A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 06:30:33 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 2647 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: January 11, 2008, 10:51:53 am »

Ahhh yes, the title guarantees record TulsaNow post views.

I recently read an article that relates the amazing efforts Alcohol distributors are going to in an effort to keep up the status quo.  In most states, alcohol must transfer from the maker -> to the interstate distributor -> to a local distributor -> then to the store -> and then to the customer.  Clearly this yields higher prices as each level must add to the cost  in order to profit.

Another disadvantage of this system is the hindrance on the market.  Often distributors have a monopoly on a product or perhaps no distributor in an area will handle a product.  Resulting in a limitation of supply, price fixing, or in the latter case the lack of choice.  Yet another result of these laws is the unavailability of direct shipping of wines (it usurps the three tier system).

Recently a Supreme Court ruling held (basically) that it was  an illegal restriction of interstate commerce if such laws effectively prohibit the sale of wines from one state, into another state.
GRANHOLM V. HEALD (03-1116) 544 U.S. 460 (2005), available at http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/03-1116.ZO.html

The long and short of it for Oklahoma is this:  Oklahoma wineries want access to other State's markets.  That will not happen unless Oklahoma opens up as seemingly required by this ruling.  However, instead of doing so Oklahoma - as long as every other state, is taking huge sums of money from Distributor Lobbyists to find a way to maintain the status quo:

Less alcohol choice, higher prices, and less Oklahoma wineries.  

About Bills in Oklahoma:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20070507/ai_n19064494
Around the nation:
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/124327.html
- - -

So I was wondering if anyone knew anything else on this, or of course - had 2 cents to throw in.  I am hard pressed to find a reason to keep this system as law.  I am free to buy my firearms directly from a manufacturer, or nearly any other product.  Yet unless it is an intrastate transaction most state's require a bottle of wine to change hands a half dozen times before I can pop the cork.  Someone explain the bennefit to the citizens of Oklahoma.

Oh, and the rest of our blue laws suck too.
[Smiley]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
inteller
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:09:32 am »

on a related note, does anyone know where I can get Arrogant Bastard Ale in Tulsa or will I continue to have it shipped in from San Diego?
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:42:12 am »

On a related note - whatever happened to the Oklahomans For Modern Laws petition?

FOTD
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:46:51 pm »

Do you think the alcohol distributers are trying to road block the grocery stores from selling booze too?

"It's a joke. Greed and the desire to take drugs are two seperate things. If you want to seperate the two, the thing to do is make drugs legal."
Jerry Garcia
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:00:37 pm »

I don't think the distributors are, but I'm sure the liquor $tore$ are.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:10:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by CoffeeBean

On a related note - whatever happened to the Oklahomans For Modern Laws petition?

I don't see it happening.  But stranger things have . . .

http://newsok.com/article/3188905/

quote:
Fri January 4, 2008

Petition still alive, legislative help sought

A proposed petition drive to allow Oklahoma wineries to sell their products to grocery stores is still alive, a consultant said Friday.

Meanwhile, several bills to help winemakers recover from a legal setback have been introduced for the 2008 legislative session, which begins next month.

Larry Wood, who is working on the grocery store proposal for Oklahomans for Modern Laws, said fundraising efforts for a petition drive would be stepped up, now that the holiday period has ended.

"We have various groups out raising money for us," Wood said. He said the group wants to raise $400,000 for a petition drive. He said he knows of one pledge of $75,000 and one potential contributor has offered to "top off" the fundraising effort once a majority of the money is raised.

Wood had announced the petition drive would begin late last year, but said it was delayed until enough money could be raised to hire a professional signature-gathering firm.

Gary Butler, president of the Oklahoma Grape Growers and Wine Makers Association, said he is optimistic lawmakers will pass two bills — one to permit direct sales on a limited basis to the homes of wine lovers and one to allow restricted sales to restaurants and liquor stores.

Butler said his association has "kind of taken a neutral position" on the proposed initiative petition, which would permit wine to be sold in grocery stores.

"It is something some members support very strongly," Butler said. "Almost an equal number would like to stay neutral on it because they have built a good relationship with liquor stores."

Wood said a majority of wineries support the proposal.

"A couple of the big ones don't because they don't want competition," Wood said.

The number of wineries in Oklahoma grew from a handful to more than 30 after a state question was adopted several years ago in a statewide vote to permit winemakers to sell to liquor stores and restaurants.

In 2006, however, a federal judge ruled the law unconstitutional because it discriminated against out-of-state wineries.

The ruling went into effect last July, leaving some Oklahoma winemakers with nowhere to sell their products except at special events like county and state fairs, unless they went through a wholesaler.

Butler said a bill to allow winemakers to "self distribute" their products to liquor stores and restaurants would give small wineries a chance to grow.

The proposal, by Rep. Don Armes, R-Faxon, would limit such sales by individual wineries to 10,000 gallons of wine a year. It seeks to meet constitutional guidelines by allowing out-of-state wineries to do the same.

Armes said as a practical matter, big out-of-state wineries would continue to market their products from wholesale to retail because they sell much more than 10,000 gallons of wine each year in Oklahoma

Bills to allow direct shipments of wine to Oklahoma homes have been introduced by Reps. Jeff Hickman, R-Dacoma, and Al McAffrey, D-Oklahoma City.

Butler said those measures, which limit the amount of wine an individual could purchase, would "open the door to thousands of wine labels that are not available to Oklahomans today unless they go to a winery in another state."

Armes said he has involved wholesalers in discussions on his bill in hopes they go will go along.

"Basically, the wholesalers are going to have to bless whatever the Oklahoma wine industry wants to do or it will never pass," Armes said.

Sen. Harry Coates, R-Seminole, pushed legislation to provide new markets for state winemakers through the Senate last year, only to see it die in the House. He blamed the defeat on "powerful wholesale liquor interests."

Coates said he did not offer similar legislation this year, but would be willing to sign on to bills that get out of the House.

James McSpadden has been retained by the wineries to lobby for their legislation.

"We will be tweaking the language in those two bills quite a bit because we are having ongoing negotiations with wholesalers," McSpadden said. "They've been willing to sit down at the table with us, which we appreciate."

Both Armes and McSpadden said it is unlikely any legislation would pass to allow grocery store sales of wine.

"If it does come up as a state question, it would have to be done as a petition," McSpadden said.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org