A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 04:54:47 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get out of the left lane.  (Read 15050 times)
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 02:44:04 pm »

Everyone has a nice opinion on this subject and they are all always right. My thoughts are:

Dear left lane speed limit nazi: Congratulations on going exactly the speed limit, I'm pretty sure even the holiest of nuns go 5mph over... but alas, you have bested them and guaranteed your spot in anal retentive self-righteous heaven. Your award will be mailed to you and you should receive it in 6-8 weeks. However, if you have open road in the form of 957,416 car lengths in front of you and the average flow of traffic is faster than the speed limit, you have about 5 seconds before I am going around you while your motor accumulates carbon buildup from lack of use and your tired brake rotors continue to spin at a slow speed while they await the next hill in which your car will reach 65.1mph and you will do a panicstop, so can you please get out of the way? It's like I'm driving in slow motion and I am about to fall asleep at the wheel.

Sincerely, a more attentive driver.

PS: for those of you that do actually move over.. you brighten my day and renew my faith in society.

grahambino
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 02:47:32 pm »

I want the car from the 80s video game Spy Hunter.

Wrinkle
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 02:59:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

Personally, I've had more near misses from people passing on the right. Even though I go the speed limit, they don't wait for you to move over and jump into your cover, causing a near catastrophy, probably a real one in many cases.

Not only are they speeding, they create a real hazard much more serious than a semi-pokey left laner.

you must be that [expletive] that I am always having to pass in the center or right lane.  Thanks Ace.  Here is some advice, blinker, mirror check, change lanes.  All can be accomplished in about 3 seconds if you aren't retarded.

Like the other poster said, I hope these kinds of tickets flow like water.  If you cant maintain traffic flow at any speed, get the fock out of the way.

Oh and you people driving POS cars who can't handle the Sheridan curve on the BA at 65 need to get the fock over too.

Passing on the right is a far more dangerous practice, and illegal. So, if they're going to ticket at 64mph in the left lane, then they'd best be passing out as many for passing on the right (most often without signaling, improper clearance and speeding).

And, any of you who think you're saving 5 minutes an hour by doing so are as crazy as you drive.

See you in the papers.
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 03:07:31 pm »

quote:
Passing on the right is a far more dangerous practice, and illegal. So, if they're going to ticket at 64mph in the left lane, then they'd best be passing out as many for passing on the right (most often without signaling, improper clearance and speeding).

And, any of you who think you're saving 5 minutes an hour by doing so are as crazy as you drive.

See you in the papers.

I'm am not sure, but I think passing on the right is legal on highways with >3 or 4 lanes in each direction, can't remember which Smiley If I am passing you on the right, I'm leaving plenty of clearance, signaling, and making sure that the speed differential is not too great. I don't like to do it but sometimes it is necessary to avoid being completely blocked in by mopes.

grahambino
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 03:27:50 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Personally, I've had more near misses from people passing on the right. Even though I go the speed limit, they don't wait for you to move over and jump into your cover, causing a near catastrophy, probably a real one in many cases.

Not only are they speeding, they create a real hazard much more serious than a semi-pokey left laner.

you must be that [expletive] that I am always having to pass in the center or right lane.  Thanks Ace.  Here is some advice, blinker, mirror check, change lanes.  All can be accomplished in about 3 seconds if you aren't retarded.

Like the other poster said, I hope these kinds of tickets flow like water.  If you cant maintain traffic flow at any speed, get the fock out of the way.

Oh and you people driving POS cars who can't handle the Sheridan curve on the BA at 65 need to get the fock over too.

See you in the papers.

if youre driving the speed limit in the left hand lane of a busy freeway and forcing others to pass you on the right...you're the idiot. Period.

you keep bringing up the fact that is more dangerous to pass on the right.  

HEY GENIUS...has it occurred to you that YOU ARE THE DRIVER causing this dangerous situation to happen?  

Its not up to you to decide how fast others wish to drive.  

Move to a real city and try that self-righteous sh*t.  You'll get shot eventually.

See you in the papers.

dggriffi
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 03:32:30 pm »

quote:
Passing on the right is a far more dangerous practice, and illegal

Which is exactly why you need to get over.   My understanding of the rule is that if you are in the passing lane and approached from behind,  then you MUST give way.  

If you think that you can sit in the left lane as long as your going the speed limit your mistaken.  That creates great danger for everyone.

i thought i would also add that if you are doing this in front of me AND talking on a cell phone,  i will be sure to make look like a close call on the back and the front.
Wrinkle
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 04:03:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

if youre driving the speed limit in the left hand lane of a busy freeway and forcing others to pass you on the right...you're the idiot. Period.

HEY GENIUS...has it occurred to you that YOU ARE THE DRIVER causing this dangerous situation to happen?  

Move to a real city and try that self-righteous sh*t.  You'll get shot eventually.

See you in the papers.

quote:

Nor you...Hypocroties
Where'd you get your driver's education, Fireball Roberts' School of Etiquette?

A speeding driver on a busy freeway doesn't create a hazardous situation, but someone driving the speed limit does. Only in your dreams. This isn't a PC game.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 04:09:25 pm »

I think Jackie Stewart said that if you force another driver to change speed or direction, you fail as a driver.  That would probably indicate that all of us would fail.

Regardless, this law will rarely be enforced.  Think about it for a moment.  If there are two lanes of traffic with the left hand lane moving 5mph faster, there's no cause to pull anyone over.  But is there cause when the speed difference is only 2 mph?  

Sorry, but this strikes me as more of a get-the-hell-out-of-my-way measure to be used by cops at their discretion.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
grahambino
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 04:23:11 pm »

quote:

quote:

See you in the papers.

quote:

Nor you...Hypocroties

A speeding driver on a busy freeway doesn't create a hazardous situation, but someone driving the speed limit does. Only in your dreams. This isn't a PC game.

I don't care how fast or slow you drive.  Just don't do it in the left lane.  Its not a matter of how, its where.  If I'm driving 80 down the freeway and someone wants to drive 85, i move over. I really don't give a crap how fast they are driving.  It's not up to me to decide.  I don't have this 'ego' complex you're apparently saddled with.

But based on previous statements you've made its apparent that YOU care how fast or slow I choose to.  

"And, any of you who think you're saving 5 minutes an hour by doing so are as crazy as you drive"

its my 5 minutes, not yours.

care to try again?
Wrinkle
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 04:33:08 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

See you in the papers.

that is such a ****ing crock of ****.  So if I'm plodding along at 65 in the middle lane and come up on you doing 60 in the left lane, I can't pass by you?  That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard this year.

Oh and 5 minutes an hour for a year is 30 hours of more things I have been able to accomplish than you.

Please be sure and drive really slow today so I can confirm which idiot on the road you are.

Apparently comprehension is as low as driving skills.

If I'm driving the speed limit and you're passing on the right, you're speeding, besides passing on the right. Who said anything about poking along at 60 in the left lane?

FWIW, I always attempt to move over when someone wishes to pass. But, it appears this crowd demands I do it in precisely their expected way, or they cut around in a truly dangerous manuver endangering themselves, me and everyone else in the area. All, so they have the right to speed that they expect.

And, 30 hours of your jacking off isn't even worth the extra sight seeing I get.

Wrinkle
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 04:57:46 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

See you in the papers.

quote:

Nor you...Hypocroties

I don't care how fast or slow you drive.  Just don't do it in the left lane.  Its not a matter of how, its where.  If I'm driving 80 down the freeway and someone wants to drive 85, i move over. I really don't give a crap how fast they are driving.  It's not up to me to decide.  I don't have this 'ego' complex you're apparently saddled with.

But based on previous statements you've made its apparent that YOU care how fast or slow I choose to.  

"And, any of you who think you're saving 5 minutes an hour by doing so are as crazy as you drive"

its my 5 minutes, not yours.

care to try again?

Most people who think they're actually saving 5 minutes by endangering everyone else end up being passed by me while their at McD's picking up a Big Gulp and Large Fry.

It doesn't appear to occur to you at all that sometimes there's a reason for a speed limit, beisdes it being the law. What other laws do you selectively choose to obey? Or, is it just the ones you don't think apply specifically to you. How egotistical is that?

Let me quess, you think those handicapped parking places are for your personal use, even though mental handicaps usually don't qualify.

Better yet, your in the rig I have to walk around to get to the store entrance because parking four spaces down is for cruds.

It is my 5-minutes when you cause a crash, killing three people and the next six hours are spent trying to decide if this piece goes to that body. Meanwhile, hundreds, perhaps thousands of other drivers are delayed, rerouted and late for their appointments.

Pretty selfish attitude you've got there, bud.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 07:25:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TeeDub

quote:

If you have given them enough room to pass you on the right, then you had more than ample time to semi-pokey your donkey into the right lane.

The real problem is people like you who don't understand that the left lane is for passing and not for "holier-than-thou" drivers to help the police enforce speed limits.

my nominee for post of the month!!!

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
waterboy
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 08:46:50 pm »

I drive a lot and I drive hard and smart. But no matter how fast you drive in the left lane some guy pulls up behind you and can't understand why you don't just move over and let him pursue his own interests. Never mind that the bulk of traffic is in the other two lanes and you would have to brake, cut in then dog someone else's donkey till you could get back over into the left lane. Just so I can see your sorry butt at the next exit waiting at the light? You think your so damn important that 85 is justified for you and those who don't drive that fast are just chumps? You're wrong on both counts.

Okay, I see both sides. But to be fair those who drive in the middle and right lanes who are closer to obeying the speed limit and yet are tailgated, cut off and otherwise harrassed by you Daytona wannabes have a case. Justice in this case appears heavily slanted towards the fast lane crowd who can always stay in that lane as they are always passing someone even if they have to do 85 to accomplish it. The law is to enable law enforcement and rescue vehicles...NOT to make sure leadfoots have a clear path.

A simple solution would be to acknowledge reality and make the left lane speed limit 10mph over the middle and access lanes. That way Speedracer can tailgate his own kind and if they exceed that 10+ they can pay the majority of the speeding tickets to fund the city. Then police can start ticketing the impatient tailgating morons in the other two lanes who are too lazy to change lanes and have never used their turn signal to do so cause it might "alert" someone of their intentions.

Those who stop on entrance lanes need to have their license yanked.
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 10:43:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

(snip)
A simple solution would be to acknowledge reality and make the left lane speed limit 10mph over the middle and access lanes. That way Speedracer can tailgate his own kind and if they exceed that 10+ they can pay the majority of the speeding tickets to fund the city. Then police can start ticketing the impatient tailgating morons in the other two lanes who are too lazy to change lanes and have never used their turn signal to do so cause it might "alert" someone of their intentions.

Those who stop on entrance lanes need to have their license yanked.

I think the idea is that the general public does accept the left lane is the "10 over" lane, some people try and enforce the law themselves and it pisses others off. That's all there is to it.

As far as stopping on entrance ramps... oh my gawd. I wish I had a bigass boot I could extend out of the front of my car to kick their bumper with, or the ability to instantly revoke their license on the spot.. ugh.

dggriffi
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 08:51:42 am »

For your discussion pleasure.  The oklahoma law regarding this topic

Section 11-303 - Overtaking a Vehicle on the Left - Signal
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

The following requirements shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions and special requirements hereinafter stated:

1. The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.

2. Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

3. Every driver who intends to pass another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, which requires moving his vehicle from one lane of traffic to another, shall first see that such movement can be made with safety and shall proceed to pass only after giving a proper signal by hand or mechanical device.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org