A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:35:40 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TU mascot number two worst in the country?  (Read 3792 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: January 21, 2008, 12:33:18 am »

According to this list...

http://www.drivl.com/posts/view/738

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:50:25 am »

That list is completely worthless. Pretty much every mascot on that list is awesome. It's like they singled out all the unique mascots.

They must think Bulldogs and Tigers are cool mascots.

inteller
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:12:21 am »

i dunno, those Salukis look ****in rad.  If I had a rabid looking dog as my mascot I think i'd be all about that.

I never knew TUs mascot was called Captain Cane...I have to agree that is pretty stupid.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 07:42:41 am »

Look at the name of that site, Drivl, I think they live up to (or down to possibly in this case) to their name.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:28:21 am »

Doing a mascot of an inanimate object is kind of hard.  Really not even an object - it's a weather event.  How the hell do you do that?

I've embraced the badness.  Nothing else we can do really.  It is a perennial point of discussion with other fans along with the Hurricane name in generally.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:58:22 am »

I'm with you. Captain Cane is so retarded that he's cool.
inteller
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 11:09:01 am »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

I'm with you. Captain Cane is so retarded that he's cool.

wow, I guess someone could make the same argument for the Mayor.
CoffeeBean
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:53:21 am »

The list selected the Stanford Tree as the worst mascot.  This screams idiocy.  

First, the Stanford Tree is not even an "official" mascot:

quote:
Stanford's team name is "The Cardinal," referring to the vivid red color (not the common song bird as at several other schools), and the University has never been able to come up with an official mascot which adequately conveys the fierceness and sporting prowess it had hoped to symbolize with that particular shade of sanguine. This fact creates a void not typically found at schools with less-abstract symbols for their sports teams, and into this unfulfilled void the Stanford Band has insistently thrust what is one of the United States' most bizarre college mascots.  More here

Second, because the mascot wasn't created by the administration, a marketing firm, or some other vapid institution, it's the one mascot that actually reflects the students it represents.  

The Stanford Tree may be the best mascot out there.

Sardonicus Rex
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 01:07:14 pm »

At least he looks better now than he did when I went to school there in the 1980s. We called that version the Golden Potato.

Maybe the state department of libraries could use Captain Cane in their reading promotion -- Cap'n Cane says ... Read, y'all!
jackbristow
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 02:39:39 pm »

Geeeez, you guys sound ridiculous for taking that thing so seriously.  Read what they said about each...it's freaking HILARIOUS!  Don't be too quick to take offense to it and sit back and laugh a little bit.  Yes, those mascots are great, but all mascots are subject to being made fun of one way or another.  Give me break.  It's all in fun!

I always thought TU's mascot being the Golden Hurricane was pretty funny myself.  Ever heard of a "Golden Shower?"  Well if you have, then imagine a Golden Hurricane!!!
grahambino
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 03:27:31 pm »

that was a funny read.
thanks for the link.

bigdtottown
Activist

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 04:20:43 pm »

I just read that...it's hysterical.  "Dude, that's a duck"...priceless.

Buck
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 05:12:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sardonicus Rex

At least he looks better now than he did when I went to school there in the 1980s. We called that version the Golden Potato.

It's like the Golden Potato went on a diet, and we got the Golden Carrot instead... Actually, I thought the old Huffy was pretty cute, though his facial expression did remind me of a baby trying to fart...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org