A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 06:26:01 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kingspointe Villagers no longer beg for food  (Read 15268 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: February 01, 2008, 07:43:20 am »

quote:

Good food filling KingsPointe space

by: ROBERT EVATT World Staff Writer
2/1/2008  12:00 AM

Two restaurants and a specialty grocery with a bakery are coming.

Three years after the closure of gourmet grocer The Market, the vacated space at KingsPointe Village will literally get a new beginning.

D'Novo Lean Gourmet -- a new healthy meal delivery service whose name carries the Latin term for "new beginning," -- will bring two new restaurants and a specialty grocery with a bakery into the 22,000-square-foot space late this spring, said Anna Hollinger, president of D'Novo.

All areas of the new center will carry a gourmet, high-quality feel, she said. That includes the first component scheduled to open in May -- a fast-casual restaurant with an upscale design.

"It'll be an elegant place with nice art," Hollinger said.

Sharon King-Davis, the owner and developer of KingsPointe Village, said she's thrilled to finally bring fine food back to 61st Street and Yale Avenue.

"What they've planned is absolutely spectacular for Tulsa," she said. "The idea of gourmet food done healthfully by a renowned Tulsa chef is right on target."

King-Davis said she courted national specialty grocers, though Oklahoma's prohibition against selling wine in grocery stores kept them from coming. She said she's glad a local organization decided to open a food center on its own.

The cuisine at D'Novo's fast-casual restaurant will take a cue from Hollinger's current delivery service. She said the business, which she helped form last May with professional chef Drew Flatt and Tom Kivisto, CEO of Tulsa-based SemGroup LP, delivers entire meals that are low-calorie, balanced, tasty and "beautiful."

In fact, the desire to make healthy dining easier is what caused her to give up a successful career as a real estate broker to form D'Novo.

"We're hoping to take a lot of the guesswork out of it," Hollinger said.

A few of Flatt's creations that could end up on the fast-casual menu, which changes from lunch to dinner, include lemongrass marinated grilled chicken salad, veal scaloppini with lemon picatta and organic whole wheat spaghetti.

The other restaurant will have a more luxurious feel, featuring tapas or "small plate" dining with a Spanish flair. The cuisine is more than familiar to Hollinger -- her mother came from Spain.

"Tapas is a hot trend in this country right now," she said.

She also plans to serve wine and specialty drinks in that section when it opens sometime after the fast-casual restaurant.

The gourmet grocery will focus on cuisine that is currently unavailable in Tulsa, Hollinger said. It'll have dedicated areas for cheese, fresh meat and to-go boxes, as well as pastries.

"Some of it will be more indulgent," she said.

A portion of the space will go toward expanding D'Novo's delivery service.

From: http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?articleID=20080201_5_E1_hTwor85083
breitee
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 08:33:53 am »

Sharon King-Davis, the owner and developer of KingsPointe Village, said she's thrilled to finally bring fine food back to 61st Street and Yale Avenue.

"What they've planned is absolutely spectacular for Tulsa," she said. "The idea of gourmet food done healthfully by a renowned Tulsa chef is right on target."

(Which shows again how out of touch she is.)
safetyguy
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:32:12 am »

She is just thrilled to have the empty space filled...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:03:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

(Which shows again how out of touch she is.)

Sounds great to me. [Cheesy] And its near where I live.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:26:42 am »

I wonder who's gonna sell homes for Sam now?  Anna Hollinger was in charge of selling his million dollar+ spec homes in South Tulsa.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
inteller
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:58:47 am »

Oh, this will last about as long as the other "fine foods" place that was there.  I look forward to the clearance sale.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:48:43 pm »

Nine months to a year is what I give it.  Their demographic would be better-served somewhere further to the south or close to Utica Square.

So far Kings Pointe has been the kiss of death for quite a few businesses.  Great traffic count, great pop numbers, just has not translated to great business with the exception of a few stores.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
inteller
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:53:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Nine months to a year is what I give it.  Their demographic would be better-served somewhere further to the south or close to Utica Square.

So far Kings Pointe has been the kiss of death for quite a few businesses.  Great traffic count, great pop numbers, just has not translated to great business with the exception of a few stores.

no, Bumgarner will tell you he couldn't get a Whole Foods at 101st/Memorial so south won't work either.

Even the gourmet place in the mall with EXTREMELY high foot traffic failed.

Only places like the Stock Pot which primarily sell gourmat utensils can survive.  This is the land of Frito Pie....people won't shell for gourmet food.
breitee
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 03:44:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

no, Bumgarner will tell you he couldn't get a Whole Foods at 101st/Memorial so south won't work either.

Only places like the Stock Pot which primarily sell gourmat utensils can survive.  This is the land of Frito Pie....people won't shell for gourmet food.

Agreed. Maybe she should market '57 Bevederes. Makes about as much sense. King is pitiful.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 04:49:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

Ewww do doubt. Working class people and kids go to "the mall".

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Wilbur
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 05:22:11 pm »

quote:

Is the entire place not full?  Hardly the kiss of death.  Perhaps the stores that didn't make it was because of what they sell, not because they are in Kings Point.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 07:42:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

quote:

Is the entire place not full?  Hardly the kiss of death.  Perhaps the stores that didn't make it was because of what they sell, not because they are in Kings Point.

No it's not full, still some empty store-fronts, mostly in the north building.  Some have been occupied and are no longer.  You are correct the owner or product can have every bit as much to do with the failure.

Other than Pei Wei, Maggie Moo's, and Jamba Juice, I don't think anyone's made it in that building for more than a year.  I might have missed one other in there.

The Market failed.  I mean "DUH".  That should be a good sign to these folks that a Petty's does great in Utica Square but won't make it in that area.

There is a hair salon that went out (okay, those can be flaky people).

Abruzzi's went out (that surprised me, food and service were great every time I went, pretty good crowds, old Aloisio Family recipes).

There are a few other empty store-fronts.

Wilbur, I get that the restaurant business is volatile.  Failure to pay beverage taxes or vendors will close the best business.  I honestly don't have a clue what happened with Abruzzi's.  Let's see how Andale's does.

I wish the Hollingers all the sucess in the world and hope I'm proven wrong in my prediction, I just don't see it flying.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 11:38:53 am »

opening a dining establishment will make you get a divorce and screw your partner.
I was it was a Trader Joe's or a Whole Food's.
Andale's was dead last Friday night at 8:30pm....their clock is ticking.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 12:00:41 pm »

The Market, was not at all like Pettys. You can go to Pettys and get your basic groceries and some high end unique stuff. The Market didnt have you basic grocery store supplies. It was almost all niche and unique things, plus a lot of ready made product that was expensive. I remember seeing the food counter and knowing that they werent going to sell even a quarter of that every day. That was a looot of money being lost. I remember trying to find some fruit juice for instance. They didnt have your ocean spray or anything like that. Pettys does. All the Market had was odd ball racks of things I had never heard of in glass bottles. Thats great fun to have and I can see people buying it. But there again it wasnt a place where you could go and actually get real groceries plus something "unique and interesting" It was all "unique and interesting". So you would have to want to make a special trip there for that reason. Not to get your groceris for the week.

I went to a really nice "high end" grocery store when I was in Tucson. It had the great decor, stone walls, stained concrete floors, fountains, displays on antique furniture, sleek stylish modern displays, high end wine section part of which looked like an old wine cellar,  ready made food and dessert counters, eating area that also had a nice outdoor section, it had unique items but also had your basic everyday products and needs at the same price you would find anywhere else.  You could do your usual shopping there and treat yourself to something special, shopping experience wise and food wise as well.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 12:36:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ARGUS

opening a dining establishment will make you get a divorce and screw your partner.
I was it was a Trader Joe's or a Whole Food's.
Andale's was dead last Friday night at 8:30pm....their clock is ticking.

Andale's was good at their previous location, but it didn't allow dine in. Delivery or carryout only.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org