A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 07:16:50 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T.U. needs a coffehouse  (Read 7775 times)
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« on: May 01, 2008, 05:55:45 pm »

werd up! hardwoods will be the new location of a new coffeehouse.
maybe called "coffefodder".
standard internet forum disclosures on all but the name....wink wink...grin.
Sounds good to me as the area needs one.

Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 06:35:57 pm »

Count me in. I'd be there.
mrhaskellok
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:09:13 pm »

Get me some information...I run a couple coffee shops...if you think the numbers are there let me know.  

Where would you want to see it?  What hours?  Are people there all year?
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:18:06 pm »

TU students don't really drink that much coffee. Those who do already go to Shades of Brown, or Starbucks, or QT, or the coffee cart on campus. I think the limited market is already pretty saturated. [Sad]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:18:30 pm by TURobY » Logged

---Robert
mrhaskellok
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:07:51 pm »

That is what I had seen...but I am always ready to be wrong.  If something changes or anyone has a different perspective, I would love to hear it.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 12:03:26 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

TU students don't really drink that much coffee.

As opposed to any other student body in the United States?  What, are they all Mormon?  Come on, it's college.  I'm sure thy need caffeine . . .

In other words, I doubt it's a demand issue.  Probably more an issue of supply combined with opportunity.  Sounds like somebody has figured that out.
dsjeffries
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 12:23:17 am »

As a current TU student, there isn't a large group of students who DOESN'T go to Starbucks, Coffeehouse on Cherry Street, Gypsy or Shades of Brown.  I think a coffee house across the street from campus would do alright... not great, but alright.  We do have a coffee place in ACAC and one in the fitness center.

Really, I think it's not the proximity of the place to campus... People at TU want to see and be seen on Cherry Street, Brookside or Utica Square; NOT a strip mall.

Generally speaking, of course.

Personally, I think TU students are more likely to visit a place like Alisee Momo next to Circle Cinema.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:24:49 am by dsjeffries » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:36:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

TU students don't really drink that much coffee.

Obviously, the curriculum is too easy then.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:32:51 am »

There was a coffeehouse...  Saffron.  It was a nice little place, art on the wall, plenty of space, decent coffee and they tried to embrace the students.  It failed.

Currently there are coffee shops on campus in the ACAC and the Fitness Center, as well as coffee in most loungers and cafeterias.  Thrown in QT and BK and there are two more places to get a shot of joe.  Unfortunately, I don't think the students would support another coffee shop near campus.

Plus, Hardwoods needs to be a sports bar.  There are no sports bars near midtown - a failure to make money as the only sports bar near the richest area of town and across from a college is an amazing feat.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
perspicuity85
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 09:30:52 am »

TU needs a place like this.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 10:02:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

Funny story, perspicuity:  

I helped open Common Ground's predecessor, Emerald Coast, in 1993ish, right there on Dickson St.  Same building, same set up, pretty much same everything except that the colors were green rather than red. I bartended there for several years and had some really fantastic times.

The original owner was a businessman from Tulsa, who saw an opportunity across the border and took a big chance.  Dickson at that point was sketchy after dark and catered almost exclusively to the biker/drifter set. Turns out, almost 15 years later (and after an ownership swap), it's still a great and successful concept and was a major cornerstone for Dickson's revitalization.

Gold
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 11:36:32 am »

Saffron was a neat idea, but it just wasn't that great.  They meant well.  They opened up right about the time Tulsa finally got Starbucks.

Their food wasn't that great.  Really not much reason to go back.  I tried to frequent it while I was in school and I just didn't see much value.

What TU really needs is a place that has great food, coffee, and beer.  There's nothing but fast food, Mexican, and Wilson's (which is neither the Wilson's I grew up with or really worth going to).  A couple of the earlier incarnations of Hardwood tried to have food (one place was 24 hrs).  

The problem is that in the summer, that area is dead and you can't keep decent help around.  The bars will make up for that with letting underage kids in (Hardwood was busted for that a time or two, JR's was always busted for that) until they get in trouble; they'll also do awful events like ladies night (really bad to go to when TU isn't in session).

If someone had some good food that could draw regulars in from around town during the off times, it would work.  Until then, bah.
wordherder
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 01:59:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

quote:

I helped open Common Ground's predecessor, Emerald Coast, in 1993ish, right there on Dickson St.  Same building, same set up, pretty much same everything except that the colors were green rather than red. I bartended there for several years and had some really fantastic times.

The original owner was a businessman from Tulsa, who saw an opportunity across the border and took a big chance.  Dickson at that point was sketchy after dark and catered almost exclusively to the biker/drifter set. Turns out, almost 15 years later (and after an ownership swap), it's still a great and successful concept and was a major cornerstone for Dickson's revitalization.

Oh lord, as a former Fayetteville resident I absolutely LOVE Common Grounds.  Great food, great atmosphere, great place to meet folk and hang out.  Went back there last year and it's still great.

Saffron... I think the situation there was caused by the owners, who in my experience were pretty unreliable.  They had a DJ there for a while some nights, but he got fed up and quit when the owners kept closing the place early without letting him know.  Guy just showed up to find the place dark and shuttered.  A better-run coffeehouse would have a much better shot.
perspicuity85
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 02:04:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

quote:

Let's get that original to build a Common Grounds in Tulsa!  CG is a great concept, they serve as a coffee house and bar all in one.  It's certainly a great place to sober up, or continue drinking, after a night on Dickson.  The pizza is outstanding, as well as all other food I have tried there.  It's a big hit with U of A students and local residents.
TheCollective
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 10:54:01 am »

Hello,
I am glad to see that there is some discussion around the idea of a coffeehouse in the old Hardwood's joint.
I am in fact currently renovating the space to be a cafe, coffeehouse, and bar called The Collective. Our website is www.thecollectivetulsa.com, if anyone is interested, or wants more information please email us at thecollectvietulsa@gmail.com.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org