A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 08:28:08 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phillips 66 gas station deceptively luring drivers  (Read 7026 times)
zstyles
Philanthropist

« on: May 07, 2008, 01:54:54 pm »

This is BS...went to Readers 66 gas station today at 2406 E 21st St...to get gas..sign said gas 3.39 a gallon on the sign unleaded..I pull up...NOPE that is for ETHONOYL

"When consumers see an advertised price they have a reasonable expectation to easily find the pump with that price"(see story below)

Now, their 90/10 blend is 89 in stead of 87
which is the same price as QT 90/10 blend
87 but their 87 100% is higher than 87 100% elsewhere they are screwing people by getting them to pull in and once there..people (not me) are just paying for what they are since they are already there..I called the owner and he said "well no one else in town tells your this and this and this.." we asked him if that made it right and he said..well it doesn't make it wrong does it.....BBBBBBSSSSSSS....

Here is a story in another state of someone doing exactly this...

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/09/29/news/nebraska/ba3c62de890f02f686257365000dde01.txt
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 02:08:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by zstyles

This is BS...went to Readers 66 gas station today at 2406 E 21st St...to get gas..sign said gas 3.39 a gallon on the sign unleaded..I pull up...NOPE that is for ETHONOYL

"When consumers see an advertised price they have a reasonable expectation to easily find the pump with that price"(see story below)

87 but their 87 100% is higher than 87 100% elsewhere they are screwing people by getting them to pull in and once there..people (not me) are just paying for what they are since they are already there..I called the owner and he said "well no one else in town tells your this and this and this.." we asked him if that made it right and he said..well it doesn't make it wrong does it.....BBBBBBSSSSSSS....

How the 66 station at 21st & Lewis gets you is that the low price is for their mid-grade Ethanol.  So when first-time customers pull in and automatically select the low-end button, it's actually for the more expensive gas and they've filled up before they catch the mistake.
Drive a couple of blocks east and get your gas for about 5-10 cents less.

Edit:  They eventually put stickers on the mid-grade pumps indicating they were the posted price.  The "100%" price is really high though -- perhaps reflecting the true price of gas without the ethanol filler?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:56:49 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:27:19 pm »

Come on Lawyer types.  This is excellent fodder for a suit.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 02:31:54 pm »

quote:

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/09/29/news/nebraska/ba3c62de890f02f686257365000dde01.txt

Every pump is 90/10 blend at every station. Different stations just use a different ingredient in their 10%.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 03:23:53 pm »

So then if that's the case, he should go sue every station that says they have 100%

You get the moron of the day award....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 03:28:31 pm »

The Fiesta Mart on 81st near TCC SE, was advertising gas at, I believe, $3.24 per gallon.

In very small print at the bottom of the sign it says: "with car wash purchase".  Otherwise it's the same $3.39 crap everyone else is selling.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 04:01:20 pm »

quote:

So then if that's the case, he should go sue every station that says they have 100%

You get the moron of the day award....

Congress passed a bill making it legal to refer to E10 gasoline or less as "100% gasoline".  So you can't sue!

The reasoning was that people were more likely to buy E10 if they believed it to be just as good as pure gasoline.  E10 is slightly less efficient, has no environmental benefit it also costs more to manufacture, but because ethanol subsidies to farming communities convert into votes in the midwest, our leaders have done everything they can to put E10 in our tanks.

The result is less feed grain, soybeans, and produce.  Everyday more farmers are converting their crops to hard corn so that they can cash in on the guaranteed subsidies.  This results in higher food costs, higher fuel costs, and a non-sustainable energy source (it currently costs more energy to produce ethanol than the final product produces).

Thanks Nancy, George and the gang!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 12:40:22 pm »

well, technically you can still sue, it just makes winning whole lot harder.
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 03:07:52 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

The Fiesta Mart on 81st near TCC SE, was advertising gas at, I believe, $3.24 per gallon.

In very small print at the bottom of the sign it says: "with car wash purchase".  Otherwise it's the same $3.39 crap everyone else is selling.

Oh good gosh, to have 3.39 back![B)]
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 01:29:35 am »

It clearly says on their sign, PLUS.  Their 89 octane gas sells for the same price as QuikTrip's 87 octane.  They are both 90/10 gas/ethanol at QT and Reeders.  You are getting a slightly better deal on the 89 octane at Reeders.

You are getting a BETTER deal on their 87 octane, which is ethanol free (call it 100% gas, or 10% MTBE - who cares.  You aren't burning corn at a net energy loss) - than you are getting on the 89 octane (or 87 octane at QT) selling for 13 cents less.  At 3.50 a gallon that is about a 3 and a half percent increase in price, but people are reporting results in the range of 5 to 15 percent better with traditional gas versus ethanol.  It is actually CHEAPER even though the price is higher because the performance more than makes up for the difference.  THAT DOESNT EVEN TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE FACT THAT YOU ARE HELPING RAISE FOOD PRICES AND CREATE FOOD SHORTAGES, AS WELL AS PROPPING UP A VOTE-GETTING SCHEME VIA FARM SUBSIDIES!!

Quit buying ethanol.

joiei
City Father

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 04:34:35 am »

quote:

Their reader sign now says 100% gas available.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:18:51 am »

Please post the fact that you can get 100% gas in Berryhill at the 90/10 price everywhere else, while Reeders is adding an additional amount to the price for mixed?!?!?!

Call Berryhill, then call reeders
get the 100% gas price at both locations.

If they're the same, then NBD, but if reeders is 8 cents a gallon more, then have them explain why.

They sell more volume than berryhill does.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 08:19:36 am »

quote:

Quit buying ethanol.

AGREED! I have not bought gas at QT in over two months.....
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 09:05:23 am »

quote:
Originally posted by YoungTulsan

THAT DOESNT EVEN TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE FACT THAT YOU ARE HELPING RAISE FOOD PRICES AND CREATE FOOD SHORTAGES, AS WELL AS PROPPING UP A VOTE-GETTING SCHEME VIA FARM SUBSIDIES!!

Quit buying ethanol.

I would burn 100% ethanol for this reason.

If everyone would quit paying for CORN McNuggets and fries fried in CORN oil with their CORN coke and their apple pie drenched in CORN syrup and again fried in CORN oil then we wouldn't have this problem. In every single case CORN is used it is replacing healthier ingredients and only used because of the US governments push for corn production. If corn became harder to get we would use healthier oils, sugar, and other better ingredients. We wouldn't cute the US obesity problem but we'd make a big dent.

http://www.amazon.com/King-Corn-Michael-Pollan/dp/B0012680D0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1210690840&sr=8-4
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 05:50:27 pm »

From 6's website:

INCOG's air quality expert says there is one thing is not helping Tulsa's air.  It's the ethanol blended fuel that is saving gasoline, but actually increases pollution.

"If you blend 10% ethanol into the gasoline, you increase the volatility of the gasoline and that increases emissions," said INCOG's Nancy Graham.

The pure gasoline some stations sell costs a little more, but it burns cleaner, according to Graham.

Regardless of the ethanol content, all Tulsa area stations will continue selling a lower polluting blend during the Ozone Season between June and September.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org