A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:26:14 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sales Tax Increase down the Pike  (Read 10950 times)
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 08:16:39 am »

Whoa, whoa, whoa... just a minute here.  who said Oklahoma City's sales tax was going to be higher???  It will remain the same rate as it is today, it will just take the place of the MAPS for Kids 1-cent sales tax, which expires in 2009.  So, our rate will not change... it will remain at 8.375%.

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 10:33:42 am »

quote:
Originally posted by okcpulse

Whoa, whoa, whoa... just a minute here.  who said Oklahoma City's sales tax was going to be higher???  It will remain the same rate as it is today, it will just take the place of the MAPS for Kids 1-cent sales tax, which expires in 2009.  So, our rate will not change... it will remain at 8.375%.

Oh, now OKCpulse, why would you want to bring some silly little facts into the discussion?  ;-)  Folks here at tulsanow don't really appreciate facts that don't support their mythology.

dsjeffries
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 10:39:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Oil Capital

quote:

Oh, now OKCpulse, why would you want to bring some silly little facts into the discussion?  ;-)  Folks here at tulsanow don't really appreciate facts that don't support their mythology.

Excuse you, OC... The article barely mentioned any expiring tax, therefore I don't know about it--it's not drivel.  I had to read it over again to even see it.

So OKC's tax rate will still be lower--big whoop!  The point I was making is that OKC keeps passing measures with wide support for improving their community and Tulsa refused $625 million in free money/development.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 10:42:45 am »

quote:

The City sales tax is higher. OKC does not currently have a county sales tax.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 10:56:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DScott28604

quote:

quote:

Excuse you, OC... The article barely mentioned any expiring tax, therefore I don't know about it--it's not drivel.  I had to read it over again to even see it.

So OKC's tax rate will still be lower--big whoop!  The point I was making is that OKC keeps passing measures with wide support for improving their community and Tulsa refused $625 million in free money/development.

I got your point, and it's well taken.  The focus of your (our) ire should be on Tulsa's city and county leadership.  

For many many years, OKC was in the same position because their city leaders had routinely lied to them, had failed to complete promised projects, etc.  At long last, with their promotion and passage of the original MAPS, they (with new accountable leadership) broke free of that.

Tulsa now finds itself in the exact position that OKC was in 20 years ago.  Broken, dishonest, incompetent city/county leadership, not to mention the TDA, and DTU.  The citizens have been routinely lied to and misled and we've been watching ridiculously incompetent decision-making (kicking Bell's off the fairground anyone?).  Then when they promote tax-raising plans they do it with dishonest and insulting campaigns (the River campaign takes the cake for dishonest and insulting civic campaigns).  

Hopefully sometime soon, Tulsa will find some competent honest leadership (or at least the current leadership will wake up and discover that the lies don't work any more).  When that happens, Tulsans will likely be more inclined to approve sound public projects, just as has been the case in OKC.

TulsaSooner
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 12:45:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

This is true.  Tulsa County has a 1.017% sales tax where Oklahoma County has none.
Wrinkle
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 01:49:14 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ha! 'Free' money was pulled off the table. Otherwise, I'm sure we'd not refuse. But, Oh, it wasn't 'free', perhaps?

BTW, just where are you getting your $625M? The River Tax gratuities were only $112M, and it's the only measure which has failed since the Library.

And, don't bring up that Channels thing again.

Wrinkle
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 01:52:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaSooner

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

This is true.  Tulsa County has a 1.017% sales tax where Oklahoma County has none.

The next time there's a vote, we can expect the County's portion to continue to diminish. They're done with Sales Tax, IMO.

Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 01:59:19 pm »

quote:

News in the from World... Oklahoma City Mayor Cornett is asking for a 1 cent sales tax increase to fund improvements to the Ford Center and for an NBA practice facility.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080116_1__OKLAH17270
quote:
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett and local business leaders kicked off a campaign Tuesday backing a penny sales tax to fund improvements to the Ford Center and construction of an NBA practice facility.

Voters will decide on March 4 whether to approve the tax, which is expected to raise $120 million over 15 months. Cornett said the improvements are needed in order to lure an NBA team to the city.

If approved, the tax would start Jan. 1, the day after a sales tax for school improvements elapses. The practice facility and other improvements planned specifically for the NBA would not be built if a team does not relocate to the city, and the tax would be shortened to 12 months and would raise about $97 million.

The Seattle SuperSonics have filed for relocation to Oklahoma City, but a vote by the NBA Board of Governors is not expected until April.

Cornett said that an NBA team would provide a major economic boost to the city and that the Ford Center improvements would also be good for concerts, special events and conventions.

The improvements would include new restaurants, bars and concession areas, a television studio suitable for team interviews, decorative floors and walls, improved
bathrooms, a warm-up court and new locker rooms.

No organized opposition to the tax proposal has emerged, but Oklahoma City resident Steve Hunt said he intended to lead an effort against it.

“I am going to try to get a local group of people that I know to get together and hand out literature,” Hunt said. “It's not expensive, what we do. I have a lot of Internet and YouTube experience.”

Hunt will be up against a campaign funded by the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce. Chamber President Roy Williams said the group should know by the end of the week how much it would spend on the campaign.

The chamber has backed recent campaigns for an Oklahoma City school bond issue and a city general obligation bond issue which will pay for street projects and other capital improvements. Voters approved both bond issues.

“It will be a much more expensive campaign than the city or school bond campaigns,” Williams said. “We are using campaign professionals that have had experience in these type of campaigns. They put together the strategy. They do the polling. They help construct the campaign.”

I would bet that Oklahoma City passes this measure, even though it's a full cent.

It's sad to see such a clear difference in citizens' philosophies between Tulsa and OKC... One of progress and proactiveness and one of, well, NOT.

We couldn't even get four-tenths of a penny and subsequently turned down $125 million in donations and $500 million in development.

THAT, my friends, is sad. [Sad]

(On a lighter note, if this passes, OKC's sales tax rate will be wayyyy higher than Tulsa's, so now the naysayer's can't try to claim that our taxes are just toooooo high)

Asking OKC voters to approve a $120 million sales tax to "improve" a FIVE YEAR old arena that cost only $90 million to build has to be an even dumber idea than The Channels.

Expect it to FAIL.  

Voters are taxed out, inflation is soaring, the housing market is tanking nationwide, energy prices are soaring, and the economy is heading South faster than an illegal alien at Felice Navidad.

[8D]
USRufnex
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 03:41:16 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

You know DScott, when you quote Oil Capital, I can't successfully use my power of ignore on him (or her)... [Cheesy]

The funny thing is that on several issues I can agree with some of OC's points.... BUT... this guy is STILL coming from the point of view that everything Oklahoma City does is superior to what Tulsa does... everything OKC can do has more potential than what Tulsa can (or should) do..... Tulsa lies to its citizens, OKC doesn't... if there's anyone on this site who functions based on mythology, it's OC... a Tulsa critic on every issue who wishes he were in Houston... and refuses to change screen names to something more appropriate... like Oklahoma City... [:O]

That said, OKC's Mayor Mick is a former sportscaster (KOCO), so he will push hard for this temporary tax... and the citizens of OKC already have the advantage of seeing the benefits of what an NBA team can do for the city.  There was previous criticism when the Ford Center was built, that it was being built "on the cheap."  Cheap all the way down to "width of seats."  The way that arena was pitched to the voters, there's room for the local politicians and the Gaylord-news-cheerleaders to say, "we built the arena to attract an NHL or NBA team"... "now's our chance to git-r-done."  

Clay Bennett (plus the rest of OKC's ownership group) has already spent hundreds of millions of dollars to buy the Sonics... which adds up to far more than Tulsa's $100mil in "private donations" for development that sought to include public sales tax money.  Bennett saw the opportunity to take the team to OKC; they've played the game correctly... they have NBA commish Stern in their back pocket.

And for all those folks who continue to call the Tulsa World, "the Whirled"--- ironically, it's the more conservative Daily Oklahoman who will become a HUGE CHEERLEADER for this project in ways that would make a Tulsa River Tax supporter and the folks at the so-called liberal Tulsa World, BLUSH... [:I]

http://newsok.com/article/3129823/1190260928

Sept. 20, 2007
by John Rohde, The Oklahoman

quote:
From where we're standing, it doesn't appear you're particularly fond of the NBA. Too bad, seeing how your franchise has been there since 1967.

You also don't seem too fond of us Okies, neither. Aw, heck, that's all right. We're used to it.

Charles Barkley poked fun at us awhile back and first thing we did was offer to throw him a parade. We're weird that way.

We're easy targets, still fighting our "Grapes of Wrath” reputation.

You guys got Starbucks, and we got Steinbeck.

Hardly seems fair, but we're OK (l-a-h-o-m-a).

We've been readin' what you you've been writin' about us these past few months.

Ya'll think we're nothing but a bunch of land-stealing, crop-dusting, bare-foot, chicken-ranch slumlords, living in shotgun houses with no running water.

But unlike you, we know how to treat an NBA franchise.

Just ask the New Orleans Hornets. They took to us pretty good for two seasons in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. They're welcome back anytime.

Your Sonics are welcome anytime, too.

Next year seems as good a time as any.

Pardon us, but what's your major malfunction about keeping the Sonics?

Here's what we've noticed since last July:

•Some Oklahoma City businessmen purchased your Sonics and WNBA Storm for $350 million, which was roughly $100 million more than face value at the time.

The new owners gave you 15 months to approve funding for a state-of-the-art facility, a place good enough for the NBA, the NHL and every recording artist imaginable — grunge or not.

But ya'll insist on clinging to KeyArena, the league's smallest facility that sits in the original hole dug for the 1962 World's Fair.

You set your clocks ahead for the NFL Seahawks and MLB Mariners, why not the Sonics?

Ownership chairman Clay Bennett keeps reminding you KeyArena is not acceptable, and you just keep ignoring him.

We've got mules around here that are less stubborn.

•Had Bennett and Co. not purchased the Sonics and Storm, they'd both be in San Jose by now.

At least these guys gave you an opportunity to save your franchise.

And you still demand they fork over a few hundred more million for a new arena.

Come on, folks. Try decaf.

•To raise roughly $300 million toward the new facility, all you had to do was extend an existing tax, not increase it.

Your elected officials wouldn't even put this to a vote.

With all the complaining you guys do up there, we figured you were at least allowed to vote.

Had you put the arena proposal on a ballot, the people would have been heard, the issue would have been decided, legislators would have been off the hook, and you all could start complaining about something else.

Clay Bennett married into the Gaylord family years ago...

That's right, sportsfans... The Daily Disappointment is so very much on the same page as Clay Bennett and Mayor Mick that months ago back in September, John Rohde wrote... "To raise roughly $300 million toward the new facility, all you had to do was extend an existing tax, not increase it... Your elected officials wouldn't even put this to a vote... With all the complaining you guys do up there, we figured you were at least allowed to vote."

So, OKC will vote on this... if it gets voted down, Bennett will most likely sell the Sonics and/or move the team to Kansas City's Sprint Center, built at a cost of nearly $300mil...

Game... set... match.  Membership has its priviledges...
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 05:06:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

quote:

quote:

quote:

You know DScott, when you quote Oil Capital, I can't successfully use my power of ignore on him (or her)... [Cheesy]

The funny thing is that on several issues I can agree with some of OC's points.... BUT... this guy is STILL coming from the point of view that everything Oklahoma City does is superior to what Tulsa does... everything OKC can do has more potential than what Tulsa can (or should) do..... Tulsa lies to its citizens, OKC doesn't... if there's anyone on this site who functions based on mythology, it's OC... a Tulsa critic on every issue who wishes he were in Houston... and refuses to change screen names to something more appropriate... like Oklahoma City... [:O]

That said, OKC's Mayor Mick is a former sportscaster (KOCO), so he will push hard for this temporary tax... and the citizens of OKC already have the advantage of seeing the benefits of what an NBA team can do for the city.  There was previous criticism when the Ford Center was built, that it was being built "on the cheap."  Cheap all the way down to "width of seats."  The way that arena was pitched to the voters, there's room for the local politicians and the Gaylord-news-cheerleaders to say, "we built the arena to attract an NHL or NBA team"... "now's our chance to git-r-done."  

Clay Bennett (plus the rest of OKC's ownership group) has already spent hundreds of millions of dollars to buy the Sonics... which adds up to far more than Tulsa's $100mil in "private donations" for development that sought to include public sales tax money.  Bennett saw the opportunity to take the team to OKC; they've played the game correctly... they have NBA commish Stern in their back pocket.

And for all those folks who continue to call the Tulsa World, "the Whirled"--- ironically, it's the more conservative Daily Oklahoman who will become a HUGE CHEERLEADER for this project in ways that would make a Tulsa River Tax supporter and the folks at the so-called liberal Tulsa World, BLUSH... [:I]

Sept. 20, 2007

quote:
From where we're standing, it doesn't appear you're particularly fond of the NBA. Too bad, seeing how your franchise has been there since 1967.

You also don't seem too fond of us Okies, neither. Aw, heck, that's all right. We're used to it.

Charles Barkley poked fun at us awhile back and first thing we did was offer to throw him a parade. We're weird that way.

Ya'll think we're nothing but a bunch of land-stealing, crop-dusting, bare-foot, chicken-ranch slumlords, living in shotgun houses with no running water.

Just ask the New Orleans Hornets. They took to us pretty good for two seasons in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. They're welcome back anytime.

•Some Oklahoma City businessmen purchased your Sonics and WNBA Storm for $350 million, which was roughly $100 million more than face value at the time.

The new owners gave you 15 months to approve funding for a state-of-the-art facility, a place good enough for the NBA, the NHL and every recording artist imaginable — grunge or not.

But ya'll insist on clinging to KeyArena, the league's smallest facility that sits in the original hole dug for the 1962 World's Fair.

You set your clocks ahead for the NFL Seahawks and MLB Mariners, why not the Sonics?

Ownership chairman Clay Bennett keeps reminding you KeyArena is not acceptable, and you just keep ignoring him.

•Had Bennett and Co. not purchased the Sonics and Storm, they'd both be in San Jose by now.

•To raise roughly $300 million toward the new facility, all you had to do was extend an existing tax, not increase it.

With all the complaining you guys do up there, we figured you were at least allowed to vote.

Had you put the arena proposal on a ballot, the people would have been heard, the issue would have been decided, legislators would have been off the hook, and you all could start complaining about something else.

That's right, sportsfans... The Daily Disappointment is so very much on the same page as Clay Bennett and Mayor Mick that months ago back in September, John Rohde wrote... "To raise roughly $300 million toward the new facility, all you had to do was extend an existing tax, not increase it... Your elected officials wouldn't even put this to a vote... With all the complaining you guys do up there, we figured you were at least allowed to vote."

So, OKC will vote on this... if it gets voted down, Bennett will most likely sell the Sonics and/or move the team to Kansas City's Sprint Center, built at a cost of nearly $300mil...

Subscribe to Dish or Digital Cable, and enjoy the game, WHEREVER IT IS PLAYED, in the comfort of your humble abode.

All without buying a sky-high priced ticket, an overpriced hot dog, watered down beer, or pay for a parking space and gasoline to get there.

[Wink]

Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 05:48:48 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sept. 20, 2007

quote:

Did you have a point?  Or did you intend for your post to be nothing more than another one of your ranting streams of random personal attacks and innuendo?

dsjeffries
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 05:57:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

Ha! 'Free' money was pulled off the table. Otherwise, I'm sure we'd not refuse. But, Oh, it wasn't 'free', perhaps?

BTW, just where are you getting your $625M? The River Tax gratuities were only $112M, and it's the only measure which has failed since the Library.

And, don't bring up that Channels thing again.

Actually, there was $117m in DONATIONS for improvements along RiverParks and another $5m or so for pools, etc... Then the Tulsa Landing, which was a $500m development... Am I really that far off? NO.

And who EVER said anything about Channels?[?]
USRufnex
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 06:48:52 pm »

quote:

Did you have a point?  Or did you intend for your post to be nothing more than another one of your ranting streams of random personal attacks and innuendo?

I expressed my opinion of you in the first paragraph.  

If you chose not to read any further, it is not my fault...
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 07:41:01 pm »

quote:

quote:

I expressed my opinion of you in the first paragraph.  

If you chose not to read any further, it is not my fault...

Read the whole thing.  Again, did you have a point?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org