafi-Pour on Monday to "opt out" of the gift, as requested by Ms. Seirafi-Pour, and to also inquire as to whether or not tax payer dollars were used to purchase the Korans. She assured Duncan that they were bought with private funds, but asked Duncan if he would send her an e-mail stating he didn't want the Koran "for their records."

This he did. Hours later, he was called by Hinton for the story that ran in the next days' newspaper.

I agree, Mr. Patton. This WAS a set up by this Islamic group, which obviously has political intentions. However, you owe Rep. Duncan an apology [both in the forum and to the man directly] for your idiotic remarks.

posted by Chris Medlock

It was reported that Representative Duncan did not just send an-e-mail to the group offering the gift. He issued a statement by e-mail to fellow legislators, obviously including the press corps that follows the legislature.

You are right, Chris. He did not "call a press conference...he just issued a release. Don't try and act as though his actions were not intended for publicity.      

Your spotlight is much greater than mine. I just write opinions (mostly on silly topics like hamburgers, hats and what we remember as kids)on a local forum. You have a personal blog and a daily morning radio show talking politics.

I can't compete with you on either bluster nor volume and because you say I "feign fair-mindiness", it wouldn't matter to you if I made a sincere apology. I call myself an idiot often on the forum because of what I have done, said or written. I know idiocy when I see it.

For Representative Duncan to refuse the gift and issue a statement saying so has cost him politically and the unflattering news coverage proves it was an idiotic move.

That's the truth.

Power is nothing till you use it.
MichaelC
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 06:30:35 pm »

Dude, that's so awesome.

I'm jealous.

Medlock's such a stooge.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 07:35:37 pm »

Hey--I'm a straight-ticket Republican, nationally, but I have very low tolerance for this local partisan crap.  You get a bunch of low-level, no-talent hacks together and just wait and see the crap they pump out.  It's the same on both sides of the political divide.  Don't get me started.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 07:25:22 am »

I kinda see both sides of the story.  I think some in the Islam group probably wanted a response of some kind, but most probably were just trying to get some understanding.  The reaction seemed polite in nature but was also clearly intended to garner a reacted (reference sending an email out instead of saying "no thank you" and moving on).

Nonetheless, another feather in the hat for Oklahoma on the national radar as the "hate" state.  True or not we hate science (creationism at the zoo), minorities (immigration bill), and now Islam.  I don't like being in the news as an intolerant state this often.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
MichaelBates
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 07:56:47 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

You are right, Chris. He did not "call a press conference...he just issued a release. Don't try and act as though his actions were not intended for publicity.

Did Duncan issue the release (I thought it was an e-mail to his fellow legislators, not a press release) before or after he was contacted by the [em]Tulsa World[/em] reporter? If I knew the paper was going to write a story about me, I might issue a pre-emptive release to get my side of the story out before they could go to press. That wouldn't be a publicity-seeking action.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:35:30 am »

CF: "Nonetheless, another feather in the hat for Oklahoma on the national radar as the "hate" state. True or not we hate science (creationism at the zoo), minorities (immigration bill), and now Islam. I don't like being in the news as an intolerant state this often."

Come on CF, the "hate state"? "Creationism at the zoo" was basically one guy, not the entire state; I guess the "immigration bill" was a hate bill in the sense that Oklahomans "hate" crime and illegal immigration is a burdensome, expensive crime that Oklahoma taxpayers should not be required to finance or tolerate;  and Duncan and the other legislators's refusal to accept a book they believe is contrary to his faith is their choice.

Perhaps you do not see the irony that by accusing others of being intolerant you actually are practicing intolerance. Or, maybe I just not as enlightened as you on this point.  

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 09:04:42 am »

quote:

The Tulsa Now Forum began as a fairly even handed, on-line opportunity for Tulsans to discuss local issues on politics, culture and development. However, of late, it has degenerated into a very one-sided rant that is very intolerant of those who might enter to express opposing viewpoints. Most troubling about this forum, and most such forums, is the ability of posters to hide behind on-line "handles," which allow them to make anonymous accusations (often personal attacks) against others without scrutiny into their own vocations, political affiliations or personal pasts. When anonymity is granted, falsehoods get ranted.

Hello pot?  Talk about one-sided rants.  I wonder if he ever listens to tapes of his radio program?

What is Mudlock's problem with those who wish to remain anonymous?  The first amendment does not demand that someone must identify themselves by given name in a public forum.  

For RM, it's really not an outing, but I've seen Mudlock do that on his blog to at least one other member of TN who does not have their real name under their member info.  

The true identity of any member on this forum is totally irrelevant, since this is a discussion forum, and it's an exchange of ideas.

At least those of us on here are willing to have an opinion refuted, rather than maintaining a blog or hosting a radio show in which our opinion becomes a personal Gospel without any sort of rebuttal.

Sincerely,

Mr. Conan E. 70

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MichaelC
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 09:16:53 am »

I think they get ammo from here.   They aren't creative enough to come up with something on their own.  Particularly Meatlock.  

But be careful of Batesy, if he finds out who you are, there's a decent chance you'll be outted right here on the forum.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 09:26:58 am »

I was also confused about the part where Chris talked about anonymous posters on this forum and then talks about me.

Does anyone on this forum not know who I am?

My real name is in my profile and I constantly answer work related questions to other posters. I have never posted under a false name and respect posters who post under their real names as well.

I understand why some of you can't. You are elected officials, government employees, work for an employer who doesn't share your views, etc. I know who many of you are, by the way, but keep the information to myself. I have often been tempted to make up a new profile, just so I can say things I want to get off my chest. So far, I have avoided the temptation.

My writings on this forum, now up to almost 4,000 posts, are my own and reflect the mood I am in that moment. I have often posted things I shouldn't have, things that only I thought was funny, or posts challenging those attacking people I consider my friends.

I hope that Chris Medlock just wrote about me because he was defending his friend. I don't know the legislator he defends, but he must have some redeeming qualities in order to convince his constituents that he is worthy to serve them. I stand by my comments. It was idiotic to refuse a gift and send out a mass e-mail in order to pander to a anti-muslim feeling found in some of his constituents.  

Chris is no longer an elected official. He is now employed by an industry where success is measured by volume and outrageousness. Radio talk show hosts have to constantly find people and topics to discuss and it seems most of the noise is just like what I hear from him in the morning.

I guess I should have realized that my comments would become a target by others. This is the most popular public forum in town and probably the state. I should also probably be honored that my comments were worthy of the attention of him.

Now that I know that Chris Medlock reads what I write, I would like to take the opportunity to express my thoughts about him. I don't know him well, but he used to be involved in the children's education at my church, used to be a councilor in my city, I read his blog and now I sometimes listen to him on the radio.

I never liked him and he has always been rude to me. My opinion of him hasn't changed.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 09:41:20 am »

Yes, falsehoods get ranted just as easily when people are not anonymous. What I like about this forum is that those falsehoods are there in writing, people can catch you in a "falsehood" and everyone can see that. I have made plenty of mistakes on here and I hopefully learn from every one of them. And I probably have a lot more mistakes on the way, so stay tuned lol. Despite how the prevailing opinions may be on this forum I have seen opposing viewpoints change those opinions.

More than that, even if opinions on a matter are not changed, the facts and fallacies on different points within the matter often get laid out for everyone to see. We can all then take the balance of those points and use our own offices to frame our opinion. This thread is a perfect example of that.

Michael may have been wrong on the point of the "press release". But here it is for all to see and judge for themselves. Despite Medlocks opinion that this forum is one sided, this very thread is an example that it is not.

The "mix of facts in with outright falsehoods to make a good point" are to be found in any venue. Yet we on here often find those falsehoods and lay them out for all to see, and I for one welcome anyone who does so. None of us are going to be perfect every day on every point. Let the passioned debates and arguments continue.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 09:52:49 am »

On Medlock's blog, in the comments, our own USRufnex says that Tulsanow's famous Tulsa hater Oil Capital is none other then Chris Medlock.

To have had someone that hates this city that much to have served on the city council and to have the bully pulpit of that radio show is scary.

So much for slamming anonymity.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 09:54:39 am »

Off topic but this has been on my mind....Where can I drop off glass for recycling......

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 10:05:04 am »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

On Medlock's blog, in the comments, our own USRufnex says that Tulsanow's famous Tulsa hater Oil Capital is none other then Chris Medlock.

To have had someone that hates this city that much to have served on the city council and to have the bully pulpit of that radio show is scary.

How would Ruf be privy to that info?  Pretty damn funny if that's true.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 10:05:51 am »

11 locations open seven days a week

http://metrecycle.com/depots.htm

MichaelC
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 10:12:51 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by swake

How would Ruf be privy to that info?  Pretty damn funny if that's true.

Man, that's a very good rumor.  And I'd rather be spreading it than busting it, seeing as how Medlock is a no talent hack, more of a never-was than a has-been.

But, that's not exactly what USRufnex said.  That's not what i gathered anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org