A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 04:14:46 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) QT Park - 41st & Riverside  (Read 69574 times)
stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2008, 06:38:54 pm »

and I doubt all of this rain is helping things along

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2008, 01:08:54 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist
[br
I can't believe they are going to be able to do all that work in 3 months. The land prep and the stonework around the waterfall, the electrical and pipe work for the water features... They will really have to book it.

Quicktrip's construction personnel has better kung fu than city construction personnel maybe?  That's a guess on who will be doing the work.
waterboy
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2008, 01:56:41 pm »

Take a last look at the treed banks. RPA is busy eliminating alot of them so that the river is more visible from the street. The result will not be an improvement as the river is just not that attractive along that area. Worse than that, removing the trees greatly increases erosion along the bank. Ironic that improvements will actually de-stabilize the banks! Some parts of the path past 61st are actually now right next to the bank.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2008, 02:42:32 pm »

I agree, boy who likes water.

The riparian ecosystem uses that vegetation as a filter to help clean out impurities before they get to the river.

But people want to see the river and people like to get as close to the river as possible, even when they bike or jog.

I just hope they understand the need for balance in the river improvements.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2008, 03:21:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

The riparian ecosystem uses that vegetation as a filter to help clean out impurities before they get to the river.

But people want to see the river and people like to get as close to the river as possible, even when they bike or jog.

Looks to me like the only runoff that would be filtered would be that between the road and the river, at best. Most of the other water just goes into the river via drainage pipes and such without a chance to be filtered by anything.

However, I always say there should be a variety of different and designated areas along the river from; nature preserve, to park (where you could tidy up right down to the bank) to low density and high density development. Each area would look different, have different concerns and use different means for shoreline stabilization.

I wonder if it would be possible in those park areas that are cleared out down to the river, for them to do some terracing like they did at the Centennial Park and use those really large stones.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:22:40 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2008, 10:37:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

+1

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2008, 02:00:53 pm »

That's great news that Tulsa is building and expanding the jogging trail system. I'd like to see the dog owners use the new dog parks that Tulsa now has and let the runners have the trails and be free of the dogs and the dog poop. Does Tulsa have alot of races for runners? We have alot in Ohio and they leave race info and sign up sheets about upcoming races at our trail heads. I never noticed info about races at the RiverSide jogging trails parking areas. In Columbus, Ohio next month is the famous Half-Marathon race, they run it on the Heritage jogging trail in Hilliard, Ohio at 8am sharp. I'm thinking about signing up this year, if I can improve my pace. I ran a 5K 2 weeks ago and got second place in my age group with a time of 25:30, I need to work on speed to get a good time in a 13 mile race. They did a 10 mile run too and the top dog runners got a time of 1:05- 1:10 in the 10 mile run. Very impressive running, That is a super job.[Smiley]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 02:03:44 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2008, 02:04:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

That's great news that Tulsa is building and expanding the jogging trail system. I'd like to see the dog owners use the new dog parks that Tulsa now has and let the runners have the trails and be free of the dogs and the dog poop. Does Tulsa have alot of races for runners? We have alot in Ohio and they leave race info and sign up sheets about upcoming races at our trail heads. I never noticed info about races at the RiverSide jogging trails parking areas. In Columbus, Ohio next month is the famous Half-Marathon race, they run it on the Heritage jogging trail in Hilliard, Ohio at 8am sharp. I'm thinking about signing up this year, if I can improve my pace. I ran a 5K 2 weeks ago and got second place in my age group with a time of 25:30, I need to work on speed to get a good time in a 13 mile race. They did a 10 mile run too and the top dog runners got a time of 1:05- 1:10 in the 10 mile run. Very impressive running, That is a super job.[Smiley]

Check out www.okrunner.com

The 15K Tulsa Run is probably the best known run in town...and I love the distance (a little unusual to have a 15K race...not too many around). And the Route 66 Marathon/Half Marathon will have it's 3rd annual this fall.

Tulsa is a great racing town. You can usually find a 5K just about every weekend.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2008, 02:52:08 pm »

Have a young friend that just moved here from Fayetteville Ar. Moved up to the "big city". He is a runner nut who runs religeously. But needless to say there wasnt much of that in Fayetteville, and people teased him about it there lol. He moved to some apartments right there on 41st and Riverside, the day of the Tulsa Run. So there he was with his U-haul and friends and Riverside full of thousands of runners. He thought he had come to runner heaven lol. He is kind of a sci-fi nerd too and his friends were joking and saying "OMG! Look, the mothership has landed and come to take you home!" [Tongue]  He loves living here now with so many "others of his kind" lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2008, 04:20:35 pm »

quote:

Have a young friend that just moved here from Fayetteville Ar. Moved up to the "big city". He is a runner nut who runs religeously. But needless to say there wasnt much of that in Fayetteville, and people teased him about it there lol. He moved to some apartments right there on 41st and Riverside, the day of the Tulsa Run. So there he was with his U-haul and friends and Riverside full of thousands of runners. He thought he had come to runner heaven lol. He is kind of a sci-fi nerd too and his friends were joking and saying "OMG! Look, the mothership has landed and come to take you home!" [Tongue]  He loves living here now with so many "others of his kind" lol.

Sci-fi nerds or runners?

The two generally don't mix.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2008, 04:35:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by charky

quote:

Check out www.okrunner.com

The 15K Tulsa Run is probably the best known run in town...and I love the distance (a little unusual to have a 15K race...not too many around). And the Route 66 Marathon/Half Marathon will have it's 3rd annual this fall.

Tulsa is a great racing town. You can usually find a 5K just about every weekend.

WoW that's great. The link says a race is coming up this Friday July 18 and another on Saturday July 19th. Both are short 5K runs, that's still not bad. A bigger event is on July 27th..[Smiley]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:37:58 pm by sauerkraut » Logged

charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2008, 05:04:17 pm »

quote:
WoW that's great. The link says a race is coming up this Friday July 18 and another on Saturday July 19th. Both are short 5K runs, that's still not bad. A bigger event is on July 27th..[Smiley]

Yeah...the Mohawk 5000 on the 19th is a good run. You can probably count on 400-500 runners for that one.

There's a couple of 5K's each year that will get over a 1000 runners.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2008, 06:11:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

Sci-fi nerds or runners?

The two generally don't mix.

They were talking about runners. But there are probably more of both in this town.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2008, 01:02:53 pm »

quote:

Indeed, not all cities have jogging trails. Nashville, TN. is just starting to build some. I googled it and many of the trails there are short. Indianapolis is building a system of jogging trails, the Monon Trail opened in the early 1990's and is about 10 miles long and is always real busy. We here in Columbus, Ohio have many jogging trails for runners and  Omaha, NE has tons of jogging trails with no street crossings, the whole city built a network of trails as does Denver, Colorado. I know how your jogging friend must feel, I would never live in a city without jogging trails, I do not run on the streets & roads it's dangerous, you get hit with beer cans and there is no scenry and no other runners around. I hear OKC is building alot of trails.[Smiley]

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2008, 12:41:13 pm »

quote:

"Renovation of the River Parks gathering area located at 41st & Riverside Drive was announced in April, 2008, when QuikTrip Corporation unveiled plans for the project, which is estimated to cost from $2.5 to 3 million. All-new park elements will include a playground, water play areas, interactive fountains, a shelter and new restroom facilities. This gift to Tulsa comes as QuikTrip Corporation celebrates its 50th anniversary. QuikTrip plans to dedicate the plaza on Thursday, September 25, 2008 as a part of the corporation's anniversary festivities."

I can't believe they are going to be able to do all that work in 3 months. The land prep and the stonework around the waterfall, the electrical and pipe work for the water features... They will really have to book it.

January is the new September.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org