A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 01:36:05 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Chamber fights 1804  (Read 1608 times)
perspicuity85
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:42:36 am »

Article

I don't care what anyone says, this law goes too far.  

"The organizations supporting the in junction explained that the lawsuit focuses on those provisions of HB 1804 which impose unreasonable burdens on Oklahoma businesses and puts them at a disadvantage compared to competitors in other states, and that HB 1804 puts businesses in the impossible position of having to comply with conflicting federal and state laws." - US Chamber.

HB 1804 makes Oklahoma look like a racist, poor, uneducated, backwards, and anti-business state.  Perception is everything.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:08:00 am »

This article makes me from HB1804. These companies  and the chamber could give a rat's behind about people's rights. It's starting to hit their bottom line, and more importantly, the deadlines for employers to be held responsible are coming up.

All HB1804 is strengthen enforcement of already in existence laws. They aren't running because all the sudden NOW they are illegal. They're running because we just started enforcing it.

That being said, I don't believe people should be locked up just because they don't have ID on them or for routine traffic stops. That is above & beyond the scope of the law.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:23:56 am »

The law is a somewhat zealous attempt to correct decades flawed Federal policy.  

Our immigration laws are close to be xenophobic yet our economy and society since our founding have relied on immigration.    Oh how we hate them - stupid Irish, I mean Eastern Europeans, I mean Chinese, I mean Mexicans.  But no matter how much we hated them they came and took the jobs on the lowest rung as farm laborers, textile workers, coal miners, railroad workers, and servants for yard and housework.

Under current federal law not enough skilled or unskilled workers are allowed in to fill the demand.  The inevitable result is a black market for labor.  Since companies and people demand the labor and the demand driven supply is so vast - earnest enforcement is nearly impossible.  But because of our zealous nature we have managed to make official policy anti-immigration, so the government doesn't touch the problem.

Love it or hate it, HB1804 is a response to a flawed Federal policy.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org