A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 05:35:22 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Schools  (Read 5919 times)
swimtoon
« on: February 01, 2008, 10:07:08 am »

Has anyone had their child harshly disciplined for a uniform infraction in TPS middle school?  My straight A, never in trouble student now has Sat. school because a little bit of his undershirt was showing under his hoody?  Anyone think it's crazy to be so harsh on an otherwise great representative of the school?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:17:50 am »

Did your child say it was because "a little bit of  his undershirt was showing" or the school?

What was the undershirt, just a plain white undershirt?

When it comes to discipline, it shouldn't matter if you have A's or F's, rules are the same. Do you think he was treated unfairly for a C student?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 10:25:57 am »

My son is in TPS and if anything, their discipline has been too lax.  He has never had a "uniform infraction" that resulted in anything more than a note home saying "can no longer wear pants with outside pockets."  Or whatever.

I'm guessing your snow flake is telling a different version of the story.  Kids have a tendency to make themselves the victim in the story.  I find it hard to believe and out of character  that TPS would hand out Saturday school for such a thing.

FYI, my son is in elementary school, perhaps it is stricter or a reoccurring problem or a sudden point of emphasis?  It just doesn't match what I see with my nearly straight A always in trouble boy (a dichotomy, I know).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:31:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by swimtoon

Has anyone had their child harshly disciplined for a uniform infraction in TPS middle school?  My straight A, never in trouble student now has Sat. school because a little bit of his undershirt was showing under his hoody?  Anyone think it's crazy to be so harsh on an otherwise great representative of the school?

At my child's school (not TPS) my daugher can get sent home if she does not have a belt on.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swimtoon
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:34:52 am »

My son was told the other day that from now on if they get in trouble for anything it's Sat. school, period.  I don't believe that I've been sent anything stating any changes in the way discipine was handed out.  I will be hunting down the handbook today.  He was devestated that he got in trouble.  He never gets in trouble.  His teachers at parent-teacher conferences said that "if only all their students were like him".  So, for being a good student and just not noticing that some of his undershirt was showing he goes to Sat. school.  His dad likened it to having a tail light out and don't know.  Then let's say a cop pulls you over and you go straight to jail.  Come on!  All I ever hear is the uniforms are required for the safety of the children.  I don't think his white t-shirt was going to jump out and bite anyone.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 10:48:13 am »

1. Call the school and get the story.  See what he really did.

2. If the policy is Saturday school for untucked shirts, so be it.

Seems doubtful that a public school would go to such lengths.  My private school had detention for shirt out, no belt, etc. - but it seems doubtful at a public.  If they are, kudos.  Kids get away with too much today anyway.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swimtoon
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:08:46 pm »

I just spoke to the principal about this.  Yes I can see the point that it's the rules and that it doesn't matter if he's a straight A student or not.  My problem is this is maybe the second time this year that his undershirt was not tucked in and he goes to sat. school.  I was also told that it doesn't matter what the infraction is, they go to Sat. school.  I would like to know what the circumstances were that they would send every child to Sat. school no matter how serious the infraction. Is that really fair to the kids who may have just forgotten to tuck after possibly using the restroom compared to the kid who intentionally breaks the rules.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:25:51 pm »

It's not the end of the world....Get over it....You best be teaching him some skills on how to deal with things such as this....Life is going to be full of them......

swimtoon
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 02:02:17 pm »

So it would be ok with you if the new law was that no matter the traffic violation you went to jail?  Broken tail light or DUI, go to jail.  I don't think I want to teach my child to just "get over it".
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 02:11:40 pm »

I agree swim, it sounds a bit harsh.  Not the end of the world, but an equal punishment for shirt-not-tucked-in and telling a teacher to "get bent" seems strange.  If nothing else, it seems the effort to enforce the former in such manner would not be justified (as opposed to a "tuck it in now" sit and wait to annoy the kid).

But, the toast master is correct.  It is not really an issue worth instilling your child with a sense of angst over.  You take up the fight if you wish, but tell your kid to just show up and be polite.

My 2 cents anyway.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 02:15:38 pm »

It's not jail - it's saturday school. If it is that painful for him - he'll probably never have another infraction.

As a parent, my only concern would be that the rules are enforced equally for everyone. If that's the case - whatever. Do saturday school and forget about it. If not, you have a valid complaint.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 03:16:24 pm »

File a lawsuit. CF, you take plaintiff work?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 04:16:01 pm »

I do business & compliance work, while I have had to be on the plaintiffs side it is not what one would call plaintiffs work.

And by the way swimtoon, welcome to Tulsa Now!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swimtoon
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 04:32:40 pm »

Thank you for the welcome!  Sorry I'm just a little perturbed about all this.  Also, I believe that it's lawsuits that put us in the position we're in now.  If the school system didn't have lawsuits to worry about they could actually discipline the kids who don't follow the rules.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 04:42:44 pm »

One thing to consider is that if the rule is "no untucked shirt" or whatever. If one kid gets away with it, even accidentally, and the other kids see that..."well he had his shirt out the other day! Why should I get in trouble for it?" there goes your discipline and sense of fairness.

It reminds me of the NY city thing when they started getting everyone for even small things, like jay walking, people threw a fit about it but soon the crime rate plummeted.(yes I know that wasnt the only reason). Its now safer in NY city than Tulsa. If you get em with the small stuff it sends a signal and draws a line, creates a different social context, in which the more serious infractions are all the more shocking and less frequent.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org