A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:32:32 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone besides me find this horrifying?  (Read 5353 times)
LisaPeace
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:41:11 pm »

I noticed today that at the TCC library, there was a big poster from the Oklahoma Library Assn. Literacy Initiative. that had a picture of Toby Keith on it and the slogan "Read Y'all!".  I thought it was so freakish that our state is using this slogan to promote LITERACY that I took a photo of it on my phone and showed it to my 6th grade son.  His response?  "Oh yeah, they have posters like that in our library at school".  

Here's the website: Read Y'All!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 05:43:13 pm »

Completely embarrassing.

Power is nothing till you use it.
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:49:12 pm »

I had the same reaction.

kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 05:51:18 pm »

Wow...That's just sad.
bucuo
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 06:12:40 pm »

Y'all need to lighten up........[Wink]
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:24:21 pm »

Scott Carter, former PR director at Oklahoma County’s Metropolitan Library System came up with the Read Y’all slogan. “The theme works on a number of levels,” Carter said. “It’s an inclusive slogan and it’s in a Southern slang that is comfortable to Oklahomans. It dispels the myth that reading is only for the elite. Some people see it as tongue-in-cheek. However they see it, most people have a good feeling about the project.”
dsjeffries
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 06:29:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Scott Carter, former PR director at Oklahoma County’s Metropolitan Library System came up with the Read Y’all slogan. “The theme works on a number of levels,” Carter said. “It’s an inclusive slogan and it’s in a Southern slang that is comfortable to Oklahomans. It dispels the myth that reading is only for the elite. Some people see it as tongue-in-cheek. However they see it, most people have a good feeling about the project.”

Oh wrighte, I forgott, only them-thar elites kin reed. [xx(][B)][xx(][B)][Sad] God save us.
waterboy
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 06:32:12 pm »

quote:

I agree with Carter. Its harmless.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 07:40:37 pm »

Where I grew up, it would be, "Hey! Yunz need readin'!"

The juxtaposition of an imperative message with a homey colloquial expression is meant to convey humor, creating as it does a kind of homespun cognitive dissonance that ordinarily results in laughter as the intended audience reacts to that implied inner conflict.

Of course, when you have to esplain it, it's not funny anymore.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
tulsasignnazi
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 08:20:34 pm »

Oh, the horror!  Whatever.  Forget it.[Tongue][Tongue]
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 10:03:21 pm »

I actually find it repugnant. One can only hope they have done their homework. I would like to see the marketing studies that came up with this idea and showed it would work.

Hmm... and the Chair of the committee setting this up is named Buffy? We are doomed. She probably thought that WAS proper english.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Daniel Wright
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 10:18:59 pm »

Most 6th graders would have gone with
I can haz Reazingz!!@!!1111 LOL!!!11111

Consider ourselves lucky Toby Keith was all we ended up with.
TulsaSooner
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 11:08:37 pm »

I was equally horrified by the 'Say No to Drugs' campaign of the 80's.

I mean, I'm nearly 40 years old now and drugs have never asked me anything!
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:48:24 am »

quote:

Scott Carter, former PR director at Oklahoma County’s Metropolitan Library System came up with the Read Y’all slogan. “The theme works on a number of levels,” Carter said. “It’s an inclusive slogan and it’s in a Southern slang that is comfortable to Oklahomans. It dispels the myth that reading is only for the elite.

I wonder how Carter would assess the "Read a Book" video's inclusiveness of popular black culture these days?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2VqFPNS8w&feature=related

(turn the volume down if you are at work or have youngsters nearby)

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 08:44:31 am »

Horrible.

Slang has a place in the world.  But generally one would wish a child or other illiterate would learn to use proper English and maybe even grammar before endeavoring to supplant slang into their vernacular.  Why would you want to start out speaking poorly and later try to correct it?

Why not:  "Yo you be readin" or any other improper slang that part of our society would be comfortable with?  Is redneck or souther drawl now the official language of Oklahoma?

Clearly it is not the end of the world, but to promote literacy with poor English is just a bad decision.  If that is the level of literacy we're shooting for it's no wonder our education continues to lag.  

Of course, if I thought for a second that the posters would get even a small percentage of people to read I'd be OK with it - but they wont.  No one is going to enter a literacy program because Toby Keith says "Ya'll" on a poster.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org