A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 04:53:37 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Get out of the left lane.  (Read 15049 times)
tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2009, 08:27:30 pm »

This all sounds great to me. The ticketing issue is more directed toward driving outside of the city, when it should be enforced. It doesn't really apply to heavy city traffic.

I've had the good fortune to drive across Germany, and it is wonderful to have the highways moving in such an orderly manner. Left lane is only for passing, passing on the right is illegal and doesn't happen. All drivers give up their lane for faster moving traffic. Everyone drives in the right lane, and moves to the left only long enough to pass, and then immediately back to the right.

Everything works there so much better, and with no speed limit in many parts!!!!!

Our driving instruction and schooling should be a rigorous as the Germans.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2009, 09:21:56 pm »

Ambiguity, hell. This is just common sense.

If you've got a lot of cars in the right lanes and there's one of those awful merge areas on I-44, you'd better move over into the open left lanes to better facilitate the flow of traffic. Being a purist about a law means you're going to end up in a wreck or, worse, a fatality.

I dislike left-lane squatters as much as the next person. But you'd better put some wiggle room in the law, or else you're going to give fascist troopers even more of a chance at getting their jollies.

Especially on those two exits on 244 where some genius decided left exits would be a good idea.  I know ALOT of out-of-town friends who do a lot of traveling who are baffled by that configuration.  Even the highway geeks (search on the internet, they're everywhere) scratch their heads about that.  And I live down the street from them, so I used them as I was growing up and was under the notion they might be semi-normal.  I moved to Houston and realized that wasn't going to be the case.

Also it's time for ODOT to reconfigure the BA/169 interchange to a four level flyover.  Cloverleafs are way too dangerous there.  Same could be said for the BA/Skelly interchange.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2009, 11:59:01 pm »

Our driving instruction and schooling should be a rigorous as the Germans.

The cost of the training would eliminate too many financially challenged people and then determined to be illegal discrimination.

Too many Americans could probably not pass the driver's test even after training.

The other thing Americans are missing is a willingness to follow the "rules" after they get their training. 

I too was able to drive the Autobahns in 1995.  Wonderful experience.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2009, 10:49:31 am »

As I was driving in on the Turner coming in from OKC this morning, I had to bright the guy in front of me in the left lane twice before he finally pulled his cell phone from his ear and got over to the right lane after we passed a semi.  He'd been in the left lane for miles.  I can only assume he was lost in cell phone la-la land and forgot he was driving.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2009, 11:05:55 am »

As I was driving in on the Turner coming in from OKC this morning, I had to bright the guy in front of me in the left lane twice before he finally pulled his cell phone from his ear and got over to the right lane after we passed a semi.  He'd been in the left lane for miles.  I can only assume he was lost in cell phone la-la land and forgot he was driving.

I've given up on Linksfahrers and pass on the right.  I don't like it but it's usually the only way to get around them.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2009, 06:22:38 pm »

Ah, Oklahoma, where ALL the drivers are above average!

(With apologies to Garrison Keillor.)

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org