A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 04:52:01 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get out of the left lane.  (Read 15047 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 09:02:04 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by dggriffi

For your discussion pleasure.  The oklahoma law regarding this topic

Section 11-303 - Overtaking a Vehicle on the Left - Signal
Cite as: O.S. §, __ __

The following requirements shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions and special requirements hereinafter stated:

1. The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.

2. Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

3. Every driver who intends to pass another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, which requires moving his vehicle from one lane of traffic to another, shall first see that such movement can be made with safety and shall proceed to pass only after giving a proper signal by hand or mechanical device.

wait a minute, is #2 saying you can honk at the vehicle and they have to move over?  If so that is AWESOME!

A headlight flash is usually pretty effective. And slightly less obnoxious than honking.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 09:07:33 am »

Some idiot driving a black Chevy Aveo (I'm hoping he/she reads TN) around 4:45 northbound on Hwy 75 yesterday afternoon should have been run over.

Going onto the Arkansas River bridge there are three northbound through lanes, (right lane  terminates at an exit for 7th St. by OSU MC).  Another lane on the right starts for the 17th St. entry ramp and is also the exit ramp on to the BA eastbound.  

This knucklehead was in the lane adjacent to the BA exit lane, decided 500 feet from the divider he/she was going to get onto the BA.  They started progressively slowing down to a crawl to try and get on the BA.  That scattered cars everywhere.  Last I saw in my rearview, it looked like they had stopped altogether in the lane next to the BA exit.

Either stand on the gas or slow down just a little to merge in w/ traffic, or forget it and get off the next exit and double back.  Your stupid indecision, or trying to save two minutes on your drive home might kill someone else.  Buttmunch![xx(]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dggriffi
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 12:01:15 pm »

quote:
yes, but the law doesn't say you can do that. it says it has to be AUDIBLE. I'm guessing because if the idiot is taking up the left lane, they probably aren't checkig their mirrors either

The also doesn't say that it has to be loud enough for them to hear it so i would assume that technically speaking, the things im saying about them when its occurring could be considered an "audible signal"
Mike G
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 07:33:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle
Does this mean they're going to remove the 30mph signs they just finished installing from all the left lane exits?

Those are suggested speed limits, but you can go as fast as the posted speed limit.

quote:
The law also says car-to-car clearance in one lane is one car length for each 10mph.

There's not a distance (measurable) law.  It just states that you shouldn't drive too close.  The only way to determine if you are too close is if you actually hit the car in front of you, otherwise you aren't too close.

47 O.S. §11-310(a) - Following Too Closely
"The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicles and the traffic upon and the condition of the highway."

quote:
Passing on the right is a far more dangerous practice, and illegal.

Not illegal on same side of road with multiple lanes.

47 O.S. §11-304(a) - When Overtaking On The Right Is Permitted
"3. Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles."

quote:
Originally posted by Ed W
Regardless, this law will rarely be enforced.

A lot of other states enforce it very often and very well.  Why should Oklahoma be any different?

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy
Those who stop on entrance lanes need to have their license yanked.

Originally posted by EricP
As far as stopping on entrance ramps... oh my gawd. I wish I had a bigass boot I could extend out of the front of my car to kick their bumper with, or the ability to instantly revoke their license on the spot.. ugh.

Most entrance ramps have a yield sign, so they are obeying the law for the most part (there are the exception drivers).
waterboy
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 09:34:37 am »

Your last statement is a misinterpretation of the word. Yield does not mean stop, otherwise all signs would say "yield" instead of "Stop". You are not obeying the law when you stop on an entrance anymore than if you stopped before changing lanes to "yield" to the existing traffic. You are causing traffic accidents with that behavior and that is driving in a dangerous manner which is illegal.

Yield simply means that if someone is in a position on the roadway that precludes you from moving into that position, then you must yield (give way) to them. You adjust your speed to match the existing lane of traffic and merge. Neither the existing lane or the entrance ramp should need to brake severely if they are paying attention.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 12:14:35 pm »

quote:

Your last statement is a misinterpretation of the word. Yield does not mean stop, otherwise all signs would say "yield" instead of "Stop". You are not obeying the law when you stop on an entrance anymore than if you stopped before changing lanes to "yield" to the existing traffic. You are causing traffic accidents with that behavior and that is driving in a dangerous manner which is illegal.

Yield simply means that if someone is in a position on the roadway that precludes you from moving into that position, then you must yield (give way) to them. You adjust your speed to match the existing lane of traffic and merge. Neither the existing lane or the entrance ramp should need to brake severely if they are paying attention.

I agree with what you said.  Too many times especially on I44 where the entrance ramps are really short you see people coming to a dead stop to try and merge on the highway.  If they couldnt merge into traffic going 45-60mph what makes them think they can do it from a dead stop?

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
Mike G
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 10:18:38 pm »

quote:

Your last statement is a misinterpretation of the word. Yield does not mean stop, otherwise all signs would say "yield" instead of "Stop". You are not obeying the law when you stop on an entrance anymore than if you stopped before changing lanes to "yield" to the existing traffic. You are causing traffic accidents with that behavior and...

Actually it isn't a misinterpretation, it's the law.

Oklahoma Driver Manual
Page 6-2

"At intersections with yield signs - Slow down to a reasonable speed, and be ready to stop if other vehicles or pedestrians are approaching the intersection.  Cross or enter the flow of traffic when it's safe to do so."

and

47"]O.S. §11-703(e) - Stop Signs and Yield Signs
"The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign if required for safety to stop shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, in the event there is no crosswalk, at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway."

quote:

What you're referring to is a merge sign, where both the flow of highway traffic and the on-ramp traffic have to adjust their speed to merge with each other.

quote:
...that is driving in a dangerous manner which is illegal.

You might want to actually look up the law before you claim to know it.
tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 09:57:50 pm »

The drive right rule/law gets a bit in a grey area on congested highways. However, on the open highway or interstate, it should be followed at all times. I hate being forced to pass slow poke jackasses on the right because they are too stubborn to let me pass safely at a higher speed.

And as far as driving fast and safe, it is possible. I wish everyone had the opportunity to see how German highways (Autobahns) operate. The drive right rule is adhered to by EVERY driver. Faster moving traffic (I had to move over for a car to pass me while I was going 105 MPH) drives in the right lane, and only goes to the left to pass.

It's amazing to see all of the cars move left, then right as soon as they can. The best part is, the highway actually moves along smoother and with less congestion.

People who are only driving 70-80 MPH can stay right, and those going over 100MPH are welcome to move ahead and pass when necessary. There are no slow bozos hanging out in the left lane. You can't do that when AMG Mercedes are cruising along at 140+ MPH. You would cause a wreck if you did. And you would get a ticket.

That's the result of drivers' training being extensive and costly. They are taught how to drive at high speed, and how to do it safely.

waterboy
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 07:25:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mike G

quote:

Your last statement is a misinterpretation of the word. Yield does not mean stop, otherwise all signs would say "yield" instead of "Stop". You are not obeying the law when you stop on an entrance anymore than if you stopped before changing lanes to "yield" to the existing traffic. You are causing traffic accidents with that behavior and...

Actually it isn't a misinterpretation, it's the law.

Oklahoma Driver Manual
Page 6-2

"At intersections with yield signs - Slow down to a reasonable speed, and be ready to stop if other vehicles or pedestrians are approaching the intersection.  Cross or enter the flow of traffic when it's safe to do so."

and

47"]O.S. §11-703(e) - Stop Signs and Yield Signs
"The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign if required for safety to stop shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, in the event there is no crosswalk, at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway."

quote:

What you're referring to is a merge sign, where both the flow of highway traffic and the on-ramp traffic have to adjust their speed to merge with each other.

quote:
...that is driving in a dangerous manner which is illegal.

You might want to actually look up the law before you claim to know it.

I sure get tired of smart asses who quote codes and ordinances but have no idea what they mean or where they apply. Read the code you moron. It doesn't say what you interpret it as. We are talking about an entrance to a high speed expressway, not an intersection or a crosswalk! Seen any pedestrians on those expressway entrances?

It even says "slow and prepare to stop" NOT stop and prepare to enter high speed traffic from a dead stop. Give your license up if you can't understand the ordinance or if you're one of those idiots who stop instead of yield and merge on expressway entrances.
waterboy
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 03:00:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

well, you are just arguing symantics at this point.  You are saying that all people stop on the BA ramps.  I never see that to be the case.  What I see is people run up the the ramp entrance, see a car is in the lane, and then they slam on their brakes and come to an abrupt stop (as they should be since it is a yield)

As I thought about it later this am, i realized it is semantics. A Yield sign means slow down and be prepared to stop just like flashing yellows. Yielding to existing traffic does not mean you have to stop. It is a judgement call as to whether one needs to stop or speed up to fit in traffic. However, the situation you describe is the one accident I see most often on the BA expressway entering eastward at 21st. The lead car doesn't look back at the right hand lane of expwy traffic until its too late, then he suddenly brakes to near dead which causes chain reaction rearend accidents. He then blissfully drives off leaving the carnage secure in the thought that he had to stop.

If he had sat all day and watched people entering, he would realize HE is the exception. Most people know how to adjust by speeding up, slowing down or continuuing farther along the entrance till someone makes space for him. If you can't master that skill, you shouldn't be using an exprwy.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 02:15:18 pm »

I thought this was already being done.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=11723828

TULSA, OK -- Just in time for Christmas travelers, News on 6 Crime Reporter Lori Fullbright tells us about a newly passed law in Oklahoma that's aimed at moving left lane drivers over to the right.

The law went into effect November 1st, but not many people know about it yet.

Housebill 1368 was co-authored by Bud Smithson from Sallisaw. He's a former OHP Trooper and says drivers who hover in the left lane have long caused traffic problems and even some road rage. The law now says no one is allowed to drive in the left lane unless they're passing or preparing to turn left.

Smithson says troopers can write tickets to people who drive continually in the left lane and block traffic behind them.

The OHP says the cost of a ticket for violating the new left lane law is $188.50.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 04:58:25 pm »

I'd heard a rumor that such a law had gone into effect.

Don't you mean the penalty is $188.50 plus the possibility of a choke hold and/or spittle-laden tirade?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2009, 05:03:49 pm »

Good! About time we start making laws to wake up the stupid, the self centered, the vigilantes!!

* religioustafficsign.jpg (27.56 KB - downloaded 322 times.)
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 08:17:34 pm »

Apparently a state legislator got pulled over for parking in the left lane.  There is a newly enacted exception under 47 O.S. Sec. 11-309(6) that adds the following underlined language to the previous blanket prohibition against driving in the left lane except to pass:

6. Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a vehicle shall be driven in the right-hand lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. Provided, however, this paragraph shall not prohibit driving in a lane other than the right-hand lane when traffic conditions or flow, or both, or road configuration, such as the potential of merging traffic, require the use of lanes other than the right-hand lane to maintain safe traffic conditions.

This looks like a wonderful opportunity for prosecutors and defense lawyers to spend time arguing over whether use of lanes other than the right lane is "required" by conditions at the time.  There's plenty of ambiguity to work with.  Looking at the earlier history of this thread, I say let the flaming begin!

rwarn17588
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 08:29:21 pm »

Apparently a state legislator got pulled over for parking in the left lane.  There is a newly enacted exception under 47 O.S. Sec. 11-309(6) that adds the following underlined language to the previous blanket prohibition against driving in the left lane except to pass:

6. Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a vehicle shall be driven in the right-hand lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. Provided, however, this paragraph shall not prohibit driving in a lane other than the right-hand lane when traffic conditions or flow, or both, or road configuration, such as the potential of merging traffic, require the use of lanes other than the right-hand lane to maintain safe traffic conditions.

This looks like a wonderful opportunity for prosecutors and defense lawyers to spend time arguing over whether use of lanes other than the right lane is "required" by conditions at the time.  There's plenty of ambiguity to work with.  Looking at the earlier history of this thread, I say let the flaming begin!

Ambiguity, hell. This is just common sense.

If you've got a lot of cars in the right lanes and there's one of those awful merge areas on I-44, you'd better move over into the open left lanes to better facilitate the flow of traffic. Being a purist about a law means you're going to end up in a wreck or, worse, a fatality.

I dislike left-lane squatters as much as the next person. But you'd better put some wiggle room in the law, or else you're going to give fascist troopers even more of a chance at getting their jollies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org