A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 11:48:14 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern Hills Country Club why go there?  (Read 26315 times)
buzz words
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:18:04 pm »

Are any of you member's of the Southern Hills Country Club or friends of member's?

Why do you go there and what does it take to get in?
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 02:28:31 pm »

My ex wife's father was a member there...though he mostly went to drink.

Come to think of it I don't think the man even owned a set of clubs.
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 02:40:27 pm »

I don't go there.  I'm just wondering what your doing? I actually enjoy all the questions, but as Artist pointed out, ask with an open and clear motive.

We are members at Indian Springs CC.  It's much more affordable, when we looked at what we spent in golf each year, it was cost effective to join a club where we could play anytime.  There are also two courses there which is really nice.  

At Southern Hills, last I heard the join fee was 250k, couldn't tell you what the monthly deals where, it's an elite club, you have to be approved for membership (and money isn't the only qualification)  The facility is nice, and it's got history, if I'm not mistaken, it was started by the Warrens, at least they were one of the founding families.  Anyway, I guess if I had loads of money and fit with that crowd, it'd be a very nice club to join.

mr.jaynes
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 08:35:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by buzz words

Are any of you member's of the Southern Hills Country Club or friends of member's?

Back in 2005 (after returning briefly after the storm), I'd actually worked at an event there, and if you think that the membership is elitist, you should see the hired help!
dggriffi
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:04:39 pm »

its not 250K but you must be sponsored by current members and you have a minimum monthly on everything.   Thats probably why your relative was always there drinking.   Its a social club really.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:15:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dggriffi

its not 250K but you must be sponsored by current members and you have a minimum monthly on everything.   Thats probably why your relative was always there drinking.   Its a social club really.

So does the entire membership vote on you or what?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:00:32 am »

Yes. There is this lit runway in a darkened room and all the members sit around it and vote the potential new member "in" or "out" using these little handheld electronic devices. They give you a list of several tasks to perform. They judge you on your golf and tennis swings, how well you scold a servant "tone of voice, vibratto, stance, etc." how well you make a martini, of course your attire is keenly scrutinized, Your asked to order from a menue "which is usually in French" and then order the proper wine and judge it, your asked who you know to see if you can "drop names" but beware this is actually a trick question the correct answer is "I dont know other people, other people know me." etc. etc.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:18:55 am »

It is a really nice golf course, it is a prestigious club, and you can rub elbows with big dogs from time to time.

I played Southern Hills when I worked for a different firm.  On hole 10 (I think 10) I hit a rock retaining wall on my approach, bounced over the green, and trickled into the water.  During the PGA Championship - Tiger did the exact same thing!  I was like, "whoa!  Tiger... I feel your paid."  Of course, it was my 3rd or 4th shot and his 2nd...

Still the only time I've seen a PGA player do the exact same move I did.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
dggriffi
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:54:31 pm »

personally i think 4 is the funnest hole with the approach up the hill.  

Artist:  i was planning some snarky comedic statement about testing but you really covered it all.  Bravo!
mr.jaynes
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 07:57:02 pm »

The hired help there took their work as more of a hobby and less of a way to earn some money. See, I have a work ethic, and if I have to be among them, they'd better keep up.
intoxhog
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 08:28:40 pm »

ive been intrested in joining Tulsa CC. ive heard its a nice place.

any thoughts?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 10:24:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by intoxhog

ive been intrested in joining Tulsa CC. ive heard its a nice place.

any thoughts?

Not bad, I know people who work there.  Grounds are fairly well-kept, course is nice.  That's also an interesting view of Tulsa you can't get anywhere else.  Doesn't have the prestige of So Hills, but there must be some reason it's still around.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Wilbur
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 06:54:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by buzz words

Connections!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org